PDA

View Full Version : jd 400 with k532

rbig
05-27-2005, 07:28 PM
There I was. Mowing merrily along today when, I got a big, white puff of smoke, and my power dropped very slightly and the engine ran just a little bit rough. Then, it cleared right up, and the engine resumed doing fine. For a few minutes. Then, it did this again several times before I put the old girl away. The engine was running smooth when I put the machine away.

If I remember right, white smoke means it's oil. So, what could some causes be of this occurrence?

How can dollops of oil intermittently get into the cylinders while the thing is running, without anything seemingly being wrong?

What should I be checking?

Redneckn
05-27-2005, 08:12 PM
crankcase breather assembly. bad rings. head gasket. too much oil.
i would think breather assembly if you take care of your machine.

Smalltimer1
05-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Sounds like you're about to lose a head gasket.

Don't let it run hot. Rods will fly if you let'er overheat.

rbig
05-27-2005, 10:00 PM
}}} crankcase breather assembly. bad rings. head gasket. too much oil.
i would think breather assembly if you take care of your machine {{{

I'll check the oil aspect and breather assy tomorrow. Those sound like good places to start.

Don't know why a head gasket would be going, as the machine is running good----except for the occasional smoking.

Also, rings seem to be out, or it would be smoking constant once a ring goes, I think.

rbig
05-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Problem solved. Went out and checked this morning, and I had overfilled the oil by a pint. Then, was mowing on short but steep sloped area when the smoking occurred. Several were quick to point this probability out. Thanks. Just finished mowing 2 acres with the machine, so it's OK.