PDA

View Full Version : paver patio sand (please help)

FERT-TEK
05-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Little paver experience, just what I have read. So, consider me a homeowner on this one. The only job I have done is the one you are looking at, which is my back yard patio. It is 400 sq/ft paver patio that is held in place by a retaining wall. Over the years the sand and base that holds the last row of bricks along the perimeter of the patio has washed away causing the bricks to dip almost 1". Today I rebuilt it using paver base and more sand on top to level the bricks. Looks pretty good for a homeowner job. Now I want to lock it all in with the real fine sand. I think it is called playground sand at Home Depot.

My question is how much sand do you suppose I need to top dress the entire patio. Most of the sand locking it in place has washed away and should be redone. I sprayed the weeds with roundup and plan on scrubbing the bird **** off also. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. the pictures are of of the areas I had to repair.

FERT-TEK
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Just viewed the pictures I posted. they dont show the gaps between the bricks very well. I would estimate 1/4" of sand missing between the bricks in the center of the patio and up to 1" along the perimeter.

Edgewater
05-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Nice job for a first patio :cool2:

I like to use the binder sand with the polymer in it. One bag will fill about 100 sq ft. Sweep it in, tamp, sweep again, mist with water (make sure there is none on the surface) and tamp again.

FERT-TEK
05-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Edgewater, thanks for the reply. Can I buy that sand at Home Depot or do I need to go to a nursery that sells hardscape supplies.

FERT-TEK
05-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Bump, love it when I am leading the thread in posts when it is my thread. Bump

Edgewater
05-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I know that our local building supply has it, not sure on HD. They will if they sell any pavers.

MarcusLndscp
05-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure how much volume you get from that downspout from your gutters but it would be of concern to me if I was doing a patio and had it flowing right on to your paver surface. I agree, if your a homeowner I would say you've done a good job with it.

YardPro
05-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Use Polymeric Sand And Your Problems Are Over.

kris
05-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Use Polymeric Sand And Your Problems Are Over.

Ya ,we have gone exclusively to that this season.

FERT-TEK
05-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure how much volume you get from that downspout from your gutters but it would be of concern to me if I was doing a patio and had it flowing right on to your paver surface. I agree, if your a homeowner I would say you've done a good job with it.
Poly sand it is! Curious what makes it better than regular sand? Regarding the downspouts I havn't repalced the splashblocks and extensions yet. I took them off to work on the areas that were damaged.

FERT-TEK
05-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Poly sand it is! Curious what makes it better than regular sand? Regarding the downspouts I havn't repalced the splashblocks and extensions yet. I took them off to work on the areas that were damaged.
One more question, are most sealers made equal or is one better than another. I havn't sealed the patio in at least four years and it is showing wear because of it. No salt used on it but Chicago winters can be brutal. Which sealer would you recommend? Unilock or again somthing from HD?

YardPro
05-30-2005, 08:38 PM
poly sand is not sand at all.
it is a mix of polymers and mand made particles that set after being wet down initally.

poly sand is much better than a sealer.

northmichigan
05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
poly sand is not sand at all.
it is a mix of polymers and mand made particles that set after being wet down initally.

poly sand is much better than a sealer.
do you think it would work on flagstone patios? the joints are less than an inch but irregularly shaped.thanks for a reply in advance.
mj

YardPro
06-01-2005, 06:34 AM
i don't see why not. you can get it in brwon, grey, red, etc. to match your color rock.