PDA

View Full Version : PLUGR vs. TurnAer 26

ncmark
05-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a TurnAer 26 with the Chariot, and it is great on lawns that are open and over 7K. On tight lawns I find it very heavy, and a pain in the *ss. Is the PLUGR better on tight lawns? I won't get rid of my Turfco, but I am looking for an aerator that is better on small lawns.

TIA

Mark

TClawn
05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
from the video, the plugr look like it would be perfect for those kind of tight lawns, but I have never used one in person. the only aeartors I have used are bluebirds (ugh).

Turfco2
05-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Just an FYI, Turfco also make a narrower unit geared for smaller lawns. It is the TurnAer20. Fits through a 28" gate and has the steering capabilities the same as the TurnAer26.

dochuff
06-28-2005, 11:21 PM
FWIW,

I own a Plugr 400. In short, it is easy to turn and use and works well on the moderate inclines of my front and side lawns. Core depths ranged from 2.5" in very hard (dry) clay to almost 3.5" on sandy lawn.

So far I cannot attest to the durability (I have only owned it a month), but it is such a simple design it should be easy to repair if needed.

I use it on my 10,000+ sq ft croquet lawn. My greensward was laser leveled to within a one quarter inch. My turf is Tif Eagle Bermuda, presently cut 5 X weekly at 9/64" (or 0.140") with my Toro 3100 triplex greensmower

Because of my height of cut, I needed vertical core aeration. Compared to a rotary aerator, every aeration hole is very clean, not an oblong SCAR. This amounts to significantly less surface disruption and eliminates scalping at aeration holes.

In the past, I rented a Ryan Lawnaire IV and borrowed a very old Ryan Greensaire 28??? The Greensaire 28 (vertical aeration) was superb, but
the Lawnaire (rotary) cost me a premature reel grind and bedknife replacement on my greensmower.

Your lawn needs may not be as complex as mine, but I needed a vertical core aerator for less than $2000. I found a few used Ryans 28's on E Bay for $2000+, but I was reluctant to buy someone else's problem machine. The way I figure it, why would they sell it cheap if it really works that well?

If you would like I will send photos of the cores.

Dr. J

sildoc
06-28-2005, 11:50 PM
I purchased the pl400 rental machine this last spring. Now has over 75 hrs on it and has done close to 150 lawns amounting close to 40 acres. I have done 3 commercial complexes with it that are all 1+ acres but not wide enough for a pull behind because of the manuverability. They all took less than 2 hours one took 3 because it has alot of trees to go around. Grease and change oil and run run run. very easy to manuver and not very heavy either. Looking forward to using it more. It takes about 20 min from unload to load to do 5000 sq ft of turf. I like it and it pulls one he!! of a core.