PDA

View Full Version : How much to mow THIS jungle? County Lot

Eddie B
05-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Last time I cleared this was May of last year, then I guess the county decided they didn't want to bother with it anymore. Now the local homeowners are MAD. Its too long for my WB, I'll need to bush hog the mess. The tree/bush growth is staying, the bid is strictly mow and go. This area is NOT classified as wetlands. It just rained. The entire area you see covered in water is actually grass, and the water will be gone within 2 days. This is only a 1 time job. What would YOU charge? About how long would it take? Keep in mind, its a county bid, not a homeowner bid. I have my figures in mind, but I'm curious as to what some of you think. Bush hog rental and transport fee will be added to the final figures.

Eddie B
05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
the other 3 pics.................

The parts already mowed were mowed from the homeowners.

mdb landscaping
05-22-2005, 06:43 PM
i would think about $95-110. usually if we have to mow something really tall or thats been neglected we try to get double what it would cost to mow it every week. we have a brush hog, but id just cut it with a rider. looks kinda thin, the mower should handle it. i dont know what you have for machines though.

trying 2b organic
05-22-2005, 06:43 PM
$315.00 Includes rental and pita surcharge. Take it or leave it. :angel:

A chance I would lose it to someone who owns a bush hog and seeks out these jobs.

Tonyr
05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I do a lot of this jungle clearing stuff, over here I get $220 for those jobs going by the pics...pics often don't show the real size but at a guess anyway.
I'm guessing 1 acre of land to clean up?

No need for a tractor, a 60'' ztr will eat through that easy, this work is easier than you think on a z, and isn't hard on machinery either, grass is long and stringy/stalky, not like heavy damp bermuda!

I would allow 1.5 hours max, double cut, 60'' ztr....if county wants it cheaper, get a tractor in there and make a big mess...want it done right, or want it done cheap n nasty?

No point working cheap on ferral jobs....imo.

Eddie B
05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Its a little over 3/4 acre, really thick in places. The thickest areas are covered in water now, but this area usually dries out pretty quick. Last year it took 4 passes with a 48" bobcat WB, 17 hp, and would even bog down the mower in 1st gear on the 1st pass. It wasn't as tall, either. Renting a bush hog should save me a decent bit of time, I don't run ZTR's.

Tonyr
05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
ok....

kinda all depends on how badly you want the job as to how high your bid is....3/4 acre remembering it is rough and neglected, my lowest would be $180, and that is if I really, really wanted it.....myself, I'd still go in at $220, if ya get it great, if not....tough....ya can't do this stuff cheap, no point.

Heck, if your market allows you may get a lot more!

I'm only saying about here, my main opposition is tractors....when they are busy I go in higher with one time jobs.

Tonyr
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
ok...

I'd consider just subbying it out then, get it done fast by a tractor, and if need be come in after and tidy up if required, then charge county what contractor charged you plus 30%, this works for me when I can't do the work myself.

obviously get a quote 1st, allow a bit, then add your cut, then submit this to county.

Eddie B
05-22-2005, 08:23 PM
This lot makes too much money to consider subbing out IMO

DennisF
05-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Rent a field/brush mower and take the damage waiver insurance on the rental. No less than $200 plus the cost of the rental.

No way I would use my ZTR or WB on a job like that.

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 08:15 AM
$110, $315, $220, and $200. Anyone else?

Pecker
05-23-2005, 09:57 AM
No way I would use my ZTR or WB on a job like that.

Same here.

Frontier-Lawn
05-23-2005, 10:04 AM
$300 + $250= $550
Labor/ Rental/total

Cleanmaxx Brian
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Frontier-Lawn,
Totally off topic but check out my Nissan Frontier forum! Lots of good friendly people...

http://p085.ezboard.com/btunfs

Gravely_Man
05-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Ed, not a pricing response but a suggestion response. You might want to check into getting an older Gravely walkbehind for situations just like this. I have several older machines (this translates to pre 75) for work just like this. A bushhog is quicker but I don't have to rent one by having an old Gravely.

Gravely_Man

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Ed, not a pricing response but a suggestion response. You might want to check into getting an older Gravely walkbehind for situations just like this. I have several older machines (this translates to pre 75) for work just like this. A bushhog is quicker but I don't have to rent one by having an old Gravely.

Gravely_Man

My grandfather had one, I just sold the stupid thing. Never really got any use out of it. Wish I kept it.

Gravely_Man
05-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Ed, Sorry to hear that you sold it. Obviously you know exactly what i am talking about. Again a bush hog is quicker but I already own the Gravely and it custs down material up to 1.5"-2".

Gravely_Man

TClawn
05-23-2005, 04:08 PM
$340 + rental. don't bid those jobs low, whenever you do, something goes wrong that takes you double the time you thought. personally, I think my Z could handle that. it looks pretty thin by the pics, but the chance of damage to the equipment is not worth it.

C&KLawnCare
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
125.00 and id be willing to say my older rider could handle it in no time .

greenwithenvylandscape
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
$300 + $250= $550
Labor/ Rental/total
I'm with you.

jbell113
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
rent a bush hog and charge $400. $200 for rental and you make $200

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
its pretty thick in places

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
This area is up well over my chest, and I'm 6'2. You can see the top of a truck behind it.

TClawn
05-23-2005, 06:04 PM
ok then, why not just use the wacker on those parts, use the mower in the thinner areas, and keep the extra $200. of course, if this prop has a lot of "unkown objects" floating around in it like most overgrown property's do, it's not worth your equipment, I would revise my price to $350 labor + $200 rental = $550.

Frontier-Lawn
05-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Frontier-Lawn,
Totally off topic but check out my Nissan Frontier forum! Lots of good friendly people...

http://p085.ezboard.com/btunfs

all ready a member of it. screen name is nextfrontier
same with nissanminis.com --- screen name is nextfrontier also

dvmcmrhp52
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
This is beyond amusing...............

$550 for a 3/4 acre lot?

Uhuh.

Tonyr
05-23-2005, 07:21 PM
trust me, a ztr will still do it, the super long stuff will lay down requiring 2 or 3 passes using half deck width, this isn't a big job, did one similar yesterday!
but ya need 28hp, no probs, and it isn't knocking the machine around if ya go slow. btw, use old blades, sharp though....

If you think there is debris in there though....pass on it.

If I expect that, I refuse, our brown snakes will bite and ya dead before ya get back to the trailer lol. so no walking through jungles for me!

but your question what machine, it is how much....kinda comes back to what machine...

Still, I would subby it to a tractor guy add 30%, then you didn't even get dirty and made $$$, just my opinion.

the answer is...get all the numbers here, add em up, and do some math, find the average number...there ya go!

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-23-2005, 07:34 PM
This lot makes too much money to consider subbing out IMO

Sub it out. If it's a one time job, what's the difference? You make money, your equipment doesn't get beat up, gives you more time to do those equipment appropriate jobs. $60.00 just to look at it, call a subcontractor and cash the check. payup

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Sub it out. If it's a one time job, what's the difference? You make money, your equipment doesn't get beat up, gives you more time to do those equipment appropriate jobs. $60.00 just to look at it, call a subcontractor and cash the check. payup

I can do the job, and if I can pull in $265 working just over an hour, then why not? As far a debris, there's a few beer bottles and such, but no biggie. 1 hour and 20 minutes, 1 man, 265 beans. And a beating on my mower. so what. Thats what it's made for. I got the job BTW. I'll tell you guys how long it actually takes when I do it, and post some after pics. That way we can see how accurate my timing was, and how crappy the job looks when I finish. lol

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
I can do the job, and if I can pull in $265 working just over an hour, then why not? As far a debris, there's a few beer bottles and such, but no biggie. 1 hour and 20 minutes, 1 man, 265 beans. And a beating on my mower. so what. Thats what it's made for. I got the job BTW. I'll tell you guys how long it actually takes when I do it, and post some after pics. That way we can see how accurate my timing was, and how crappy the job looks when I finish. lol

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll do a good job. Good price too.

pjslawncare/landscap
05-23-2005, 10:29 PM
I do have a bush hog and I would bush hog it , pick up the piles and then mow with a mower for $150 to $200. Doesnt look like too big a deal to me, 2 hours tops.

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
no picking up piles here... its a quick mow & go