PDA

View Full Version : Full throttle shutoff

Tharrell
05-21-2005, 05:59 AM
I've been running the throttle down and letting my mower run a little at low rpm before shutting it down to avoid that "pop" when it's shutoff. I remember reading on here about it, a lot of people posted about it. Well, it only reduces the "pop". I was on the "throne" and the handiest thing to read was the owners manual for my engine! It said to shut down at full throttle! It works, no "pop" at all. Now, I started to run it down like before and then remembered what I read so I ran it back up and shut it down. Maybe that's why I didn't get any "pop".

TLS
05-21-2005, 06:43 AM
I load the trailer, idle down, get off the seat, put the strap across, raise the gate, walk around, secure the strap, and reach over and turn the key off at the exact same time giving it about 2/3 throttle.

All you need to do is ensure that the throttle butterfly is wide OPEN at shutoff. I haven't had a "POP" in a few years now. I'm sure my muffler is thanking me!

Tharrell
05-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I mowed today and every time I shut down, I made sure the throttle was opened up and no pop at all.

mhunt
05-21-2005, 04:41 PM
exactly, all you're doing is letting the engine burn the extra fuel gradually as the motor turns over and dies instead of letting it back fire.

David Grass
05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
the newer Kohler engines should be cut off at FULL throttle, maybe some others with newer designs too. Old school was idle down. Things have changed