PDA

View Full Version : dixie chopper

newblade
05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
What would make a dixie chopper cut better than, say an exmark? Why would dixie chopper be better. I own Exmarks and a friend of mine has bought a dixie chopper. I am just wondering what the technical differences are. I haven't seen him operate it yet either.

Gene $immons
05-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Nothing. A mower is a machine that spins a blade. I look for things like the deck, the ease of operation and the cost. I also am interested in ease of maintenance and dealer support more than brand name. I have a Dixie, love it. But... many other mowers will do just as good.

SOMM
05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
You'll know once you schedule a demo, and can operate it with one hand.

Having said that, we'll yield the floor to LawnSite's good friend's Richard Martin and Lawn-Scapes.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=354442

(a top bar search for "dixie chopper")

Lawn-Scapes
05-23-2005, 02:19 AM
You'll know once you schedule a demo, and can operate it with one hand.

Having said that, we'll yield the floor to LawnSite's good friend's Richard Martin and Lawn-Scapes.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=354442

(a top bar search for "dixie chopper")
Thanks for making me feel like I have to respond.. LOL

I don't know if I would say one is better than the other. As was said above.. you will need to demo and make a decision for yourself. Having owned a 60" Lazer Z for three years prior to the two 72" Dixie Choppers I currently own... I would have to give a slight edge to the Lazer in cut quality. Having said that... I wanted/needed something faster with more hp. So... I demoed a Hustler, Toro, Kubota and Dixie. I decided on the Dixie because none of the others had the speed/hp combo that Dixie offered. The cut quality was so close that it was a non factor. What really sold me was the comfort and smoothness of the Dixie. I didn't feel near the fatigue at the end of a day.. that I did on the Lazer. They are all great machines.. It's just that I prefered the Dixie.

Good luck.....

ChadA
05-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Thank You. No matter what mower you say is better than another there's always gonna be someone who says so and so makes a better machine. The fact is you could name 10 companies that make great machines. Who has tried them all on A daily basis to compare them, no one. As long at it does what you need it to do effectively and efficiently without problems then its a good machine.

Shady Brook
05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I am sure deck design plays a role in how well a given machine cuts. I have demod 3 choppers now, and thought all cut very clean. I am impressed with their cut, and have no great reasons why I think they do such a great job. I think in certain circumstances they excell my Hustler's, but in others I think they fall a bit behind. Not that they don't cut clean, just that I feel they fall off in the discharge of clippings when moist or wet.

That said, with a recent demo of their Ext Mow Machine, I would never opt for it over any of the major mowers. The quirky features are too much for me to take. I am sure you would get used to many of them, but for me, they are not an option no matter how great they cut.

To each his own.