PDA

View Full Version : flowers and mulch

Sharper Edge
05-23-2005, 09:00 AM
installing 50 yrds. mulch and 60 flats of flowers which one should we do first? flowers or the mulch? any suggestions.

Grass Masters
05-23-2005, 09:17 AM
If possibel Mulch First and then plant flowers

Flowers in flats can be planted just n the mulch and still grow good

sheshovel
05-24-2005, 02:07 AM
I say exact opposite, plant first

GarPA
05-24-2005, 05:21 AM
you will not likely not get a concensus here on your question. Some will say mulch first others will say flwrs first.

All I know is that we do hundreds of yards of mulch and large flower displays for commercial properties. We find it faster to mulch first, then pull back the mulch with an adjustable rake, and install the flowers then rake mulch level. Trying to install that much mulch around little annual flowers, kills our job times for a given mulch install. I've timed it both ways and mulching first is most productive...at least for us.

rodfather
05-24-2005, 05:50 AM
you will not likely not get a concensus here on your question. Some will say mulch first others will say flwrs first.

All I know is that we do hundreds of yards of mulch and large flower displays for commercial properties. We find it faster to mulch first, then pull back the mulch with an adjustable rake, and install the flowers then rake mulch level. Trying to install that much mulch around little annual flowers, kills our job times for a given mulch install. I've timed it both ways and mulching first is most productive...at least for us.

Holy Christmas...a voice from the past! I thought you died and/or fell off the planet there Gary LOL. :D

GarPA
05-24-2005, 06:40 AM
No I'm still alive and kicking...I have just been sooooo.... busy doing what you do Rod ....counting my piles of $$$$$$$! :blush:

Remsen1
05-24-2005, 12:04 PM

I AGREE WITH THAT!

surfisher211
05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
yea mulch it first like stated b4 its always essayer to fall back and do the planting good luck!

Wolfie's L&L
05-24-2005, 05:38 PM
I usually suggest plant then mulch, especially with larger shrubs and trees. With annuals, you may get away with the mulching first though. I think it looks nicer when everything is planted then mulched. Less of a chance of the dug up soil and rocks messing up the mulch.

Jason

SOMM
05-25-2005, 11:11 PM
We agree with gary 100% on order.

You may want to dedicate some drills with auger bits for all those plantings!

We water down our flats, then turn the whole flats upside down and simply shake out all the water laden bedding plants near where they will be planted, or into the wheelbarrow.

Grass Masters
05-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Yes when you have shrubs and trees you should Plant then mulch

BUT with Annuals you would never be able to plant that many flowers then mulch

Plus ANNUALS live shuch a retivally short time that they thrive well just planted in the mulch

Sharper Edge
05-29-2005, 03:13 PM
thank for all the info guys. looks like we are mulching and pulling back to plant..

SOMM
05-29-2005, 06:04 PM
hail yeh sharper, may the project be a profitable one for you and yours