PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Deck Modification

Westbrooklawn
05-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I remember discussion recently about some who had modified the discharge opening on their Hustler decks to improve cut and discharge. What's the verdict... has it provided improvement?

I have a new 60" Hustler Super Z, but it doesn't have the new design deck. Even at normal speeds the cut is not as good as either my Exmark or Walker. If the mods would help I would be interested in details on how to do it, and the approximate cost (I understand new blades and spacers are required also).

Thanks in advance for any advice from those who have experience with this mod.

SuperFast
05-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I own a super mini Z 52" here is a picture or the mod done not a very good picture i cut 1inch across the top and 3inches a cross the bottem

captken
05-21-2005, 10:41 PM
But here are my pictures of the deck cutout modification. I have also included a picture of the Quickchute modified. I took 2 and 5/8 inches off the bottom, according to the literature that PJ provided.
It helps, as in as the original configuration, the 52" deck had the same discharge area as my Hustler walk, 37" go figure that one out.....the first picture is of the cutout.

captken
05-21-2005, 10:45 PM
This is a picture of the modified, battle weary Qwickchut.

captken
05-21-2005, 10:49 PM
mowers, work for MY living.

lampeslawnservice
05-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Captken, did you notice any effects to the cut quality (stripes especially) after you modified your Z. Been thinking about doing it but don't want to lose the vacuum, and ruin my stripes.

Shady Brook
05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
I have done the mod, and think it has improved dispersal by tossing the grass in a less concentrated area. I also think it clumps less in wet grass. It was a worthwhile mod for me. I don't think the blades and spacers give any benifit in cutting stalky weeds whatsoever. It is a needless expense to me. Double blades are vastly superior, and with the opened up chute make for an awesome cutting machine!

I am with you Captken, work em like a rented mule! :D

Soupy
05-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I remember discussion recently about some who had modified the discharge opening on their Hustler decks to improve cut and discharge. What's the verdict... has it provided improvement?

I have a new 60" Hustler Super Z, but it doesn't have the new design deck. Even at normal speeds the cut is not as good as either my Exmark or Walker. If the mods would help I would be interested in details on how to do it, and the approximate cost (I understand new blades and spacers are required also).

Thanks in advance for any advice from those who have experience with this mod.

The Mod helps to disperse the clippings better, but I doubt it will help the cut. I know from experience that a Hustler will give a poor cut quality if not setup right from the dealer. My first Hustler was not perfect and cut like crap. It took the dealer two tries to get it right. The latest Hustler came from a different dealer and has cut beautifully from day one. I demoed Exmark (can't speak toward the Walker) and felt the cut quality on the Hustler was just as good and overall the Hustler is hands down a better built mower.

Take the mower in and tell them to adjust the deck. If they say it is fine tell them to re level it anyway. I had to beg (and get Hustler involved) before my old dealer would level what he said was a perfectly level deck. After I got the mower back it cut a whole lot better.