PDA

View Full Version : Blades will not engage

haligan
05-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I have a Great Dane Surfer. When I push the switch to engage the blades nothing happens. Have checked the safety switches, they are working. I checked to see if I was getting voltage to the clutch' but did not get a reading. I traced it back to the relay, there I was getting about 15v on three of the wires and nothing on fourth wire leading to the electric clutch. However, I'm not sure If I am suppose to get a reading on this wire. The wire is orange. Has any one else had similar problems with the relay? I thought I would ask before I went out to buy a relay. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Smalltimer1
05-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Check your ground. A bad ground would cause it to be inoperable.

BODIDDLY
05-27-2005, 09:58 PM
i had the same problem.my wire underneath had broke in half.check your wires and make sure the are ok...if they are covered with cloth rip it back to check that the wire did not get bent also.

dutch1
05-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I've just been through similar problems with a surfer. Check the leads coming out of the charging coil with a VOM--you should have about 75-80 VAC. If not, you have a bad charging ring(stator). Unplug pigtail going into clutch and with blade switch on and engagement handle down check VDC at this pigtail. Voltage there should be about 14,6 VDC. If these readings are close I would say that you have excessive air gap in the clutch. I had adjusted the air gap to the recommended air gap of .012-.015 and clutch would not engage with 14.6 VDC at clutch pigtrail. It wasn't until I broke down the clutch that I discovered .025-.028 grooves in the transfer plate. This essentially made the air gap somewhere in the vicinity of .040. Replaced clutch and everything was OK.

ed2hess
05-28-2005, 08:10 PM
I've just been through similar problems with a surfer. Check the leads coming out of the charging coil with a VOM--you should have about 75-80 VAC. If not, you have a bad charging ring(stator). Unplug pigtail going into clutch and with blade switch on and engagement handle down check VDC at this pigtail. Voltage there should be about 14,6 VDC. If these readings are close I would say that you have excessive air gap in the clutch. I had adjusted the air gap to the recommended air gap of .012-.015 and clutch would not engage with 14.6 VDC at clutch pigtrail. It wasn't until I broke down the clutch that I discovered .025-.028 grooves in the transfer plate. This essentially made the air gap somewhere in the vicinity of .040. Replaced clutch and everything was OK.
Ditch1,

This is off the subject but I wonder if you could have got a little more life out of thaat clutch by setting the gap to .005". I noticed that when you get a new clutch they are apparently set pretty close because if you rotate the belt by hand there is significant drag on the pulley/belts when disengaged. And on Kohler that AC voltage is usually a little less than 75 volts, like around 26 volts I thought. I had a failure in the voltage regulator where both voltages were there but it still won't pick the clutch. I replaced the regulator and it fixed the problem.

dutch1
05-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Yes, it's possible to have gotten some more life out of the clutch, but with the groove at .025, even at 9 clearance it would have been out of the .912-.915 spec. The drag you're experiencing is on the brake side not on the clutch engagement side. I checked the new clutch air gap and it was in the proper range as specs by Warner recommend.

haligan
06-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I fixed the problem by replacing one of the relays. It was not the relay I previously thought was giving me the problem though. However, both relays were the same so I was able to interchange the two. Thanks for your help.

garyslawn
06-03-2005, 07:23 AM
How many hours does the electric clutch usually last?

garyslawn
06-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Blades do nor run all the time.From what you guys post I am thinking it is the air gap on the magnets of the clutch. How do you set them. I never had electric clutch before. Thanks...