PDA

View Full Version : walker side discharge deck

clay duncan
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
i am considering buying a side discharge deck for my 20 hp walker. does anyone use the 48in. sd deck. i have noticed alot of people use the 52in.. the 48 is consideribly less. the 52 is belt driven from what i understand.

Jason Rose
05-23-2005, 12:20 AM
You may want to consider the 52". From what I hear the extra weight of the 52" SD deck turns the walker into a billy goat on hills. I think the 52" deck is deeper too, and it has 3 blades instead of 2.

BCSteel
05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Plus there is a mulch kit for the 52" if you should need it, but I dont know how well it works since I havnt seen one before. You could probably use the double blade set up for the mulchkit w/o the kit to get better discharge though. Then again, you could put the doubles on the 48" from the 42" mulcher to get better dispersal as well. Just throwing some ideas out there for ya.

MJB
05-23-2005, 01:04 AM
I have the 48 but I would go with the 52" instead. The extra options are worth it.

MOW ED
05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
The 52SD is the one to get. Double blade configuration is killer. Deep heavy deck. The mulch kit is essential for my fall leaf clean. I can make a 4 foot pile of leaves disappear. Get the tilt up option for quick blade changes. If you have any questions, PM me. I have used a 52 for years.

BCSteel
05-23-2005, 02:41 PM
How well does the mulch kit work in thick and/or wet grass? I just got my 42" mulcher working awesome but wonder how the bigger deck performs under less than ideal conditions.

walker-talker
05-23-2005, 05:18 PM
If you absolutely need to mulch, then look elsewhere. The deck is an awesome deck when discharging. It's all I use for my regular mowing season. I tried the mulch deck last spring and it came off as fast as it went on. It would be ok once summer hit and growth slowed way down, but in the spring it was just too much double cutting and having to sharpen the blades every 5-6 hours sucked. It has 3 spindles and has an optional double-blade kit (which I would highly recommend).

MOW ED
05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Ditto that/ Mulching wet grass ain't for that deck. I mow cool season grass and I would never make any money if I had to mulch. Side discharge is what that deck does best. The doubles come with the mulch kit but like I said I only use the mulch kit for leaves.

clay duncan
05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
i am only a interested in sd option only. i will not mulch with it nor will i use it for leaves. we use a walkbehind with gator blades for leaves and pick them up with the walker ghs deck. i also use a walkbehind on hills. other than 4 inches, what are the differences between the 48 and the 52?. is the cut okay?. for the price of these decks i am also considering just buying another walkbehind and having a backup mower just in case. thanks for the replys!