PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to park in front of a resisdential mailbox?

CURB APPEAL NC
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
One mail guy told me not to, I just shrugged it off saying he was pretty lazy to complain about walking 10 ft. to the box. then today a female starts pointing at my truck with a attitude but keeps going. Im not doing it on purpose, there i nowhere else to park my truck and trailer is to big tu pull into the drive which wouldnt be practicle anyways. just want to know if im in the wrong or if there just lazy and complaining about nothing?

jimslawns
05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Did you get any of those token paper warnings?? Last year I had one pesky mail person who would drive by my truck and throw them in the window. I am so distressed about making the PO person get off of their duff and actually have to walk up to a box :waving:

BSDeality
05-23-2005, 06:15 PM
yes, it is illegal to do. you cannot interfere with the government mail system in anyway.

funny story.
my cousin puts up modular houses and they were delivering a house one day and they had to remove the neighbors mailbox which was on the construction property so the trucks could back the houses in. the mailman came around and would not get out of the truck to put the mail in the box which was now leaning up against a tree. my cousin offered to walk the mail to the box or even to the neighbors house for him. the mailman said no and told him to drag the mailbox over to his truck and then back to the tree. all this with a big cement footing on the bottom of it!! i would have loved to have seen that.

theturfsurfer
05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't know whether it is illegal or not but I know it isn't very courteous. I try not to block mailboxes not only for the letter carrier but also for the homeowner. I have been told my the mail person that they have rules regarding blocked mail boxes and some will and some won't deliver. Depends on the person. I understand you had no options and did what I would have done.

C&KLawnCare
05-23-2005, 06:20 PM
(the mailman said no and told him to drag the mailbox over to his truck and then back to the tree. all this with a big cement footing on the bottom of it!!)

OMG it would be a shame if they had to actulay work for a living . Bout like the dang power company using binocoulars to read the meters around here. Tough luck . i let the azelias grow over this year. poor whiny ass will have to get out of his truck . I ever get a helper get that lazy down the road his ass will go .... :realmad:

Charles
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I googled it. I dont park in front of people's mail boxes. There is a thing called being considerate of others. Your customer or their neighbors may not recieve their mail:

Why do cars always have to block my mailboxes? I have talked to the local postmaster, and he said that there is no law prohibiting the cars from blocking any mailbox. He did say the mail carrier can refuse to deliver my mail. I think this is very unfair to anyone who has to pick up their mail at the main post office because of the inconsideration of others. -- No Name
(You should try appealing to your neighbors if you're not getting your mail delivered because of the way their car, or friend's car, is parked. The postal service has no jurisdiction over where vehicles are parked, and you should call police if a car is parked illegally, such as too close to a driveway. That said, the U.S. Postal Service's Domestic Mail Manual does address the question of blocked mailboxes, said Lynne Moore, manager of customer services in Hawaii.

("Customers must keep the approach to their mailboxes clear of obstruction to allow safe access for delivery," she said. "If USPS employees are impeded in reaching a mail receptacle, the postmaster may withdraw delivery service."

(In such cases, the carrier involved would make the determination. This would hold whether the carrier is on a "mounted route," in which delivery is made by driving, or by foot.

(In the case of a mounted route, the carrier "must be able to approach the mailbox in the normal way -- driving up to the mailbox," Moore said. However, even a carrier on foot could refuse to deliver mail if he or she were impeded in some other way. An obstruction could be trash piled around a mailbox, or even an aggressive dog, Moore said.)

|

proenterprises
05-23-2005, 06:26 PM
yes, it is illegal to do. you cannot interfere with the government mail system in anyway.

funny story.
my cousin puts up modular houses and they were delivering a house one day and they had to remove the neighbors mailbox which was on the construction property so the trucks could back the houses in. the mailman came around and would not get out of the truck to put the mail in the box which was now leaning up against a tree. my cousin offered to walk the mail to the box or even to the neighbors house for him. the mailman said no and told him to drag the mailbox over to his truck and then back to the tree. all this with a big cement footing on the bottom of it!! i would have loved to have seen that.

As stupid as this may seem, its probably policy. The mail carriers job is to put the mail in the mailbox; not to give it to somone to put in the mailbox. He coudl have gotten out of his truck, but I can understand him not giving it to you.

pagefault
05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
If everyone parked in fron of mailboxes, it would take forever to deliver the mail. There would also be no place to park your rig. Of course, there would be someone who thought it was ok to make you walk a little too....

The C Man
05-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Is it illegal to park in front of a resisdential mailbox? One mail guy told me not to, I just shrugged it off saying he was pretty lazy to complain about walking 10 ft. to the box.
How much extra time do you think it costs him if he has to get out of the car instead of pulling right up to the box? 20 seconds? Multiply that by the number of deliveries he makes per day and it adds up. Sure, if it was the only time he had to do it all day then it only costs him 20 seconds, but he probably has a zero tolerance policy - good for him. Look how many people here complain about having to pick up toys and other object in their customer's yards and how it slows them down.

Frontier-Lawn
05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
last week i got a mail pita fired. theres 4 houses on a street being built and 3 old homes. so the street is now full of construction trucks so i have no choice to park in the way of the box. so 3 weeks in a row i had the pass window cracked, so the lazy post driver puts it in my window both times. and pushes the window down so he can put in in all at once with a note to put in the box. so the 3rd time he did it he broke my power window. so i went to the post master and complained and he said he was going to fire him. this was not the first time he has broke a window on a car.

kc2006
05-23-2005, 07:17 PM
From what my mail "lady" has told me, if they're on a route that has mailboxes by the curb they have to have their seat belt on at all time and aren't allowed to leave the vehicle. They'll go back afterward and deliver larger items to the doors then. We don't have many mailboxes by the road around here so its rare that I have to park infront of them.

crawdad
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
A mail lady told me that they have to be able to pull up to the mailbox, without using reverse. I wasn't infront of the box, but too close for her to pull right in. Supposedly their insurance company won't let them back up. She told me this as I was politely moving my truck.
Sounds like BS to me, and I saw the same woman, at the same house, a few weeks later, backing down the entire driveway after bringing a package to the door. Insurance company, ya, sure.
Crawdad

lawnman_scott
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
If there is somewhere to park without blocking it i will, if not i will block it. For the most part, as with any government employee, the mail people are lazy.

mc752000
05-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Depends on if the mailman wants to push it. I know in Louisiana that policeman can write you a ticket. Also just a little knowledge for everyone. The only person you have to get out of the way of while driving on the road is the Postman, not police,fireman or ambulance it is just common courtesy. It is a federal offense to mess with a postman in anyway. Sounds crazy I know but it is what it is. Later,

Semper Fi

lawnman_scott
05-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Depends on if the mailman wants to push it. I know in Louisiana that policeman can write you a ticket. Also just a little knowledge for everyone. The only person you have to get out of the way of while driving on the road is the Postman, not police,fireman or ambulance it is just common courtesy. It is a federal offense to mess with a postman in anyway. Sounds crazy I know but it is what it is. Later,

Semper FiThats wrong. Maybe only state laws, but you have to move for police fire and ambulance. And I dont beleive you have to pull over for the postman.

jpp
05-23-2005, 08:50 PM

Semper Fi

This is very interesting. So you are telling us that everytime a postal delivery vehicle comes down the street you pull over. When emergency vehicles come down the street with lights and sirens screaming you just keep driving. I for one would like to see these laws. :dizzy:

mc752000
05-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Alright fellows, I wrote it wrong earlier. You cannot interfere with a postmans duty's by parking in front of the mailbox. You could get a ticket. And for the police, fire and ambulance it is just common courtesy, but you could get pulled over for failure to obey emergency lights. BUT if you don't see them you don't have to pull over. There I corrected myself Sorry for the uproar here.

mbella
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
If possible, stay out of their way. If they deliver to 100 houses a day and the have to spend, on average, an extra minute at every house, that's over an hour and a half a day. That's a lot of time.

sheshovel
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
gee don't have that problem at my house ,only problem Ive had is a family of wasps like to build in my mailbox every year.mail person gets attacked and it's my fault.
Heck I don;t have their building schedual written down.what am I gonna do stand there by the box waiting for them to build so I can kill them?

Just left a can of spray on the ground outside the box,I'll see if that helps her.

jpp
05-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Alright fellows, I wrote it wrong earlier. You cannot interfere with a postmans duty's by parking in front of the mailbox. You could get a ticket. And for the police, fire and ambulance it is just common courtesy, but you could get pulled over for failure to obey emergency lights. BUT if you don't see them you don't have to pull over. There I corrected myself Sorry for the uproar here.

Ok before you say it, I had a little extra time on my hands so I looked up your state laws for you. Go to the link below and go down to page 77. It is a pdf file. You will see what it says you are to do.
http://www.dps.state.la.us/omv/d&eguide.pdf

Got to the heading of Approach of Emergency Vehicle

Hope this helps you.

JP

Frontier-Lawn
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
they already get around $25-$30hr they can bite me. a sub diver on me road gets my mail to me by 11am the normal old bag takes her time once i got it at 6pm im like what the? :realmad: and the postal sevice jacks up the stamp price to pay the greedy drivers

surfisher211
05-24-2005, 06:29 AM
only time i park in front of a mail box is if there is no where else to park , and if i see the mail man i will usually apologize to him , and tell them i will try not to do it again. but some times u have too .

spot
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, I just retired from the Post Office last August. I am now doing lawn care and I love it. The biggest problem with the Postal Service is management. They are the biggest PITA you can imagine.

I have been told by numerous supervisors to deliver the mail to blocked boxes if it is safe to do so. I have also been told by numerous supervisors if the box is blocked bring it back. And yes, numerous supervisors have told me to use my own judgement.

I would use my own judgement and 99% of the time the mail would be delivered unless the box was blocked on a regular basis and there were other places to park.

I would always ask myself if I was in that home, would I like to get my mail? Always the answer would be yes. I treat my lawn customers the same way. I got another job today by word of mouth!

dvmcmrhp52
05-24-2005, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=BSDeality]yes, it is illegal to do. you cannot interfere with the government mail system in anyway.

QUOTE]

Correct.
They don't have to deliver the mail if access is impeded.

rokinrandy
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
whats up curb,im new to this site and i couldnt help but notice you and i live in the same town of fayettenam nc..yes they are something else around here..the carrier that delivers my mail will see me blowng off my drive way with all this yard work going on knowing dag gone well i have to get my truck out of the drive way to blow it off..it is not like my vehicle is out there all the time..well i got one of those stupid notes and this was the only time..there was plenty of room to walk up 3 feet and stick it in..after i read it i thought about how fat she was.. so being the understanding and caring guy that i am i realized she probably had a hard time squeezing between the truck and the mailbox..so with that note i left her a note and nicely apollogized and told her next time it happens no matter whos house it is that she should consider walking a little because apparantly you really need the excersize..now she gives me dirty looks and gives me my neighbors mail alot ..can you believe that ..i was just trying to help her..anyways i am not a landscaper i am a plumber that really gets alot from this forum..later

slow release
05-26-2005, 07:51 PM
I remember when I was a kid, the mailman used to park his mail jeep at the head of the street, load up his three wheeled mail cart (or shoulder bag) and actually WALK from house to house delivering mail. Can you believe that!!! It was a long time ago ;)