PDA

View Full Version : I Love My New Toy

DynaMow
05-22-2005, 06:11 PM
I just bought a phenumatic grease gun. Continous feed, what a nice job it does, and boy what a time saver. Bought a Craftsman for $42.00 and guaranteed for life. I love new stuff that works and makes my life easier. Just thought I would tell all how nice this tool is.

nobagger
05-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I just bought a phenumatic grease gun. Continous feed, what a nice job it does, and boy what a time saver. Bought a Craftsman for $42.00 and guaranteed for life. I love new stuff that works and makes my life easier. Just thought I would tell all how nice this tool is.
Its great that you love this new grease gun, but we're talking about a couple of pumps per fitting and there are usually only 5 to 8 grease fittings on commercial mowers (if your talking about greasing the mowers) I just don't see where you are saving time. I personally don't use them because I don't like them I think they over fill joints. You can put too much grease in any joint causing the seals to leak. :waving:

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 06:59 PM
How do you load the grease into the gun, or does it use the standard paper cartridges? I would like to have one with a very long flexible hose on it.

DynaMow
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
my one mower w/sulky has 15 fittings, other mower 8, spreader 5, any need to continue, wish i only had 8.

loads with cartridge or bulk loading.

Does not add anymore grease then by hand pump, when you see it coming out you stop, doesnt matter if by air or hand. Do not see any difference there. By the way how is it possible to overload? when you have the proper amount of grease in it seeps out, could put whole tube in any cavity and when full it will just seep so i do not agree with the concern of overfill.

DynaMow
05-22-2005, 09:08 PM
that doesnt count the fittings on two trucks. two pumps per fitting? spindles take at least 6-7 pumps

dfrea
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM
I've heard many a time that excessive grease (putting it in until it seeps out) has a habit of damaging the seals...although if that's already happened, more grease certainly isn't gonna hurt - lube away!

ed2hess
05-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I think I don't get enough grease in the wheel bearings and the pivot shafts with the small amount that comes out in the hand pump. I use air to clean the units when I am putting on new blades and filters, think I'll go get a gun from Sears...Thanks for input!!

Itsgottobegreen
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I got a manual pump, air powered gun and now a battery powered gun. The Lincoln battery grease gun is the best thing since sliced bread.

meets1
05-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Depends who uses the gun - but with manual your able to abjust the amount. I have seen it done a hundred times with battery pack gun - guys keep going blow out a seal, or the trigger is stuck and grease all over and still blown a seal. I am sticking with the manual gun. And yes, I have two but ours cost a whole more than $42.50.

lawnkid
05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
My Walker has 46 greasepoints. I am thinking of somehow mounting a gresgun to the mower. I go through a tube a week.

Shady Brook
05-22-2005, 11:37 PM
I think the pneumatic grease gun is a wonderful thing as well. When you have multiple riders and various walkbehinds plus a couple trucks these things pay off big time. Some of those large castors take a bunch of pumps, so it does save time as well as effort. How about those times when you can barely reach under the mower to get to a xerk. You can get on the fitting, but can not hardly move enough to give a manual pump. With the air gun all it takes is a squeeze of the trigger. They are awsome in my opinion, and congrats on the new purchase.