PDA

View Full Version : Small lawn tractor - Grinding when blades engaged

FredMaxwell
05-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a 12hp Craftsman 917.255561 with the briggs motor and when I engage the blade it makes a grinding noise if I raise the decks anything higher than the lowest cut setting..

Does anyone know what might cause this?
It cuts just fine without any extra noise when the decks are as low as they go..

DennisF
05-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Check the spindle(s) for wobble. The bearings/bushings may be worn out.

DLS1
05-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Clear any grass from around the blade belts and anywhere else you see build up of grass,leaves. Hopefully this is all it is and not bad spindles.

Restrorob
05-22-2005, 11:05 PM
I have a 12hp Craftsman 917.255561 with the briggs motor and when I engage the blade it makes a grinding noise if I raise the decks anything higher than the lowest cut setting..

Does anyone know what might cause this?
It cuts just fine without any extra noise when the decks are as low as they go..

I have studied your deck on my web,The only thing I can come up with is one of the idler pulleys are loose or warn bearings.When the deck is lowered the belt is angled up to the engine thus possibly lifting the pulley off the idler bracket,when raised letting the pulley settle back down on the bracket.
Its worth a look anyway.

Redneckn
05-23-2005, 12:52 PM
It can be the bearings in the blade spindle. it can be the blade brake (arms) broke and rubbing. it can be the pulley spun on the shaft.
knowing these mower like i know these mowers, i would bet that it is the bearings.