PDA

View Full Version : How would you smooth out a field?

grasswhacker
05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I mow about 6 of 24 acres around our house, however it is very bumpy and rough even though the lawn looks very nice. I have to mow it a half speed or my body feels like I'm in a paint shaker. Should i take a roller over the ground after it rains (hate to roll a lawn)? Any suggestions?

Green Pastures
05-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Take a Harley rake to it this fall and re-seed.

grasswhacker
05-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Take a Harley rake to it this fall and re-seed.

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Adamma Landscape Group
05-29-2005, 07:01 PM
The best way to smooth out a field is by top dressing or lawn leveling.

kilpatrickshrub&turf
05-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Run a box blade over it and re seed. Called by some a "grade box".
If real rough b sure the blade box has a scarifier bar.

GreenUtah
06-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Agree with Adamma...why renovate a lawn that is in good shape when another method and a little patience will solve the problem? You can roll and aerate to relieve the compaction created from rolling it or you can topdress the lawn with a fine mulch or sand, slowly raising the lawn and evening it out. Take a page from the golf guys on this, they don't cut their greens out when they want to change contours and slopes.

Green Pastures
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
The best way to smooth out a field is by top dressing or lawn leveling.

Explain "lawn leveling". What exactly is that and how do you do it?

Remember guy's, this gentleman is talking about 6 acres of 24 total. I don't have any idea how much of that he needs leveled but that's ALOT of product to topdress 6 acres and you're still going to have to seed.

The lawn by his own description is not in good shape, renovation is a good idea. Roll 6 acres? Then aerate 6 acres to aleviate the compaction you just caused with the roller. Then seed. Now we have three steps and rental of two machines instead of 2 steps and one machine rental.

As far as cost, I'm feeling the Harley rake and subsequent seeding is the way to go.

GreenUtah
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
actually, he said the lawn is in good shape "though the lawn looks very nice" so I don't see a need to reseed. If you have 24 acres of property around a house, you need some equipment to maintain it. Doubtful that it would be a one time fix forever and ever, regardless of the method chosen, so important to learn what options are available for it's continued management, wouldn't you agree?

Green Pastures
06-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I would agree that he needs some decent equipment to handle maintaining 24 acres.

However, after reading his post again, I think his problem is not the look of the lawn, it's being shook to death every time he has to mow. The lawn sounds like it is incredibly uneven. While there are many ways to correct this, in my opinion and experience the Harley rake is the best way to correct the problem.

muddstopper
06-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Without a doubt, a harley rake will level and smooth the lawn but, using a harley will also require reseeding. Arevation just pulls plugs and wont help level. Depending on the site I suggest the use of an areovator to fix the site. The Areo-Vator by First products does wonders smoothing out the bump as it will vibrate the soil, relieving compaction and level at the same time. I have done this many a times to help smooth out a few ruff spots. For the real high spots you just go slower over the bump and the Areovator will smooth it out. You can broadcast seed, fertilizer and lime before areovation and thicken the lawn up in the same step. Of course I havent seen his site but if you dont want to rennovate, the areovator is a pretty good option.

orangejbird
06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Get a local farmer with a soil finisher to work it for you with something like this. Roll it and forget it. The chewed up sod that's left will regrow the old grass quickly.

orangejbird
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Interseed with a broadcaster on a ATV and then set the seed with this soil conditioner after the soil finisher. You could do all 24 acres!

tnpete
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Sorry moved it

grasswhacker
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Explain "lawn leveling". What exactly is that and how do you do it?

Remember guy's, this gentleman is talking about 6 acres of 24 total. I don't have any idea how much of that he needs leveled but that's ALOT of product to topdress 6 acres and you're still going to have to seed.

The lawn by his own description is not in good shape, renovation is a good idea. Roll 6 acres? Then aerate 6 acres to aleviate the compaction you just caused with the roller. Then seed. Now we have three steps and rental of two machines instead of 2 steps and one machine rental.

As far as cost, I'm feeling the Harley rake and subsequent seeding is the way to go.

The lawn is in great shape and very healthy just bumpy.
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Lawn Sharks
06-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I disagree that aerating won't level. A deep tine aeration and dragging chains over the dried plugs a couple of times in one season will smooth some very bumpy ground.

muddstopper
06-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I disagree that aerating won't level. A deep tine aeration and dragging chains over the dried plugs a couple of times in one season will smooth some very bumpy ground.
Not disagreeing with you but have you ever seen an area after an areovator has ran over it? A core aeration pulls plugs where as a areovator shakes and fractures the ground. This shaking and fracturing will turn hard ground into loose soil and the roller on the back of the areovator will level the humps and bumps that the machine has broken up. The dryer the soil, the better the areovator works. An Areovator also works in real hard soil where a core aerator will only bounce on top of the ground.

Lawn Sharks
06-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Not disagreeing with you at all. Having never used an Aerovator I cannot speak to their performance but I have had great results with aeration and chain dragging.

muddstopper
06-29-2005, 08:33 PM
Keith, if you ever get the chance you should demo an areovator. Best overseeder on the market to (well maybe not the best but I like it). Just broadcast seed before you areovate. I like it better than a slit seeder. I also like useing it to prep ground before seeding. It makes the ground smooth as silk without compacting it.

Lawn Sharks
06-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Muddstopper,
I will definately give it a try if I have a need for one. Before I moved to South Carolina from Vermont I could have used one plenty of times. ;)

Down here we sit on mostly sand and all the lots are subdivision and quite smooth. If I run across a rough one I will track down an aerovator and give it a shot!

tnturbo
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
If it is that bad, I would just start over with a new seedbed. If there are 24 acres of yard, the equipment should be there to do it. I would run a chisel plow over it, then use a behind the tractor tiller, seed the area with a Brillion seeder or use a roller on it after seeding in a different manner

muddstopper
06-30-2005, 06:18 PM
If it is that bad, I would just start over with a new seedbed. If there are 24 acres of yard, the equipment should be there to do it. I would run a chisel plow over it, then use a behind the tractor tiller, seed the area with a Brillion seeder or use a roller on it after seeding in a different manner

Good point! If you are going to have 24 acres of lawn you should have the equipment to take care of it or at least be willing to pay someone that does have the equipment.

grasswhacker
06-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Good point! If you are going to have 24 acres of lawn you should have the equipment to take care of it or at least be willing to pay someone that does have the equipment.

I only maintain 6 acres of it as lawn. Start from the begining please :dizzy: