PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer suggestions (DFW,TX worker ready)

SJacobs
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
OK. I just started up my own lawn business thing. So far it's going OK, but I've decided I need a stronger, more reliable trimmer. My current one is a homelite easy touch. It cuts great and I've had it for years, but its a gas trimmer that starts up with a rechargable battery. Unfortunately the battery is going bad. So I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought an Echo GT-200R. I used it today and I really don't care for the comfort of it. It seems too small and I really hate the huge shield. Also it doesn't seem any more powerful than my Homelite. So I'm going to take it back. I was wondering what I should exchange it for? Are the Toros and Ryobi any good? I want something really powerful for under $200 that will not let me down. Also I'm thinking about getting a bump spindle spool weedeater, I haven't used one in years. Do they work better these days? And are the straight shaft trimmers any better? They seem really long considering I'm only 5'6". Thanks! Also if anyone in the DFW area needs a good employee with a lot of experience, let me know. I speak good English and have plenty experience in the hot texas sun.

Appalachian landscape
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
If you're going to buy it at home depot get the echo srm 230 it's only about $30 more than you want to spend and plenty powerful.

SJacobs
05-23-2005, 12:51 AM
but i dont wanan spend over 200 and it doesn't necessarily have to be home depot. i just feel i can get more for under 200 than what i got.

SWD
05-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Just bear in mind that with commercially used equipment, you get what you paid for.
I, personally, can't image a decent hand held gas trimmer for $200.00 but whatever works I guess.
My cheap Shindawas were almost $300.00 a piece and I only got two years out of them.
I would recommend Stihl. I have seven right now with an eighth soon to be added. The crew likes the power, weight and I like the longevity and production.
By the time taxes and extra line is thrown in, expect to pay around $350 or so for the smaller 85 series.

Eddie B
05-23-2005, 07:09 AM
can't you get an srm 210 for $200? Seems to me mine was 199 if I remember correctly.

Texas Mowem
05-23-2005, 07:48 AM
OK. I just started up my own lawn business thing.

Your profile says ya been in bus 11 years. We should be asking you what trimmer to buy.

Pecker
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
I'd recommend using the Homelite until you can save up and buy a real trimmer. Once you get used to the productivity and ease of use of a genuine commercial trimmer, you'll wish you'd done it a long time ago.

Appalachian landscape
05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
but i dont wanan spend over 200 and it doesn't necessarily have to be home depot. i just feel i can get more for under 200 than what i got.

$200 or $230 what's the difference? What the hell do I know, just go buy a curved shaft craftsman for $90 and have fun. Buy 2 of them and have a back up.

Tider6972
05-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Exchange that Echo curved shaft for the straight shaft srm200(or srm210, whatever it is) and you'll notice a big difference. The srm200 is $199 at HD, if I'm not mistaken.

KrisD
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I could use an experienced employee. We work in N.E. Tarrant County. Email me if you are interested. kkdossey@yahoo.com

Lawnaholic
06-01-2005, 01:49 AM
OK. I just started up my own lawn business thing. So far it's going OK, but I've decided I need a stronger, more reliable trimmer. My current one is a homelite easy touch. It cuts great and I've had it for years, but its a gas trimmer that starts up with a rechargable battery. Unfortunately the battery is going bad. So I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought an Echo GT-200R. I used it today and I really don't care for the comfort of it. It seems too small and I really hate the huge shield. Also it doesn't seem any more powerful than my Homelite. So I'm going to take it back. I was wondering what I should exchange it for? Are the Toros and Ryobi any good? I want something really powerful for under $200 that will not let me down. Also I'm thinking about getting a bump spindle spool weedeater, I haven't used one in years. Do they work better these days? And are the straight shaft trimmers any better? They seem really long considering I'm only 5'6". Thanks! Also if anyone in the DFW area needs a good employee with a lot of experience, let me know. I speak good English and have plenty experience in the hot texas sun.
SJacobs, you definitely wanna get rid of the curved shaft and get you a straight shaft. It makes a world of difference. Makes the job much easier, atleast for me that is. Yes, you can get an Echo SRM 210 for right at $200 and taxes from Home Depot. I also live in G.P. Email me with your tel. # and we can discuss employment: footballaholic@msn.com

Lawnaholic
06-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Oh yeah, SJacobs, I have a brand new extra(back up line trimmer, Echo SRM 210) that we might be able to work something out on. Email me your tel. # so we can discuss this: footballaholic@msn.com