PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BP Blower / Spark arrestor

KERRTURF
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
My Stihl BP blower started to lose some power lately. When I got back home today, I thought I would try to figure out what was happening. To make a long story short, I found the spark arrestor to be all carboned up. After removing it, I started the unit back up. WOW what a difference! I am so impressed at the amount of volume I am getting now, that I am pretty sure it is better than new.
My question is this.... I can't see where it would hurt if I just left it out, but could there be any damage if the unit is operated without the spark arrestor?

ed2hess
05-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Just take it out and leave it out it don't seem to hurt anything. Obviously if you are in some dry woods you don't have spark protection so be aware of that fact.

KERRTURF
05-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Thats kind of what I thought. The only thing that concerned me was the change in back pressure since that screen is gone. I used it for about 30 minutes today, and didn't notice anything bad. Sort of like putting headers on a blower. :blob3:

cariboulou
05-22-2005, 09:55 PM
I always remoe the spark arrestor on all my 2 stroke items, so I dont ever have to deal with this poblem again. havnt had a prob yet over 3 yrs ago!

TURF DOCTOR
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
The first thing to go is the screen epa want them in in case of a fire hazard i have never bought anything that didn't need a modifying.

Lawn Masters
05-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I always remove the spark screens and clean them, or leave em out depending on the machine they go in. On backpack blowers, if you want to make it sound really cool, cut an opening in the muffler about 1/4" wide and 3/4" long, on Stihls it makes em sound like a dirtbike or large chainsaw, plus there's the power gains on newer models too.