PDA

View Full Version : pressure washer problems

BODIDDLY
05-23-2005, 10:04 PM
my pressure washer wont start. spark plug is sparking. i drained the gas and put in new gas. air filter is clean. it wont even turn over. any ideas please? could the pump be bad and cause this situation? its a honda 5 hp...

Restrorob
05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
my pressure washer wont start. spark plug is sparking. i drained the gas and put in new gas. air filter is clean. it wont even turn over. any ideas please? could the pump be bad and cause this situation? its a honda 5 hp...

I'm guessing it turned over for you to check for spark then this happened !
Sounds like its liquid locked,Remove the spark plug and position plug wire so it doesn't arc to anything on the engine and slowly pull the rope and see if fuel comes out of plug hole. If it does drop the bowl on the carb. and clean with carb. choke cleaner from the auto parts store and reassemble,continue to pull the rope until most all the fuel is out of the cylinder and reinstall plug,check oil for fuel smell and replace if so.
Hope this is of help.

fixer67
05-23-2005, 11:58 PM
I hope you have this hooked up to a water hose when you try to start it. Running a pressure washer with out water flowing it the pump is a big no-no. Runnig a pressure washer "dry" will destroy the pump in about 30-45 seconds! Water cools and lubes the pump The tech at the Generac pressure washer school told us that they did a test on a pump ran dry. In less than one minute the pump heated to 700*F and was destroyed. Ane leave a pressure washer running for more than 2 to 3 minutes without depressing the trigger. When you let off the trigger the water just goes round and round in the pump. If you must go answer the phone of the call of natural shut the pressure washer off. And a side note, pressure washers are "displacement" type pumps. They DO NOT suck or prime in any way. The input pressure must be atleast 40 PSI. You can not put the input hose in a 55 gallion drum and pump water out of it with a pressure washer.

dvmcmrhp52
05-24-2005, 12:04 AM
I hope you have this hooked up to a water hose when you try to start it. Running a pressure washer with out water flowing it the pump is a big no-no. Runnig a pressure washer "dry" will destroy the pump in about 30-45 seconds! Water cools and lubes the pump The tech at the Generac pressure washer school told us that they did a test on a pump ran dry. In less than one minute the pump heated to 700*F and was destroyed. Ane leave a pressure washer running for more than 2 to 3 minutes without depressing the trigger. When you let off the trigger the water just goes round and round in the pump. If you must go answer the phone of the call of natural shut the pressure washer off. And a side note, pressure washers are "displacement" type pumps. They DO NOT suck or prime in any way. The input pressure must be atleast 40 PSI. You can not put the input hose in a 55 gallion drum and pump water out of it with a pressure washer.

All very good and true info.............

BODIDDLY
05-24-2005, 12:30 AM
thanks for the quick replies.i will try taking the carb apart tomorrow. also the spark plug had black crud on it. maybe oil but i hope not..

BODIDDLY
05-24-2005, 08:10 PM
it will turn over just not firing at all.any other ideas i cleaned the carb and still nothing...

Restrorob
05-24-2005, 09:00 PM
it will turn over just not firing at all.any other ideas i cleaned the carb and still nothing...

In your first post you said it had spark,Now your saying after cleaning the carb. it doesn't ? Or it wont fire off and run ? Did you replace the old black looking spark plug ?

BODIDDLY
05-25-2005, 02:28 AM
yes i replaced the spark plug. it is working but the engine is not firing up.

Restrorob
05-25-2005, 08:03 AM
yes i replaced the spark plug. it is working but the engine is not firing up.

You didn't post any engine model numbers but if this is the black 5hp with the fuel tank mounted right behind the carb. there is a fuel pump also,I just done one of these yesterday and had the old fuel that was sitting in the pump go right into my clean carb. and wouldn't start. had to loosen the bowl nut just enough to let it drain a couple times to get the old fuel out, Its not wise to spray cleaner or blow compressed air through the pump because of possible damage to the diaphragm.
It takes a few pulls for the pump to refill the carb. with fuel.

cariboulou
05-25-2005, 09:29 PM
had sort of the same prob with my 13 hp Honda pressure washer. i had left fuel in the carb for a year and when i tried to start, it wouldnt! I drained old gas, took off float bowl, and needle and seat. the seat has a hole that a small safety pin or should fit through. In my case it was clogged with clear, jelly like old fuel. just by looking at it I didnt see it at first and air presure didnt get it out either. I had to unclog it with a small wire from a wire brush to get the fresh fuel flowing properly.

BODIDDLY
05-27-2005, 10:05 PM
i drained the carb about five times pulling in between to fill it up then drained it in between and still no luck i will take it apart again and see if its clogged.if any other ideas are out there keep them comming.thanks