PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on an effecient way to finish this job

matthew horner
05-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm sowing bermuda. I've tilled. The ground is moist and the soil is organic, so rolling it compacts it so much that it is actually hard to rake. I have a box blade. Should I sow it and then lightly drag the blade? I want to avoid streaking, and I don't have much experience with bermuda as opposed to fescue. How well does bermuda come up at what depths? I'll be strawing on top and of cours adding amendments also.

Thanks so much

McNeal Lawn
05-22-2005, 05:51 PM
In my experience with bermuda grass seed, you have to have good seed to soil contact, either by rolling with a light plastic roller, or hand raking with a landscape rake, to insure grass seed is covered with soil.

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Obviously the best way is hydromulch but I have sowed it directly on top of the soil and started pouring water just like rye grass. It sure needs some hot tempertures to get up and of course it must stay wet for the entire two weeks it takes to germinate. I guess your straw will hold moisture and limit runoff correct?

matthew horner
05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, the ground is flat and will hold the moisture. I guess my concern is that certain areas will be loamy and certain areas will be compacted and I'm not certain how different those areas will come up with in seed. I think I'll grade it as best as I can with the box blade and sow it then roll it with a roller slightly filled then straw it. It will be plenty hot here. Anyone know what setting on my lesco 3-hole is best for bermuda seed. I'm guessing ------1?

Thanks

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Using that Lesco may be a problem I always use the hand held but of course if you are doing a big area that won't work very good. I think it is a good idea to use the roller to get that seed in contact with soil.

matthew horner
05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, It will be around 25000sqf. I'll just set it low and get one of the guys to push and push and push, or I'll do it myself.

Matt