PDA

View Full Version : Toro mower B&S Engine

SER
05-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I have a Toro mower with a 5HP Briggs and stratton engine. The mower was just tuned. It starts and runs fine, but after a while of use, say maybe 20 minutes, it either dies or is stopped to empty the grass bag but will not want to start again. I checked just about everything I can think of. Could this be a bad coil????? Is there any way to check the coil or do I need expenmsive tools?
SER

Tider6972
05-23-2005, 10:56 AM
To re-crank it, set the throttle at about half way, do not set it at start. That chokes it and floods it.

Redneckn
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
It sounds like a bad coil.. but it could be several things. plugged gas cap. (not common). trash in the carb. the list goes on and on.
i would check to make sure you have spark before i did anything else. there is a tester to do this with. you can also pull the plug out and leave it plugged into the lead, ground it to the block and pull. if you have a spark, then we know the coil is good. i dont like doing it this way for a wide variety of reasons. but it can be done.. you can also, hold the wire and pull it. or have someone else (that you dont like) hold the wire while you pull.