PDA

View Full Version : Remember to clean grass buildup from your mower.

DLS1
05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
My ztr today started dying on me when doing my own lawn. I would let it sit for 5 minutes and it would then start up okay. It then died again after about 10 minutes. It did did this a few times. I checked a few things like air filter,etc but still had the problem. I then cleared out the deck of all the grass and lots of thick packed in grass under the seat area near motor, hydros and back wheels. The ztr is working okay now so I assume the buildup of grass caused something to overheat and shut the ztr down until it cooled down.

You just never know what a buildup of thick old grass will do to your mower.

Guthrie&Co
05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
not to mention loss of fuel eco, rust and fire potential. plus it just looks like crap

kc2006
05-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Last year we had a exmark TTHP overheat on us. Turned out it was because grass packed in around the spark plug and into the cooling fins of the engine. I tend to blow the mowers off probably every day or every other day just to keep the build up of grass off them.

Lbilawncare
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I put Magic Mulchers on my Dixie Chopper, helps keep the deck clean as well as better discharge. Also better than sharpening 2 sets of blades every day.

mastercare
05-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I had this happen once on an OLD gravely rider. IF you have a liquid cooled, make sure you're not leaking. First year in business, the mower bounced around the trailer, and the oil cooler sliced open the radiator. It kept overheating (surprise)....and eventually stopped running.
The only good news was that the engine didn't have any siezing or major damage. Only a camshaft gear and water cooler gear overheated and cracked. Luckily, Kawasaki makes their gears (or used to) out of plastic. This caused the plastic gears to break, rather than fry the whole engine. But, lesson learned....and I got to learn how to do a complete tear down and re-build of an engine.

Something to look at.....learn from others' mistakes.