PDA

View Full Version : oil pan gasket

FDC
05-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Guy's :waving:
i have a kawasaki engine #FC420V-CS09 it has a an oil leak at the oil pan gasket just wondering what kind of surprizes i will get into by changeing this gasket is there a special process in doing it ( turn it upside down or on its side so nothing will fall out) i don't have a manual so i have no idea whats in store for me :dizzy:

thanks Fred

Redneckn
05-27-2005, 11:19 AM
drain oil. remove engine. flip engine. remove pan.
clean surfaces. apply rtv sealant. install pan. install oil seal.
torque pan down. i forgot the torque specs for that. as soon as i can free up some screen on my computer here at work i will see if i can find them for you.

easy as that.

Redneckn
05-27-2005, 11:39 AM
ok. i cant find it right off online. (the torque for the oil pan bolts.) call a john deere dealer is what i would do.

ed2hess
05-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I ran JB Weld around the edge where the two pieces come together and no more leaking for at least 3 years. I haven't done many seals but sometimes the oil pump shaft(not sure of correct hardware word) keeps you from putting the bottom part back on easily. It is an alignment situation.

Redneckn
05-27-2005, 04:19 PM
i guess you could jb weld it..
I would NOT. there are always several ways of doing things. the correct way and several wrong ways.
jb welding a leaking sump is just a bad idea.
would you jb weld the oil pan on your truck?

FDC
05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Thank you very much, I would rather do it one of the correct ways. JB weld is just like you said, not a good fix for this. I really appreciate your reply and efforts on any way you can help me.
Thanks again. Fred

hole in one lco
05-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Nothing will fall out but don't do what i did and fup the timing. Trust me i put it all together and on the mower and pull no start had to take it all apart and fix the timing. I have the shop manual so if you need the step by step i will email them to you

ed2hess
05-28-2005, 07:15 PM
i guess you could jb weld it..
I would NOT. there are always several ways of doing things. the correct way and several wrong ways.
jb welding a leaking sump is just a bad idea.
would you jb weld the oil pan on your truck?
I do a lot of things to keep equipment in the field that you professional guys won't do. The JB is a temporary fix until winter. I won't pull an engine off to replace a seal at this time of year. There are some risks in pulling that engine, but that is my 2 cents.

TClawn
05-28-2005, 08:58 PM
like what risks?

I have only changed the gaskets on my kohler, and can tell you that it's pretty easy to change the oil pan gasket on one of those. just make sure you use the red or black RTV.

I don't know if the governor is the same on the kawi, but by turning the engine horizontally, it is vastly easier to put the pan back on. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FORCE IT.

Redneckn
05-30-2005, 12:49 PM
ed2hess. i realize that time is at a premium for you guys.
but you have to realize that for us, the ones who get stuck having to fix it in the end usually, that kind of thing is just an irritant..
i do understand though. i did the same thing back home when working on the farm with dad.. you do what you have to to get the hay baled.. and worry about why the oiler aint working when you get done. until then, you get off every few rolls and manually oil it..

FDC
06-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks Guys for all the info on this oil pan and a special thank you to (hole in one lco) for the pic's and the step by spep if the parts come in today i will get to it this week end seeing its sapose to rain

thanks again Fred