PDA

View Full Version : License to spray vinegar?

LawnBrother
05-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi guys. First off, let me say that I totally respect all of you organic guys because the amount of pollution from lawn chemical applications makes me sick. I don't use any kind of chemicals and I am not licensed to, either. I am also tired of weed whacking sidewalks and driveways, so, I am looking into concentrated vinegar for weed control. My question is, do you have to be licensed to spray it? I'm in Ohio. And I don't know if it is listed as a pesticide or not. Can anyone tell me what's up with it or point me in the right direction to find the information? Thanks!

Green Pastures
05-23-2005, 01:43 AM
nevermind wrong thread

Grass Masters
05-23-2005, 02:22 AM
LawnBrother

Basically you have to have a license to spray anything for profit..........

That said you can also spray a product if it is labeled for that use

IT dont matter what a home owner does to there own property with or without a Lic. (which is a ridiclous law) (they should not even be able to buy the product)

But when you go to spray for a customer you MUST have the paper saying you can apply chemicals.

FOR instance take round up for instance

A Home owner can buy it and spray it or you can buy it and spray it right WRONG
1st you have to have a Licsense
2nd it must be labeld for Commerical use
The chemical you buy at the big box store isnt labeld for commerical use unless you spend the extra money and buy ROUND UP PRO

Same product pretty much but it is all in the label

SAY Its no big deal but if you get checked by the man and he asks to see your label and he sees your not using the right one then he will most likely write it up and make him look like he is doing a good job

BRANDMEL
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
If your that worried about using vinager don't use it, dump boiling hot water on the undesired that will kill'm fast. If they come back dump more boiling hot water etc etc.

MarcSmith
05-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Lets fire up the stove and boil some water.....J/K

Anything you spray for profit you do need to be Lic, and in some cases insured....and dont get caught spraying chemicals which aren't labled for the intented target...My neighbor uses the salt/vinegar routine....I use prosecutor I imagine a bunch of salt and vinegar is just as bad for the soil as roundup, and since I'm applying to the foilage of the plant not the soil the amount of chemicals in the soil is minimal...IMO

YardPro
05-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi guys. First off, let me say that I totally respect all of you organic guys because the amount of pollution from lawn chemical applications makes me sick. I don't use any kind of chemicals and I am not licensed to, either. I am also tired of weed whacking sidewalks and driveways, so, I am looking into concentrated vinegar for weed control. My question is, do you have to be licensed to spray it? I'm in Ohio. And I don't know if it is listed as a pesticide or not. Can anyone tell me what's up with it or point me in the right direction to find the information? Thanks!

vinegar IS a chemical.
it is acetic acid. it is more dangerous than some of these "chemicals" you say are poisoning the earth...SO USE IT CAREFULLY....

nocutting
05-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi, if your state requires a lic. to apply pesticdes, when chargeing a fee?...You can always apply a "Supplemental Neutrient", "Soil Amendment", "PH Ajuster", and if the treatment also seems to rid the area of weed growth? I guess thats an added "Bonus"............... :cool2:

naturesdesign
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
If you lived in Ontario Canada and in the weed/pest control business yes you do need a licence to spray vinegar. You cannot use a homemade remedy either it has to be approved.

arborist-28
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
technically it is against the law.. Don't get caught ...c

Giant Menehune
08-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know...I'm trippin' about the license thing.....I was gonna say just bust out the old weedburner and have at it...but if this for profit, I'd bet you need a license to use a weedburner too eh? Woah........soooo strict!

MarcSmith
08-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Just about anything you do "for Profit" you should be liscenced....Being in Hawaii I would think you'd want state regulation to assit in protecting the fragile Island eco system and surrounding waters....such that stupid people don't start accidentally killing off things....

The weed burners, youa re not applying any chemicals to the plant, only heat...

I am not a tree hugger by any means and I us emy fair share of chemicals but when I see guys dumping two and three 50lb bags of fert ont he 10,000 sqft prop it reeks of ignorance and a waste of money....

LawnBrother
08-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this subject. Since I started this thread I have done a lot of research on becoming a licensed applicator. I have read a few articles regarding the amount of pesticides dumped on the ground in this country and it really bothers me. I am not an environmentalist per se, but I think we all have a responsibility to take care of our planet. That is why I started this thread, because I was looking for a "safe" or "safer" chemical to spray on weeds. I think the best way to learn is to study and become a licensed applicator. Thanks again, and if anyone has any other thoughts on safer pesticides, or the environmental impact of certain pesticides I would love to hear them.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-18-2005, 03:13 AM
I us emy fair share of chemicals but when I see guys dumping two and three 50lb bags of fert ont he 10,000 sqft prop it reeks of ignorance and a waste of money....

150 lbs of fert? Did the lawn survive?

nocutting
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM
I don't know...I'm trippin' about the license thing.....I was gonna say just bust out the old weedburner and have at it...but if this for profit, I'd bet you need a license to use a weedburner too eh? Woah........soooo strict!
Hi, the weed burner is different, it a mechanical form of weed extraction, no lic. needed for that. :waving: :cool2: payup :alien:

Killswitch
08-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Licensed to spray vinegar?

lol

Where....what.....huh?

Ive got four state licenses, and they are all commercial Pesticide applicator licenses.

If its not classified as a pesticide then what State agency are you supposed to pay off now?

Comon guys.......I figured you natural applicators would at least be anti licensing and regulation of holistic and natural mcontrols rather than suggesting you need a license to pee on a weed or whatever.

Seriously.

ArizPestWeed
08-28-2005, 01:42 AM
In Az , if it kills , it's a 'cide

Killswitch
08-28-2005, 01:48 AM
I'd fight all the way to Jesus if some politician told me I needed to pay him to spray a weed with vinegar.

This is getting re god damned diculous.

fixer67
09-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Just how good does this vinegar as a weed killer work? How strong is the solution are you using? My local Bi-LO sell the 5% solution, is that strong enough? I have a small area I want killed off but I do not want to use Round-Up in this are because of the cats like to play in this area.

Norm_2
09-10-2005, 06:26 PM
if you can buy it in any super market whats the big deal. everybody here sprays with out a license.

naturesdesign
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
check with your state ministry of enviroment and the will be able to help you with this request. In Ontario Canada you need a licence to use vinger on someone elses lawn.

green_mark
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Just so you all are aware of the facts behind using vinegar as a weed control.

You cannot spray it at all. It is against the EPA law unless someone you have purchased it from has an EPA registration number for it and that specific application.

Once the EPA gets into your wallet for this they will take up to 4% of your gross revenue for all the years they catch you doing this. This fine in not based on the one service you preformed but all the income of your company.

How do I know this? The hard way!

I have paid the price for breaking the ground for organics to be used under the exemption clause of the FIFRA act.

You can see the products that are approved to be purchased "as labeled" at www.farmcropextracts.com (you must use Microsoft's Internet explorer for proper viewing at this time)

As far as a pesticide license fee. Each state has their own rules about the FIFRA Act sec (25b). You must email them and get them to email you back with their rules on exempted products. Never take their verbal word on it as they are not providing you a legal response or defense if someone else then issues you a fine.

Additionally, do not make home brews as they are not labeled or approved as exempted by the EPA and even if they conform you are at serious risk of losing way too much.