PDA

View Full Version : edge with no bed edger

chefdrp
05-27-2005, 09:57 PM
This is for guys that think they need a power bed edger. This was done by hand last week. I just got to the prop again to mow and take a pic of the edge my friend puts in. He is awsome

Gilla Gorilla
05-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Darrin that edge does look great. But how over grown was the edge before he started? How long did it take him? And how much material did he have to haul away?

But once again it does look great from the pictures and I'm sure in person.

Turfdude
05-27-2005, 10:25 PM
We re-cut our bed edges each year w/ a spade too. Just keep them sharp on the grinder. For new beds, we use a sod cutter first to remove sod, then aspade to define the edge deeper.

chefdrp
05-27-2005, 10:42 PM
the edge was very overgrown, I wasnt at the site at the time so i dont know how long it took. The mulch work was huge. The longes part to edge was part of what i took the pic of. There is a creek that runs into the lake. Both sides of the creek were edged and mulched. that alone was abou 200 feet.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 06:39 AM
cutting edges with a spade is primitive, time consuming, andcreates more waste than neccesary. stop dragging your knuckles, start walking upright

chefdrp
05-28-2005, 06:58 AM
It was so peacfull with you gone Bobby. LOL. Dont you have a gear W/B? To me thats primitive. Stand upright on a hydro with a casting sulky. Then you will see what saving time is.

YardPro
05-29-2005, 06:41 AM
no one ever said you could not do it without a machine, but with a machine it would have taken a lot less time.

how can you not know how long jobs take???? that sounds like a good way to start loosing money.... you should know how long each task takes so you can see if you are charging appropriately

Lnd Svyr
05-29-2005, 07:17 AM
That looks really good. I just did my own front beds by hand yesterday, about 200'. It took about 4 hours and 25 contractor-sized wheelbarrows rolled to the backyard (fortunately it's low back there anyway so I need the material). The beds were REALLY overgrown and I also brought them out further into the yard. However, I was done in by 5 pm. I should've at least rented the bed edger. especially since I've still got another 200' to edge today. I also found out that if you do not use paint to mark the edges first, you spend a lot of time going back over areas to get that curve just right (I didn't feel like leaving the hole in the woods for a can of paint).

I'm 44 now and my body knows it. Landscaping can be as hard as land surveying; makes cutting grass seem like you're lying around in a hammock all day. This I know:

Use power equipment any time you can!

chefdrp
05-29-2005, 07:48 AM
i dont know how long it took mike to do it because he was doing the job. It wasnt my job. It was just on one of my props. I do 905 mowing and only a handfull of small installs. I sub Mike (Arrowwood Landscaping) to do all the other stuff.

DLCS
05-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Lol, if you do alot of installs and defining bed edges, you will own a bed edger.

Markf
05-30-2005, 08:31 AM
We are in the process of demoing a Brown bed edger. It is no lie as to what they tell you it can do. I did approximately 500 ft of edging in about twenty minutes, maybe less. We accomplished 4 jobs of edging (this was cutting new edges not maintenance) in a ridiculously short period of time. We most likely will buy the machine.
Mark

YardPro
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM
i dont know how long it took mike to do it because he was doing the job. It wasnt my job. It was just on one of my props. I do 905 mowing and only a handfull of small installs. I sub Mike (Arrowwood Landscaping) to do all the other stuff.

if you don't do many installs then how can you actually KNOW what way is better????

Gilla Gorilla
05-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Mark F

I just redefined my parents edges yesterday. All 446' of them in under 10 minutes and was then using the stick edger to clean up the scraggly grass blades from hanging over the newly cut edges. Those Brown bed edgers kick azz and I love mine. They are also great for installing plastic edging when customers want that versus metal edging.

chefdrp
05-30-2005, 10:14 PM
i never said i KNOW what is better. I just wanted to show what a great job the Mike does without a power edger.