PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind edger choices?

Jason Rose
05-22-2005, 11:12 PM
I normally just use the trimmer to edge, works fine for me... I own an Echo stick edger, but it's the gutless small one and for breaking new edges or bermuda it's worthless and hangs in my garage collecting spider webs.
I have several properties that have a lot of sidewalks to edge and with the ant hills along the edges and the bermuda popping up here and there using the trimmer gets a bit tough, it can be done, but with the damn ant hills it's hard to keep the line straight.

I suppose I should just kill the ants... But a new batch will be around in a month I'm sure.

Soooo, I'm looking to buy a walk behind edger, just for the properties with lots of sidewalks, to save me some time and make it look perfect.

My heart is set on a McLain edger, but our whussy Home Cheapo here dosn't sell them anymore. They have an MTD I believe, but not half the machine the McLain looked to be. Sears sells a few different models. Would their best model be worth anything? Haven't looked at them really yet. Or, should I just drive the hour to Wichita to the Home depot there and get the McLain?

I honestly have never even ran a walk behind edger in my life. been mowing since second grade, started business at 16, currently 26 and have never ran one. I know that the stick edger just dosn't have the guts to break new edges, or go thru sod that's a few inches higher than the concrete so that's why I want the walk behind. Am I going to be dissapointed with the preformance? Or is it going to cut thru the stuff like butter?

Also... What type of blade works best? Stock straight? Star shaped? + shaped? I see them all in catalogs, I'm sure there is a reason...

Thirdpete
05-22-2005, 11:25 PM
i'm using a craftsman, 4.0HP model that i really like. the drawback is that there is a nice amount of moving parts. but its very powerful, ive seen mowers with smaller engines than this edger. an overall nice piece.

Shady Brook
05-22-2005, 11:31 PM
I have used a Tanaka, and it was a monster! It would drive through dreadful sod that sat up 4" above the sidewalk without effort. They are high doller, but a good machine!

clncut
05-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I to use a craftsman wb edger. 3.5 horse I believe. Cuts great and does not lack power for cutting new edges.

John

Jason Rose
05-22-2005, 11:41 PM
I have used a Tanaka, and it was a monster! It would drive through dreadful sod that sat up 4" above the sidewalk without effort. They are high doller, but a good machine!

Nice thought, but the Tanaka edger hasn't been made in years now... I had the opportunity to buy a slightly used one a few years ago for $350, but I turned it down because I had little if any use for it and I thought that was way high$$$. Turns out they retailed for around $700 when new I believe...

gogetter
05-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Nice thought, but the Tanaka edger hasn't been made in years now...

But it looks like they're coming back (check out the Tanaka forum here on LS).

But as was said, they were (and probably will be again if/when they are offered again) very pricey.

I've always read good things about the Mclanes, especially the commercial model.
You can check on ebay, I've seen some ok deals on them there.

One thing I like about them is they appear to have an offset blade from the machine. My cheapy wb edger (Trim Rite or something like that) has the blade right inline with the wheels, which I don't like when I'm cutting back really overgrown edges. The wheels ride up over the overgrowth and make the whole machine unlevel and it makes it hard to keep a straight edge that way.

The Mclane (and the Tanaka's) have the blade offset a bit so that the wheels of the machine can stay on the flat sidewalk while the blade cuts along nice and straight.

Little Wonder wb edgers are offset a bit too, but they are pricey also.

Itsgottobegreen
05-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Little wonder is the best. I kick myself for not buying one for a $100. I had a customer who decided to sell a brand new one. Well I didn't have the cash on me. So I told him I would come back. Well 3 days later when I came back. His neighbor has a really nice littlewonder edge. He thought I didn't want it. ARGH :angry:

surfisher211
05-23-2005, 06:27 AM
yea little wonder all the way cant beat them . wish i still had mine but it fell off the trailer last year and was destroyed :cry:

grass_cuttin_fool
05-23-2005, 06:55 AM
I have a craftsman, its 10 years old and it has a 3.5hp enginge on it and it purrs like a kitten on new edges.Im using a straight blade right now but I have a 4 cornered balde to put on and try, I cant rreally say which is better, just in previous post alot seem to like the 4 corner blade

TPnTX
05-23-2005, 10:18 AM
I thinking about buying a stick edger.

I have a WB that I've owned for years and it's always worked great until recently. Now I get no spark from the briggs motor.

So I should probably get that thing fixed instead of spend the cash of stick edger?

I got a lot of edging to do and I'm tired tired of using the line trimmer.

Tider6972
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Talk to the <i>manager</i> of your local HD. Just because they don't stock it doesn't mean they can't order it, they can! Home Depot sells McLane edgers, if your local store manager won't order it for you, go to www.homedepot.com , search McLane, or edgers. and order it online.

LCME
05-23-2005, 01:06 PM
purchased a new w/b edger from the dealer a couple weeks ago. mclane 3.5hp. runs great. has the larger tank. edges like it's suppose to. runs smooth and quiet. good enough for me.

Jason Rose
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, quick update... I went to Home Depot and asked if they could order the Mclain edger, it came up as unavailable completely. Couldn't even get a price... So, since Sears is basically in the same parking lot I ran there and looked theirs. The 4 hp. Model (the red one) Is a really solidly built and well designed machine. Has a horizontal shaft engine, wheras most cheap edgers have a verticle and has many adjustments for angle (but I will use 0* only...) Still 300 bucks for the thing but I went ahead and bought it tonight. All I had to do was get it out of the box and slap the handle on it and add oil and gas. I put the choke on and throttle to fast and one pull it fired right up! It was 10:00 at night though, so no trials of it yet. Like I said, I only got it for long sidewalks and new edges. It has the "curb wheels" but I'm not about to spend time adjusting and messing with the thing just to do curbs. Plus, I rarely see a curb that is the same everywhere to make it work right.

I'll have to see how long the blade lasts, it's a 3 edge blade and looks kinda on the thin side to me. I forgot to get a couple spares, But I can find those anywhere that sells aftermarket mower blades.

Tider6972
05-24-2005, 03:37 AM
LOL ! Happy for you, Jason, hope you are happy with it!

I think I'll give up on trying to help find * McLane * edgers for people, I've struck out twice now, lol ! The HD web site says the McLane is $268; it could be your Sears is made by McLane so you may have one after all.:)

grass_cuttin_fool
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Well, quick update... I went to Home Depot and asked if they could order the Mclain edger, it came up as unavailable completely. Couldn't even get a price... So, since Sears is basically in the same parking lot I ran there and looked theirs. The 4 hp. Model (the red one) Is a really solidly built and well designed machine. Has a horizontal shaft engine, wheras most cheap edgers have a verticle and has many adjustments for angle (but I will use 0* only...) Still 300 bucks for the thing but I went ahead and bought it tonight. All I had to do was get it out of the box and slap the handle on it and add oil and gas. I put the choke on and throttle to fast and one pull it fired right up! It was 10:00 at night though, so no trials of it yet. Like I said, I only got it for long sidewalks and new edges. It has the "curb wheels" but I'm not about to spend time adjusting and messing with the thing just to do curbs. Plus, I rarely see a curb that is the same everywhere to make it work right.

I'll have to see how long the blade lasts, it's a 3 edge blade and looks kinda on the thin side to me. I forgot to get a couple spares, But I can find those anywhere that sells aftermarket mower blades.
That sounds just like the edger I purchased 10 years ago, that 3 edge blade will last a while and far as the 0 degree cuts, I have found that every once in a while I put mine on 15 degree's just to move the top of the edge back some.Congraddys on the new edger I think it will serve you well I have been pleased with mine