PDA

View Full Version : Angle Grinder

Tharrell
05-22-2005, 04:39 AM
I bought an angle grinder from Lowes for $29 yesterday. I got tired of paying $4-6 each for blade sharpening. I always buy name brand stuff like DeWalt etc... but, this thing looks good and has a 2 year warranty. They must be serious about it because there's a receipt holder in the box, just take it back to Lowes for replacement. I solved my no-vise problem with my trailer rail and some vice grips. Oh yeah, it's also a variable speed unit.

mosmgras
05-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Add a 36 grit flap disc to that grinder and you've got one mean blade machine. That price sounds great!

shortgut
05-22-2005, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Tharrell]I bought an angle grinder from Lowes for $29 yesterday. I got tired of paying $4-6 each for blade sharpening. I always buy name brand stuff like DeWalt etc... but, this thing looks good and has a 2 year warranty. They must be serious about it because there's a receipt holder in the box, just take it back to Lowes for replacement. I solved my no-vise problem with my trailer rail and some vice grips. Oh yeah, it's also a variable speed unit.[/QUOTE/
Not a bad price we get our 4.5 " grinders from Harbor Freight I think they are about $15.00to $20.00 bucks their flap grinder pads are cheap though they do not last , best one I have found is at Wal-Mart

topsites
05-22-2005, 08:46 AM
I bought an angle grinder from Lowes for $29 yesterday. I got tired of paying $4-6 each for blade sharpening. I always buy name brand stuff like DeWalt etc... but, this thing looks good and has a 2 year warranty. They must be serious about it because there's a receipt holder in the box, just take it back to Lowes for replacement. I solved my no-vise problem with my trailer rail and some vice grips. Oh yeah, it's also a variable speed unit.

Yeah I've used the trailer rail before but the vise eventually scrapes the paint to the bare metal, then it rusts.
Nowadays, I usually hold the blade with one hand while I grind with the other.
What this does:
- Makes me pay CLOSE attention.
- Only allows light pressure from the grinder, less burn spots.
- Does a finer job.

Tharrell
05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
I bought a DeWalt disc, a couple of bucks.

McNeal Lawn
05-22-2005, 04:44 PM
I must have missed something when I have read other posts concerning using angle grinder to sharpen blades, presently I am using a angle grinder with metal disc, in this post mention was made of using 36 grit paper disc, please tell me why 36 grit paper disc is better. Thanks

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
I must have missed something when I have read other posts concerning using angle grinder to sharpen blades, presently I am using a angle grinder with metal disc, in this post mention was made of using 36 grit paper disc, please tell me why 36 grit paper disc is better. Thanks
That is a good guestion I use 50 grit put ontop of a metal cut off wheel. I don't take off much material when I sharpen. I am guessing that if you really want to grind the material away to take out big pits you would use the metal grinding wheel?

all ferris
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
buy a blade grinder and you'll be glad you did. You guys are sharping blades on mowers ranging in price from $2000 to $10000 with a $30 grinder? A blade grinder can be had for $400 and I have never had to replace the ruby wheel on my blade grinder (6 years old). With a blade grinder you always get a perfect bevel time after time.

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I haven't found any bench grinder that I thought could do mulch blades, does yours do those?

all ferris
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
I haven't found any bench grinder that I thought could do mulch blades, does yours do those?

Depends on the type of the mulch blade. It will do certain types. However, I don't mulch.

lwcmattlifter
05-22-2005, 08:22 PM
How long do those flap disc's and sanding pads last for you guys? I tried them once and all the sanding material wore off after sharpening two blades.

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
It depends on how agressive you are with getting "nicks" out of your blades. I do a minor amount of sharpening on blades so I do about 12 blades for each pad. Apparently the type of grasses you guys have up north requires a lot more sharpeing then what I feel I need here in the south. I mow two weeks on each set before sharpening. I use two sets of blades a year with the mower going about 25 hours a week for 200 days. I do inspect grass tips to ensure that I don't damage the tips.

mosmgras
05-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I use a 36 grit because the lower the grit number the cooler it will grind. I was using a 80 grit disc and I switched to a 36. I noticed that the blade was much cooler when finished. As I understand it, heating the blade up will take the temper out of the steel and cause the edge to break down quicker.

work4green
05-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Be very careful when sharpening with a high speed grinder. You'll notice the change in color when you start overheating. The color change is basically due to a crystal structure change in the metal- if its turning a tan/straw color your running around 400 degrees, blue is in the 550 range, purple is around 600-660 IIRC. You'll want to stay well below 400 degrees. Basically, if there are tan spots, those have been hardened, maybe more than the original temper of the blade. The hotter the spots are, the weaker(softer) the steel becomes as it cools. Now, granted, these spots are localized(shallow), and the blade probably wouldn't break because of it, but it may affect the longevity of the cutting edge.

I use a milwaukee 5" grinder with an adjustable variable speed motor. You can set the max speed really low for taking off small amounts of metal... But this grinder is probably running around 150 bucks, nowadays...