PDA

View Full Version : Some People...

BCSteel
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
... just dont understand that they are paying for your expertise, its not free!

I let go of a couple of my bigger accounts in the winter to focus on smaller high end props. I get a call yesterday from one of the council presidents going something like this,
Him, "Hey this is Joe from Crappy Estates. Listen, our lawns look really bad this year."
Me, "Really? Thats too bad."
Him, "Ya it is. I was hoping you could tell me how you kept the lawns looking so good for the past 4 years so we could help the new guys to make our property look good again."
Me... silence :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:
Him, "The lawns are really yellow and thin. Theres lots of weeds starting to come in as well. Can you help us?"
Me, "No, I'm not on your payroll anymore."
Him, "So, we were good customers."
Me, "No, you were cheap customers remember? Thats why I'm not there this year. You didnt want to pay for a nice landscape."
Him, "But this guy is almost half of your price!"
Me, "Good, so you can have half your maintenance done. Sorry, your on your own."
Click.
Me, :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Toy2
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
You go boy!!!!What goes around comes around...you(he) get what you pay for....plus you stuck to your guns!!!

lawncare3
05-21-2005, 06:55 PM
BC- LMAO That's a good mans response. I like u keep it up. :)

BCSteel
05-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Its just one of those head-shaker things that makes you wonder wth are some people thinking. On the plus side, at least I have a funny work story now!

out4now
05-21-2005, 08:18 PM
ROTFLMBO...I can't believe he was actaully that dumb to call and ask that.

Tharrell
05-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Funny stuff! I guess you got some satisfaction from his call!

mosmgras
05-22-2005, 04:54 AM
Would you mind if I used that one in the future?

Shawns Lawns
05-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Great response you should have told him something that he would tell his new guy to do that would actually make it look worse. Then he would hire you back right after your price increase. :waving:

topsites
05-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Him, "But this guy is almost half of your price!"

Me: Well, so what's the problem ?

:-)

lawnwizards
05-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Great response you should have told him something that he would tell his new guy to do that would actually make it look worse. Then he would hire you back right after your price increase. :waving:
i think BCSteel dropped the customer to begin with.

BCSteel
05-22-2005, 10:21 AM

I drove by the place just to take a look. Maybe if the guys they had now took the time to level their deck a little that would help. They do leave some wicked scalp stripes though, I guess they love the extra work of bagging it short too. A little fert would do wonders for the lawns as well, possably even some herbicide for the weeds that are already taking over.

Its all basic maintenance but those new guys dont understand how to do it, I guess. I wouldn't go back to work for them now even if they doubled their previous price to me. They dont fall into my business plan any more. Point is I dont have to tell them to do anything different to make it look bad, they are doing a good enough job by themselves. Sweet, sweet satisfaction!! :angel:

Lux Lawn
05-22-2005, 10:34 AM
BCSTEEL
I lost one of my customers from last year to someone who is doing it cheaper as well.Its not the nicest property,its a corner lot by an elementary school so it always has a lot of trash on the property that has to be picked up before cutting.Anyways most of the work is on the spring &fall clean-ups because it is a heavily wooded lot,a friend of mine drove by the other day and saw an older guy cutting it with a tractor and had a hand held blower for clean-up after...there is no way he will be able to do her leaves.I know she will call me because we parted on good terms but I won't go back.She even said she liked my work so much that I could use her for referrals if I needed to.I can't see myself using someone who canceled on me for a referral when I have a full list of customers.

BCSteel
05-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Ah yes, the double edged sword. It sure is nice to be on the good side. Oh, we love your work, but were to cheap to pay that much. Or, well take you because your the cheapest, until we find someone cheaper. But when you have a full schedule your on the safest side of the sword, the handle.

green thum
05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
:rolleyes: bc lmao!!!!!good for you serves his cheap a## right.can't believe he had the nerve to call and ask you that!cheap## serves him right!!!!!!!