PDA

View Full Version : welcome to the forum "Green_Mark"

BRANDMEL
05-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Mark, if you are who I think you are, There needs to be a (Lawn Care Hall of Fame) Your pesticide free approach should not go unrewarded. You have paved the way for many of us with your dedication and commitment to the chemical-free / organic turf movement. Just my way of saying thanks. :waving:

green_mark
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your comments. I am flattered to say the least.

For years I have been fighting the EPA for the right to allow this industry to exist, and now we can.

Last May the EPA and I went to federal court. The end result is that they are now willing to respond to what qualifies as exempt and what does not.

Today I received approval of 3 new labeled products added to 2 others that occurred within the last month.

Now, things are going to get interesting. Our part of the industry is now legitimatized and we can move forward to create effective replacements to industry "traditional" pesticides.

In Canada over 70 cities have banned pesticides and the industry has not collapsed as they predicted. What did happen is lawns that were generating $110.00 per year on a 1,000 sq ft lawn in Pointe-Claire is now generating in the area of $250.00.

All services rose to the challenge and have followed our examples that we freely made public so they would have every opportunity to succeed.

Pesticide ban's are good for our industry. One day people will see what this will do for all of us and at the same time protecting our employees, customers and the environment.

dvmcmrhp52
05-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your comments. I am flattered to say the least.

For years I have been fighting the EPA for the right to allow this industry to exist, and now we can.

Last May the EPA and I went to federal court. The end result is that they are now willing to respond to what qualifies as exempt and what does not.

Today I received approval of 3 new labeled products added to 2 others that occurred within the last month.

Now, things are going to get interesting. Our part of the industry is now legitimatized and we can move forward to create effective replacements to industry "traditional" pesticides.

In Canada over 70 cities have banned pesticides and the industry has not collapsed as they predicted. What did happen is lawns that were generating $110.00 per year on a 1,000 sq ft lawn in Pointe-Claire is now generating in the area of $250.00.

All services rose to the challenge and have followed our examples that we freely made public so they would have every opportunity to succeed.

Pesticide ban's are good for our industry. One day people will see what this will do for all of us and at the same time protecting our employees, customers and the environment.

Although I am not completely in the "organic" corner, The less pesticides used the better off we will all be if there is a truly "safe" alternative to todays often overused products.
Welcome and best wishes in your endeavors.............

Grandview
05-25-2005, 08:13 AM
The ban on pesticides may be generating more revenue/1000, but that is not good for the consumer. Typical liberal thinking.

dishboy
05-25-2005, 08:55 AM
The ban on pesticides may be generating more revenue/1000, but that is not good for the consumer. Typical liberal thinking.

Typical narrow thinking! True initially costs may be higher yet with safer products everybody as well as the health of the turf will benefit.

green_mark
05-25-2005, 05:10 PM

I have been told my business model is flawed as it is bad for the customer, the industry and surely I will fail.

An interesting observation is that we are taking away lawns everyday from companies who charge and do less.

Currently this program is being used in Canada on over 100,000 customers this year and the very companies who told me this program would not work asked me to train them. I did.

Today one of these companies ordered another 20,000 liters of product and has dedicated 16 trucks to this product. In 2006 they are converting the entire customer base of over 25,000 customers to it next season.

In short, they and their customers are overjoyed. Price and quality must go hand in hand then everyone is a winner.

BRANDMEL
05-25-2005, 05:24 PM
AMEN

hand in hand then everyone is a winner.[/QUOTE]

HK45Mark23
05-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Please fill me in on what you are talking about, I am into the organic concepts also, but I am just starting out and am totally green and uneducated. I am interested in any information and even a web site of yours that would fill me in and also showcase your products.

green_mark
05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Please fill me in on what you are talking about, I am into the organic concepts also, but I am just starting out and am totally green and uneducated. I am interested in any information and even a web site of yours that would fill me in and also showcase your products.

www.farmcropextracts.com
www.greenerpastures.net

also visit www.whybanpesticides.org and www.beyondpesticides.org

NattyLawn
05-26-2005, 09:57 PM

From what I've seen, organic programs are a little more expensive in the beginning, but in the long run the customer will save money. As the soil improves and thrives, less apps are needed. They won't need the Chemical LCO to dump 6 apps plus year after year. No aeration, as the thatch will be eaten naturally by microbes. No weed control, less fert...The list goes on..

Grandview
05-27-2005, 06:44 AM
So what is it. Do organic programs cost more or less. One is saying customers will be paying more/1000 and Natty is saying it will cost less. I aerated a lawn for a new customer this spring. After I was done the lady wanted me to broadcast her organic fertilizer. She had two 20 pound bags for 12,000 sqft. According to the label she needed 4-5 more. She said the fertilizer was 25.00/bag. I offered her a program of three applications of fertilizer/weed control @ 50.00/application. She went with my program. I am going to be applying more fertilizer plus weed control cheaper than what she can buy her organics.

BRANDMEL
05-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Could it be possible that the $25 bag of fert could be replaced with a 0.25 cent payup product at the feed store? Hummmm

Grandview
06-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Everything at the feed store cost more than 25 cents.

BRANDMEL
06-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Everything at the feed store cost more than 25 cents.
Some products I use are $20 ton! And they work! 20# per 1k sq.ft. x $.01 = .20 cents per 1k sq.ft. ?oops thats less than 25 cents? Mybad.... :confused:

NattyLawn
06-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I said in the long term, organics will save the customer money. That's coming from my experiences. I don't know how other companies do business. Once the soil is built up, the customer will not need as many apps to maintain the lawn. There are a lot of factors that can add apps, but this is a generalization, and factoring in good conditions.

kthhayes
06-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I have many customers that want organic lawncare, but want the chemicals to get fast results on weed control. I use very little herbicyde, and only on the the needed areas. The lawn gets stronger, thicker, and no more chemicals needed. Best trick yet is providing organic lawn care, but not telling customer. LOL They will later compliment me on "the best my lawn has ever looked..." then I tell them "it's ORGANIC" and they are sold! What is best, I dont have to explain the process, sell them on the idea, and overcome objections. Oh did I mention that they refer the hell out of my service? and to friends who have seen their lawn? and they dont want to know how it works, just that their lawn is that good, and its better for kids, pets, and the environment. Try selling with out telling. Fixing a lawn with chemicals is bad, but it is better than loosing the customer to a chemical lawn service.