PDA

View Full Version : For those of you in the business on your own

LawnBoy89
05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
What do you do if you get injured?

I'm only 16, I ride dirtbikes, and before I went riding at the track yesterday my mom told me to be careful because I would really be in trouble if I got hurt. I really don't know what I would do if I got hurt. Has this ever happened to any of you guys?

accuratelawn
05-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I worry about getting hurt also. The Raptor stays in the garage until October. I have several friends in the business, so I could sub my work if need be.

Stihl036pro
05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey do you ride at Milford riders? I used to race at that track on friday nights. I hear ya, im 24 now and when I was 16 I would ride and not worry about getting hurt. If I get hurt now I am in big trouble. I cant take that risk anymore and my focus is building my business rather than chasing the points series. Even though I would give anything to get on the track again. The only thing I wont give up is my business. My advice to you would be to enjoy it now because its not going to last forever. Good luck!

SproulsLawnCare
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Being the sole provider for my family (factory job, Landlord, and now LCO), I have to be careful. I used to ride street bikes and I can't stand to wear a helmet. Now with a wife and kids, and being the sole provider, I look at things differently. I would love to get another bike, but the family and work comes first. I have had my share of road rash, so I know that I am not immune to it. I have decided that it was my responsibility to put the bike, and any other injury prone things away for now.
If I should get injured by some other means, I do have others who could fill in for me.

Todd's lawncare
05-23-2005, 03:10 AM
This again ? We were just fighting over this not long ago and ill say this once again . Just because you own your own company you can't have fun ? when you get out of bed every day there is a chance that you will get hurt weather it be doing some fun like riding , mudding racing cars or driving to get dinner you could get hurt walking to pay for gas and the list goes on . You don't think them mowers could hurt you ???????? My uncle feel off one and cut 3 toes off . Just don't do thing stupid but don't give up you life and always try to have some one that could fill in for you if some thing would ever happen .

LwnmwrMan22
05-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Get yourself a real good disability insurance policy.

This isn't going to help if you get the flu, break a leg (unless REAL severe) or break a wrist, though.

But I carry a disability policy that covers my bills for 6 months. If I were to sever a leg, break my back / neck, it would give me / my wife enough time to dump the equipment and get out from under the bills.

As for a short term disablement, I play slow pitch softball, however I do not go sliding headfirst into second base trying to stretch out a double.

You have to be smart, pay attention, be lucky sometimes.

My dad's retired and my uncle is a pastor. I've talked to them and they'd cover for me if anything happened as much as they could.

LCME
05-23-2005, 10:09 AM
i call the guy who use to mowed my lawn and give him the accounts until i get better. he said if i ever needed help he would. i told him the same. lco's working together. would you believe it. :D

leadarrows
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the grown up world of responsibilities.

SproulsLawnCare
05-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I hope I didn't, and didn't intend to ruffle any feathers by my comment. This was my personal decision. The point that I was wanting to make was not to take any unnecessary chances if you are concerned that an injury would put your business at risk. There are way too many chances to get injured just in day to day activities to put yourself at unnecessary risk. Simply put, If you are worried that what you do for a pass time may cause you to get injured and hurt your business, then don't do it. If you aren't worried about it, have a back up plan in case you get hurt. In my case, I have had a few accidents on street bikes and i know there is a pretty good chance it could happen again.

LawnBoy89
05-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey do you ride at Milford riders? I used to race at that track on friday nights. I hear ya, im 24 now and when I was 16 I would ride and not worry about getting hurt. If I get hurt now I am in big trouble. I cant take that risk anymore and my focus is building my business rather than chasing the points series. Even though I would give anything to get on the track again. The only thing I wont give up is my business. My advice to you would be to enjoy it now because its not going to last forever. Good luck!

Yes, actually I do ride there, as well as race there whenever I'm not busy. Do you still have a bike and ride for fun at all?

LawnBoy89
05-23-2005, 11:30 PM
This again ? We were just fighting over this not long ago and ill say this once again . Just because you own your own company you can't have fun ? when you get out of bed every day there is a chance that you will get hurt weather it be doing some fun like riding , mudding racing cars or driving to get dinner you could get hurt walking to pay for gas and the list goes on . You don't think them mowers could hurt you ???????? My uncle feel off one and cut 3 toes off . Just don't do thing stupid but don't give up you life and always try to have some one that could fill in for you if some thing would ever happen .

I think what I need is a ZTR, because to be honest, with an injury such as a borken leg, or even an arm, you can still operate a ZTR. I've broken quite a few bones and was still pretty active, the only thing I didn't do that often when I broke bones was take showers because of the cast :D

I could run the ZTR, and then pay one of my friends to trim, edge, and cleanup.

LawnBoy89
05-23-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm not too worried about the income if I get injured, I'm more worried about my customers. I really don't need the money that bad, I'm only 16. That is why I don't compete for lawns. I know there are guys out there that are doing this to support a family so that is why I don't lowball and steal accounts. If I get injured I just don't know what would happen to all my customers but I guess this is just something I have to think about. I just started this last fall and since then I haven't broken any bones, but if the time comes I better have a plan.

Stihl036pro
05-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Yea, I still ride but not as as often as I would like. I just ride for the fun of it now. I go up to rocky hill and ride up there. Thats a fun track. I raced at Milford a long time ago about when I was 13 or 14. I was racing 80 expert class. I even took home a championship in 94. I think that was the year. I cant belive its been that long already. I was there every friday night racing with the same kids. Man that was a lot of fun! I have had some good times there. Dont give up your fun for work. Just be smart about it and think before you crack open that throttle before that long a$$ double on the back stretch on Milford riders. Be Safe, Peace!

LawnBoy89
05-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Haha, I was just at Rocky Hill this past weekend, awsome track. We should go riding sometime. I'm getting my lisense in about a month and I'll be riding all the time. Thanks for the good advice.

lawn perfection
05-25-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm a solo keep around 20 accts. Thank goodness I haven't been hurt yet, but I have a good friend that has a big lawn care service and he always takes care of my accounts when I go on vacation. If I ever get hurt I'm sure he would take care of me.

environment
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
im having enough problems figuring out what to do when i go on my honeymoon in august, and I have two full time employees