PDA

View Full Version : problem with stihl backpack blower-losing power

Eho
05-23-2005, 07:56 PM
I got a Stihl backpack blower at the start of this season which I really loved. Over the past week, I ve noticed to power is WAY down. I d say the power is half of what it was when running great. I looked at the manual and tried what it suggested. I checked the air filter and it was really clean, and I played with the carburetor as it suggested and it still doesnt run well at all. Its reallly frustrating that my new piece of equipment is having problems. Anything else I can try? Please help me
EHO

Zr2_thunder
05-23-2005, 08:01 PM
You might have already done it or not but if you havent yet try changing your spark plug, they tend to get dirty quick with 2 cycle engines and that would definatly give you loss of power.

herb_nc
05-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Might also check the spark arrestor attached to the muffler - make sure it is'nt clogged up w/ carbon deposits. This was the cause of my BR-400 running poorly some time back.

Jpocket
05-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Spark arrestor...pull it out

jpp
05-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Spark arrestor...pull it out

I agree it probably is the spark arrestor but clean and keep it in. Especially since you live down in Texas where it could get very dry.

topsites
05-24-2005, 01:08 PM
I got a Stihl backpack blower at the start of this season which I really loved. Over the past week, I ve noticed to power is WAY down. I d say the power is half of what it was when running great. I looked at the manual and tried what it suggested. I checked the air filter and it was really clean, and I played with the carburetor as it suggested and it still doesnt run well at all. Its reallly frustrating that my new piece of equipment is having problems. Anything else I can try? Please help me
EHO
I have a Br420/c and a br550, on both of them I noticed the throttle cable likes to come lose near the carburetor, especially when they come straight from the mfg. What then happens is even thou you're giving it full throttle, the cable slips at the other end and you hardly get any response.
Fix it by leaving the throttle in the idle position, tighten it real good and it will never come lose again.
Peace

Eho
06-11-2005, 02:12 AM
cleaned the spark arrestor and it runs like new now!
EHO :)

ed2hess
06-11-2005, 11:30 AM
cleaned the spark arrestor and it runs like new now!
EHO :)
I am surprised that the spark arrestor was clogged this quick, is this a 4mix unit? Are you using stihl oil?

Eho
06-11-2005, 12:34 PM
It is not a four mix unit and I wasnt using stihl oil. A customer of mine gave me a ton of two cycle mix last year that he got through his job somehow. I use this and it has worked fine over the past year with all my equipment. I do have some echo equipment too so I figured using the stihl oil wouldnt matter too much. Do u think this might have caused the problem? How often to they usually get dirty? It only took about 2 months of use and the spark arrestor looked very dirty
EHO

kc2006
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I asked about this when i bought a br550, the dealer said I could run any good quality oil and it would be fine. Echo, shind, stihl he said they'll all work fine.

ed2hess
06-11-2005, 07:43 PM
It is not a four mix unit and I wasnt using stihl oil. A customer of mine gave me a ton of two cycle mix last year that he got through his job somehow. I use this and it has worked fine over the past year with all my equipment. I do have some echo equipment too so I figured using the stihl oil wouldnt matter too much. Do u think this might have caused the problem? How often to they usually get dirty? It only took about 2 months of use and the spark arrestor looked very dirty
EHO
I was guessing it took around 4 months(200hrs) before I would get a clog. Most of the time I remove them to start out. I use Echo at 50:1 in Stihl, Echo, and Shindawa. I do get ports clogged on Echo usually at least once a year and sometime twice. The Shindawa T279 has gone two years and the Stihl have gone over 2 years and I have never had to clean exhaust ports.