PDA

View Full Version : whybanpesticides.org

green_mark
05-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Take a look at a controversial topic up close and personal.

I have applied chemicals since I was 9 years old on my farm where it was my job to spray 2-4d on horse-weeds in our cattle pasture. We had a dog and he was always full of ticks. It was my job to "dust the dog" with a pretty purple powder. The ticks would fall out within minutes. It was great, we laughed as we stepped on them. I loved my dog. My parents thought our connection was so strong that each time I would get violently ill as a child (many times each summer) he would get sick with me. Amazing no one imagined why it would happen within a day of "dusting the dog"

Then, as an adult , I applied them for farmers professionally.

Treflan was so pretty in the container. Such a nice inviting color. Then when mixed with water it turned totally yellow.

It took years after I got sick and the tumors came to get the yellow out of my hands and fingernails.

Amazing, five professional applicators in our community. All of us suffered,
3 don't anymore, 1 is close to peace, I remain.

It's not our customers who are at worst risk. It's us!

While I realize no study directly links pesticides to directly causing adverse health effects. I don't see the FDA telling us to drink two glasses daily. But we do when we apply without PROTECTION.

If you insist on applying, please lotion up your entire body everyday. This will help. Also wear water repelling clothing. At least this stops most skin absorption as the point of entry. The next thing is to try to use a respirator. This is hard in the heat and unlikely to be used.

The last thing. Try a spray gun from www.rittenhouse.ca it is called the lawnjet gun. It keeps the spray closer to the ground and about 2' in front of you.

Be smart. Please.

Visit www.whybanpesticies.org and just read. Maybe what happened to me and my friends won't happen to you or your family.

nocutting
05-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Mark, after spending my youth as a lic. pesticde applicater [18-27], by 30 I developed a "Auto-Immune System" deficiancy, that among my own personal feeling on the enviroment led me to organics............I wore that "Dammed" respirator every-day, and usally a full rain-suit, rubber gloves, but again those were the days of "Cygon",chordane,& Dysyston.............Always loved those pesticide safety meetings where they told us the materials we were useing were safer than drinking caffinated coffee,.......................... :dizzy:

green_mark
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi Mark, after spending my youth as a lic. pesticde applicater [18-27], by 30 I developed a "Auto-Immune System" deficiancy, that among my own personal feeling on the enviroment led me to organics............I wore that "Dammed" respirator every-day, and usally a full rain-suit, rubber gloves, but again those were the days of "Cygon",chordane,& Dysyston.............Always loved those pesticide safety meetings where they told us the materials we were useing were safer than drinking caffinated coffee,.......................... :dizzy:

Sorry to hear you joined our fraternity of chemical victims. In the farming industry the chem companies came out and made sure to tell us how safe we were. In the 70's they always made it clear that the smell was just so we could tell it was sprayed and that no protection was needed other than possibly gloves.

This industry is going to become the next 2nd hand smoke.

We had a pesticide tanker roll over can catch fire in Minneapolis the other day. It closed the entire freeway for the day. I wonder if the state is going to handle this spill in the proper way? It sure avoided the national press but it was a very big event here.