PDA

View Full Version : gas blowers: CFM/MPH how much?

slicey
05-23-2005, 02:40 AM
hello everyone, this is my 1st post. i'm just doing a small, one home per week business. in payson,az there's not much grass but lots of residential properties with native granite for their "yards". so i deal w/ lots of weed hoeing and leaf raking. i want a gas blower real bad. i just don't know what kind of CFM/MPH blowing power i need to handle leaves and small twigs, etc. about the only thing i do know, is to get a commercial quality unit. please advise, someone, please.

MOW ED
05-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I am gonna say to start big. Get a commercial backpack blower. The baddest out now is the Redmax 8000 its heavy and if you are small it will blow you away. That is my next one. I currently have a Shindiawa EB630 which is very powerful also and weighs a little less than the Redmax. You are out to do a job and you might as well have the gear to do ANY job you come up against. Having 10 lawns or having 100 makes no difference, get the best stuff. Good Luck. BTW lots of reviews here on blowers in search but thats up to you.

Lawn Sharks
05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Look for an Echo PB-603. It will do everything you need, is commercial quality and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

GreenUtah
05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
A handheld unit will do you fine on your small scale in the desert landscapes. Go heft a few around at your local equipment supply store and see what feels right in your hands. I can't think of a single reason to use a backpack blower on ultra dry materials in a one yard setting.

Lawn Sharks
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
GreenUtah makes a good point. I missed the part about it being only one contract. A good Echo handheld should do the trick. I suggest Echo as I use it for everything and have nothing but good luck with these machines.

slicey
05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
thanks for the advice guys. you see, at first a nice commercial quality gas handheld seemed a no brainer. then i looked at the CFM/MPH specs and they sucked....err blew. electrics could outdo these(some could) then i read someone mention the vibration/weight issue. could you suggest a make/model that you think is able to do what i need it for? i'm talking handheld unit and i could go $300-$350 tops. thanks for anymore help you may offer. what you said so far is putting me closer to leaving that dang power cord at home!

Lawn Sharks
05-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Well, I will go back to the PB-603 then. Plenty of power to move lots of leaves but cheaper than the top of the line models that only offer slight increases in blow power. Before I moved to South Carolina this baby used to blow wet frozen leaves in Vermont with no problem. A backpack does make it easier on the arms if you have a lot of leaves to blow and you will never regret having one in the garage for cleaning gutters and stuff around your own house. I love mine and you can find them on Ebay for around $150-$200.

slicey
05-23-2005, 02:29 PM
KETH, i love those dollar figures but i'm clueless about the EBAY thing. what, if anything should i be concerned about when using EBAY as my source for getting me a blower.
EDIT: at that price range, i assume we're talking used blowers? if so, then i run the chance of buying some landscaper's unit who ran it hard every season since the manufacturer 1st released it for sale. please enlighten me.

Lawn Sharks
05-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Make sure you are buying from someone with a lot of positve feedback and keep an eye on what they charge for shipping. And set up an Ebay and Paypal account before you get started.

I have done quite a few transactions on Ebay and only one turned out to be less than perfect.

GreenUtah
05-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Slicey,
A unit like the echo pb-200 handheld runs in the 150 bucks and down range, new. The model that they replaced has been the choice for granular fert applicators everywhere for years and years. Why? suitable CFM (at the end of the nozzle, the real number you are looking for) (think what 30 mph wind does..it's CFM, not speed) for quick cleanups, fast as fast at getting it started and working immediately and cost. They have a decent commerical warranty, are available in thousands of places and will do the job you're after. does it have to be echo? no, that model is an example...like I said, go heft a few around and see what feels right in your hands..I'm not convinced that a backpack isn't total overkill and an overexpense for you.

drmiller100
05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
i got an echo 650 off of ebay. waaaaay cool.

i just bought a redmax 7000 off of ebay for 225 bucks delilvered.

buy from someone with a good rating. watch shipping charges. shipping should be 25 or 30 bucks to your doorstep.

i think blowers get pretty beat up if they are used a bunch. try to get a pic of the end of it. the more used a blower is, the more ground down the tip is. A good blower can push a brick around a parking lot. a good blower can knock the hat off someone at 30 paces.
handhelds are cute, but if you are going to use it move materials, bigger is better.

slicey
05-24-2005, 02:21 AM
how about kawasaki's krb300a? it's a new item on ebay store called arlington power equipment that has that "buy it now" phrase. it seems powerful enough for my needs. :rolleyes:

slicey
05-24-2005, 03:48 PM
just wanted to thank everyone for their input. i found a stihl BG85 blower for $220 including shipping. i hope i did good. thanks again, slicey

Lawn Sharks
05-24-2005, 04:56 PM
That is a great blower. Enjoy it!