PDA

View Full Version : Why do some of you think that you must discount a church?

siclmn
05-22-2005, 09:36 AM
They have a lot of members that can share the cost so why should you take the hit. And why would you discount anybody. You are a business. What business discounts you.

lawnwizards
05-22-2005, 09:42 AM
They have a lot of members that can share the cost so why should you take the hit. And why would you discount anybody. You are a business. What business discounts you.
are you pointing out a certain thread or just making a general assumption?

lawnman_scott
05-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Maybe its because they only have so many millions to work with
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/21/diocese.auction.ap/index.html

slow release
05-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I take care of a church & rectory and they pay the same as everyone else. Churches have more money than the average homeowner anyway so why should they pay less???

mower_babe
05-22-2005, 02:48 PM

We discount any non-profit organization and we have given $ to local park projects, done lower charge or gratis work for churches, we have sponsored many a ball team and rugby team. Many many reasons why, but top 4 in order of importance.

1) It is called Karma. Good stuff. :angel:
2) It gets people thinking warm fuzzy thoughts about your business (Good public relations ).
3) It sometimes gets your name in the paper or internet(Good Exposure).
4) Sponsoring can also be cheap advertising and all of the above also.

Pecker
05-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Although it seems like a nice idea to give a church a discount, if you really want to do something nice for a church, do the lawn maintenance for your own church for free.

Church is a business and it is set up as such. Businesses have expenses and if they have grass, lawn maintenance is one of those expenses.

Not speaking of churches specifically, but what alot of people fail to realize is the difference between for-profit, non-profit, and not-for-profit. Most people say non-profit when they mean not-for-profit. The main difference between for-profit and not-for-profit is what the business does with their profits. For-profit businesses either pocket the profits or reinvest them but they have to pay full taxes on those profits. Not-for-profits get a substantial tax break but are expected to reinvest their profits for the betterment of the community in which they serve rather than pocket the profits.

Feel free to give not-for-profits a discounted rate if you must, but understand that depending upon the legal organization of the organization, and odds are that you are likely the only one taking the hit.

Todd's lawncare
05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Alot of them do . Where do you get you mulch stone drit plants grass seed you do get a discount dont you ??

mower_babe
05-22-2005, 03:40 PM
That may be, but it does work for us. We have gotten alot of exposure and community support for it - not just churches, but Christian school districts, and veteran projects etc. It has really been a good thing that we started in the beginning when my step daughter was still in little league and we mowed the diamond at a discount and rolled free of charge, etc. Also, these are small communities, and this may not work in all places. Small town, USA.

mower_babe
05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Alot of them do . Where do you get you mulch stone drit plants grass seed you do get a discount dont you ??

I forgot to add that. That is true for us also. Pretty much where ever you go - contactor's discount.

surfisher211
05-22-2005, 03:49 PM
something such as a church i think i would give them a break , Besides allot of people go there and if you do a good job and treat them fair u may get lots and lots of work through a word of mouth :waving:

A+ Lawncare
05-22-2005, 04:16 PM
if u do something special or out of ur way for the lord like donating ur time or money for such things as a church or community he will reward u in heaven....

those who don't believe in doing good deeds such as donating time & money, do ya not go to church?

BSDeality
05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I charge just as much for churchs as i do for residentials. i do not believe in discounting work because it is "gods" property, my time is worth $x/hr. i don't care who is paying me that $x/hr.

PaulJ
05-24-2005, 01:37 AM
I mow and fert at 2 churches.
The one I attend gets a small discount on mowing and some small no charge things like spraying seeds in the cracks in the parking lot.
The other one that I con't attend gets reagular price.
Why the dicount at the one I attend? Just because, I wanted to "give" a little extra and I really wanted the mowing contract.

SOMM
05-24-2005, 02:20 AM
the only reason we'd discount a church is if we were going to have a retention problem with them on this year's contract.

we feel churches benefit from an LCO who is also a tithe-paying member.
good point A+ !

we like to sell churches with "if this was our church, we'd be ashamed to let it be seen this way!!"
lol!!

surfisher211
05-24-2005, 06:34 AM
i was giving this some more thought! lol , lets see about 4 yrs ago i had to have my son baptized and the church wanted us ( me and my wife) to make donation of $ 100 or more to be able to have my son baptized and it happened again with my first son which was 6 yrs ago so i take back what i said and i would not cut them a break! :waving:

lwcmattlifter
05-24-2005, 08:59 AM
I do mine for free, it's called stewardship.

The Captain
05-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I do the church I attend for free when I have the time. And I do make an effort to have the time at the end of Friday to get it done. I've got my route set so I finish the week near my church.

The reasons for the gratus work?

The work is just part of my weekly "contribution".

My monetary gifts can be better used for things I can't do. I think that the house of my heavenly Father should be as well or better maintained as that of my earthly father or my for that matter my home. I take great pride in all of them. Just my personal belief.

Also the client exposure is excellent. I've gained several new accounts because of the appearance of the church grounds. About fifteen hundred people see this every week end. Nice stripes on large open lawns. Looks really great!

We each do what we feel is correct and professional in our business and this is just a part of my approach.

Thanks for reading (listening to) some personel thoughts.....Jim

tinman
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Had a church call me the other day & say,,, "we are looking for a a LCo to mow the church Lawn for a tax write off until we are able to pay one". I asked him to repeat because it did not register with me at first. Then I asked him how big it was & how long it would be b4 they anticipated being able to pay. He said fairly big yard & no idea when they would be able to pay for the service. Told him no way I could take a loss like that even though I would like to help out.
Doing it for free would be crazy. Not to mention unfair to the other church I do charge.
Next point is if they can not pay, they must have very few members so the workload of "church work" is small right now. So the leaders should have time to do it themselves instead of asking for someone to do it for free.

MMLawn
05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
I charge just as much for churchs as i do for residentials. i do not believe in discounting work because it is "gods" property, my time is worth $x/hr. i don't care who is paying me that $x/hr.

Then from now on when you buy landscaping supplies/materials and lawn equipment make sure and not ask for a discount or do not except one in the form of their "contractors price" cause....you know their stuff is worth $x too no matter who is buying/paying for it.

I always discount churches by 10%....I condsider it tithing to that church just like I do when I write the checks to my church each week...and I don't do it to gain accts or for the advertising nor do I really care who agrees or doesn't cause I consider it done to honor God not any man, woman or child.

Drew Gemma
05-29-2005, 07:30 PM
i charge them more than normal cause they have a whole comunion putting money in the pot each and everyweek year around. They are always pita's cause we have to mow it on Friday plus they alwasy have a crappy cemetary attached. Then they always come out and chit chat about you should join are cult I mean church so we can suck our money right back out of your pocket or persuade you to do it for free! I currently mow 3 churches 2 have cemetaries they all pay premium cause Friday cut only waaaa! I 'll take their money at full price only they have a right to find anyone else no contracts here! Only ppl I discount is the government I only pay them 70% not the whole 100% hahah

kris
05-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Just a thought ...if money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

qualitylandscaping
05-29-2005, 07:57 PM
We mow about 15 churches. I gave them all a 20% break.. But have gained 300% on that discount from referrals and work generated through people going to church and seeing the quality of the work we do..

Like Mowerbabe, I also sponsor several baseball/softball teams, the downhill dummy race at the ski area in town, etc etc... In the end, the publicity pays for itself and its nice to give back to the communities that have given so much to me..

jim_g
05-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Be very careful when you mow for God.

He knows where every wheel mark is.