PDA

View Full Version : overseeding bermuda?

rover
05-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I am overseeding bermuda and have already plug aerated? I am thinking about spike aerating before and after allowing the seed to be pushed into the soil. Would a de-thatcher work the same or better than a spike aerator for this purpose? Your help is appreciated.

out4now
05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
What grass type are you overseeding with? Just putting down more bermuda seed or another variety?

rover
05-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention. I am overseeding an existing lawn with only a few patches of bermuda. I don't know what kind of grass it is; a mixture of weeds and grass with some browing and thinning areas. If at all possible, I don't want to kill the existing grass. Most of it still looks OK. Another question, is it too late to overseed with Lesco transition fescue or do I need to wait until Fall?

NickN
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
You're overseeding in Alabama in June?You gotta be kidding.I'm hoping you're not in business,but only seeding your own lawn.

rover
05-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Yes, I'm overseeding Bermuda. It is a warm season grass best planted in late spring or early summer. I'm not overseeding any cool season grasses, just Bermuda.

Carolina Cutter
05-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Well if he is overseeding with Bermuda it is fine. I advise my customers NOT to seed until it gets in the 80 degree range when using Bermuda. I can put out some Bermuda seed in July and as long as its kept watered for a week or so, have a carpet of grass within two weeks.......I did this to my yard when I first bought the house and still have the best looking lawn on the block....

No, I am not the least bit conceited..... :cool2:

NickN
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
ok,you're seeding with bermuda.Good,but you were asking about Lesco fescue.Also,you're wasting your time.Bermuda can't be overseeded using the method you describe.Won't germinate from being planted too deep.

NickN
05-26-2005, 10:17 PM
rover,are you able to receive private messages?

rover
05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey, NickN, I can't receive private messages. What's your thoughts on the best way to get the Bermuda seed to germinate?

Carolina Cutter
05-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey, NickN, I can't receive private messages. What's your thoughts on the best way to get the Bermuda seed to germinate?

Water, water, water, water......did I say water?

That and keep the traffic off of it as much as possible until it comes in....shouldn't take long.

rover
05-27-2005, 06:56 PM
hey merlin, would it work better if I used a spike aerator before and after I broadcast the seed? Do I need to top-dress with sand?

NickN
05-27-2005, 10:36 PM
post your email address.I'll be laying sod tomorrow,so I'll try and check tomorrow night.