PDA

View Full Version : anything for money?

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 06:52 AM
would you do a job, even though it was not neccesary, and a huge waste of the customers money, if they demanded you do it? here is the short version: she has established beds throughout the property. many plants, trees, grasses, etc, that have been there for years. her request was that we topdress the beds with 2-3" of fresh topsoil, then apply 2-3" of fresh mulch. my advice to her was that the level didn't need to be raised, we should just do the mulch. she wasn't listening, her position was simply that this is what she wanted. i quoted an outrageous price, she bit. now the fun begins. would you have done the job for her, even though you know it made no sense? we are talking roughly 8 yds of topsoil, then 8 yds of mulch. money was no object with her

rodfather
05-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Give her what she wants IMO. Period

green thum
05-28-2005, 07:00 AM
If you explained to her she didn't need it and she still wanted it done i would do it,after all these people are hiring us for our knowledge and you tried to tell her,sp yeah i would do it.good luck man!

dfor
05-28-2005, 07:12 AM
would you do a job, even though it was not neccesary, and a huge waste of the customers money, if they demanded you do it?

Of course. If it wasn't me, it would be money in someone elses pocket.

Ground Effects NH
05-28-2005, 08:29 AM
If she's paying ...... I'm playing.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 08:41 AM
ok, this story has many parts. part 2: sure, i did the work, and charged handsomely for it. then......she requested that the mulch be moved. she said it was too close to the base of the plants, and that a 5" ring should be created around the plants and trees, by moveing the mulch. she asked that we come back, and create these rings. of course, at an added fee. would you accomodate her on this request also?

BCSteel
05-28-2005, 09:03 AM
ok, this story has many parts. part 2: sure, i did the work, and charged handsomely for it. then......she requested that the mulch be moved. she said it was too close to the base of the plants, and that a 5" ring should be created around the plants and trees, by moveing the mulch. she asked that we come back, and create these rings. of course, at an added fee. would you accomodate her on this request also?

Are you new? Just do the dam work and collect your money.

Shadygrove
05-28-2005, 09:40 AM
But be careful, raising the grade by 5-6" (2-3" topsoil, 2-3" mulch) around mature plants could cause some real problems for her landscape. Crown Rot anyone?

olderthandirt
05-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Take the $$$$$ and laugh all the way to the bank.
Best part is she will be a repeat customer when the plants start to die off. I love idiot customers that know it all!

Doc Pete
05-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Are you new? Just do the dam work and collect your money.

ARE YOU NEW???......... Now that's the funniest line I've heard this week. Well said... :p :p ;) ;)

Actually, it's just normal BOBBY G.......That's funny in itself :dizzy: :

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 02:49 PM
ARE YOU NEW???......... Now that's the funniest line I've heard this week. Well said... :p :p ;) ;)

Actually, i'm a homosexual from basking ridge new jersey
weirdo. anyhow, no, i'm not new, just going thru the "stages" of this story. and wanting to see if others would have accomodated her

olderthandirt
05-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Doc Pete
ARE YOU NEW???......... Now that's the funniest line I've heard this week. Well said...

Actually, i'm a homosexual from basking ridge new jersey
Now thats funny !!!! :D

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 03:23 PM
i know mac, this guy is nuts isn't he? he admittedly stated that he has top quality equipment, but works for less than market value because he, in his own words, "doesn't need to make money." what a weirdo

out4now
05-28-2005, 04:55 PM
The customer is always right :rolleyes: Take the money. If you tried to explain the possible outcomes and she wanted it anyway, you acted ethically.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 05:29 PM
moving a step further:i'm laughing at this point, because all my efforts to talk this lady out of this craziness, is a waste of time. ok, we go back and move the mulch as she requested, at a hefty fee. she pays without hesitation...

Green Pastures
05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Take the $$$$$ and laugh all the way to the bank.
Best part is she will be a repeat customer when the plants start to die off. I love idiot customers that know it all!

When you do work for customers that you know will damage their property in order to get more work from them later that is akin stealing from them.

I'm not a thief. I don't like theives.

I don't lie to people. I don't like liars.

I don't run my business like that. I don't associate with people who run their businesses like that.

It's becoming more and more difficult to keep my mouth shut about all the TERRIBLE advice and comments made be "seasoned professionals" here on Lawnsite.

It must be tough to get advertisers to support a board where the members talk like this.

Sean Adams
05-28-2005, 06:00 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOA SCOTT!

You just pm'd me about this thread and after reading every post made, I could not agree more with what everyone said and disagree more with your moral judgement you are trying to pass down. No one is a thief here. bobby stated crystal clear that the work being performed was not necessary and he told the client so...but she insisted. Mac was who you quoted when he said "laugh to the bank...idiot customers who think they know it all..." - nothing wrong there either. If bobby (the service provider who does this for a living) told her not to do it and she (the homeowner who is willfully spending her money) told him to proceed anyway, then guess what....she is about to learn a lesson, and a valuable one...listen to the professional you are hiring.
By not listening to bobby she was not only being foolish but disrespectful as well. Either way, customer service...customer is always right....give them whatever they want....

Second, you can disagree with members if you so choose but do not "lump" the entire site as one in your criticisms and make comments about associations, advertisers, etc...way out of bounds.

Green Pastures
05-28-2005, 06:08 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOA SCOTT!

You just pm'd me about this thread and after reading every post made, I could not agree more with what everyone said and disagree more with your moral judgement you are trying to pass down. No one is a thief here. bobby stated crystal clear that the work being performed was not necessary and he told the client so...but she insisted. Mac was who you quoted when he said "laugh to the bank...idiot customers who think they know it all..." - nothing wrong there either. If bobby (the service provider who does this for a living) told her not to do it and she (the homeowner who is willfully spending her money) told him to proceed anyway, then guess what....she is about to learn a lesson, and a valuable one...listen to the professional you are hiring.
By not listening to bobby she was not only being foolish but disrespectful as well. Either way, customer service...customer is always right....give them whatever they want....

Second, you can disagree with members if you so choose but do not "lump" the entire site as one in your criticisms and make comments about associations, advertisers, etc...way out of bounds.

So you agree with doing work for your customers that is not necessary, simply because they insist on it?

That's the premise I'm talking about Sean.

Doing work you KNOW is not necessary AND if that weren't enough, but you also KNOW that work will be bad for the existing plants and you do it anyway, and you are telling me there is nothing wrong with running a business that way?

Am I understanding you?

Ever heard of people testing you?

Ever seen on the news where they send a lady in with an apparent problem with her car? The producers switch a couple of wires and it makes the car run terrible. She takes it in to 15 different dealerships during the course of the day. 13 of them tell her she needs a new EFI computer in her car and tell her it'll be $1954.95 to complete the work, all the while KNOWING that it is just two switched wires.

The 2 dealers that say, it's just 2 switched wires mamn, we fixed it, have a nice day, no charge.

All of this get's televised on the six o'clock news.

Which dealer do you want your wife taking her car to?

Sean Adams
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Scott,

I do not think you read bobby's posts clearly...

Your dealership example (tweaked) as in the case of bobby's customer

Your wife pulls into a dealership and says I want my brakes replaced and two Mickey Mouse tires on the front and large off-road tires on the back...

Dealer says..."Ma'm, umm, your brakes are fine and it could be dangerous putting tires on a car like that"

Your wife responds..."Look, I know what i am asking for, money is no object, the car will be fine, just do it"

A little different scenario than the poor homemaker who doesnt know her car horn from her doorbell asking for advice....

Bobby's client told him what she wanted, he advised against it, she insisted....this is serving the customer. She asked for something and she got it.

Flip it around...she asks for this service, bobby says no I refuse to do so becasue it is not proper procedure...she in turn tells everyone she knows not to hire Gedd's Gardens because they are not customer service oriented.

There is a fine line here...if bobby would have said he knew it was wrong and never told her, then yes, I would have a problem with it and disagree.... Hopefully she will learn a lesson - listen to the professional you are hiring who does this for a living - he/she just might know what they are talking about.

Thirdpete
05-28-2005, 06:20 PM
he told her that it was "just two switched wires" by telling her that she should only use mulch. she insisted on the "EFI computer" and she paid for it.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 06:30 PM
green pastures, is not letting me finish the story. you see that's the problem, he was weined in a cow pasture, and not bright enough to follow the story. i said plain and simple, there were many stages to this story, i am actually, slowly, getting to the REASON WHY you shouldn't do things that you know are wrong.

Green Pastures
05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm going to apologise to anyone I may have offended and bow out of this thread.

Have a nice day.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 06:45 PM
as time moved on......many of the plants she had, were decideous, meaning, they dropped thier leaves in fall, and new ones would not grow, till around mid april. ok, she called in early march, "we have a problem, i need you here right now." so, i mosey on over. she states that, she feels, the mulch that was put in, was contaminated, and this is why her plants have lost thier leaves. i explain that the new leaves will appear over the next 2 months or so. she insists, she knows better, and that the mulch is contaminated, and is the reason the plants lost thier leaves, and will not grow new ones. she wants the 8 yards of mulch REMOVED from the beds, and will pay anything i say. do you accomodate her?

olderthandirt
05-28-2005, 06:45 PM
When you do work for customers that you know will damage their property in order to get more work from them later that is akin stealing from them.

I'm not a thief. I don't like theives.

I don't lie to people. I don't like liars.

I don't run my business like that. I don't associate with people who run their businesses like that.

It's becoming more and more difficult to keep my mouth shut about all the TERRIBLE advice and comments made be "seasoned professionals" here on Lawnsite.

It must be tough to get advertisers to support a board where the members talk like this.
Scott
If you are going to compare me with a thief and a liar you are way off base.
No one lied
No one stole
With your way of thinking that would make you arrogant
The customers knows nothing and I know it all, and if they won't take my advice then I won't work for them.
I don't think its so TERRIBLE to give a customer what they want after giving them sound professional advise. I call that business. We all have are way of doing it.

bobbygedd
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
i was raised on a cow pasture, and breast fed from a bull. how was i supposed to know...it wasn't really milk?

Have a nice day.
geeze man, come on will ya

BCSteel
05-28-2005, 07:23 PM
green pastures, is not letting me finish the story. you see that's the problem, he was weined in a cow pasture, and not bright enough to follow the story. i said plain and simple, there were many stages to this story, i am actually, slowly, getting to the REASON WHY you shouldn't do things that you know are wrong.

You had ample time to finish the story but chose not too. You ARE new!

YardPro
05-28-2005, 08:11 PM
well bobby, after the " i will not be back" you sure come back with a lot of " what if's"

take you a while to think this stuff up, or sean call you back cuase things are slow here without you?????

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 07:37 AM
well bobby, after the " i will not be back" you sure come back with a lot of " what if's"

take you a while to think this stuff up, or sean call you back cuase things are slow here without you?????
yea, in other words, you just werent cutting it. i bet, if u never signed on again, no one would even know you were gone. so now, let me continue with my story......ok, we remove the 8 yds of mulch, at a hefty fee. the time period when we removed the mulch, was consistant with the time decideous plants were sprouting new leaves.and of course, her logic was....now that the "poison " mulch was removed, the plants started to grow again. :cry: and now....since her theory was proven, that the mulch must in fact have been poisoned, her next move: she wanted us to remove all 8 yds of topsoil we put in, the previous spring. at a fee, would you continue at this point? so far, we have made a mint from this rocket scientist

Doc Pete
05-29-2005, 07:53 AM
yea, in other words, you just werent cutting it. i bet, if u never signed on again,

Bobby, I just thought I'd mention that I appreciate you adding my quotes to your handle at the bottom of your posts, incorrect as they are.

Imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery. However, just keep in mind, my cheap labor rate “a la Basking Ridge”, would still be called a kings ransom, down in the route 1 New Brunswick area.
Conversely, that’s why you were forced to buy some crummy, fixed deck, off brand machine from a poorly run dealership. :cool2: :cool2:

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 08:08 AM
originally quoted by part time pete:" i am pimping myself on someone elses timeclock, and cut grass because i'm so stupid, niether pays me well enough." pete, "kings ransom?" ha ha ha. funny petey, real funny. i'm not the one holding 2 jobs. i make money in my business, i don't need another job

BCSteel
05-29-2005, 09:48 AM

I thought it was kind of nice around here without the geddster.

Doc Pete
05-29-2005, 10:13 AM
. i'm not the one holding 2 jobs. i make money in my business, i don't need another job

It's OK Bobby, I understand. All guy's bad mouth the competition when they just can't compete..........
Again, don't worry, some day you'll have some nice equipment "and" the correct insurance that a professional should have.
Pete

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 01:08 PM
It's OK Bobby, I understand. All guy's bad mouth the competition when they just can't compete..........
Again, don't worry, some day you'll have some nice equipment "and" the correct insurance that a professional should have.
Pete
got it all pee on, ins, everything i need. and, i aint workin 2 jobs, like you. get your pest lic yet? or you still applying without one?

Doc Pete
05-29-2005, 01:45 PM
OK Bobby,
So let us in on what dopey customer/ crummy dealer/ bad mower/ ratty LCO or whatever, will "somehow choose you and only you", out of the clear blue sky, and cause you a problem.
Thanks,
Pete

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 02:06 PM
no problem here sonny, no problem here

sheshovel
05-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Whether or not this is a made up story,it's a good scenario of what one might encounter when working in this industry.So let's answer BobbyG..........
#1.
If the customer was informed (IN WRITING)that in your opinion.. the service you were about to provide for her at her request was detrimental to the overall health of her landscape,but that you will agree to perform the work but you will in no way be responsible for any problems that the work requested may produce.You have that paper signed and dated by both parties...then I would do the work for her and make her happy.
#2. She would not have had to call back about moving mulch away from the plants and tree's because that would have been already done had I done the work.
#3.If she then called back and insisted the mulch be removed ,I would remove it for her and charge accordingly.
This is not stealing
Client ignorance is common, if they have been informed,you should do the work with a clear conscience.
This is not lying,this is running a business honestly,some people just won't listen to common sense.
This is not taking advantage ,some people have more money than brains
Why should you throw a money making job to someone else she won't listen to either?Why would you walk away from money if you have done everything you can to inform her of the possible problems with her request?
I would do the work and charge her what I would charge anybody else.She would be treated as a new cust every time she called and with my paper in hand my butt is covered.And my money is in the bank.

sheshovel
05-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Whether or not this is a made up story,it's a good scenario of what one might encounter when working in this industry.So let's answer BobbyG..........
#1.
If the customer was informed (IN WRITING)that in your opinion.. the service you were about to provide for her at her request was detrimental to the overall health of her landscape,but that you will agree to perform the work but you will in no way be responsible for any problems that the work requested may produce.You have that paper signed and dated by both parties...then I would do the work for her and make her happy.
#2. She would not have had to call back about moving mulch away from the plants and tree's because that would have been already done had I done the work.
#3.If she then called back and insisted the mulch be removed ,I would remove it for her and charge accordingly.

This is not stealing
Client ignorance is common, if they have been informed,you should do the work with a clear conscience.
This is not lying,this is running a business honestly,some people just won't listen to common sense.
This is not taking advantage ,some people have more money than brains

Why should you throw a money making job to someone else she won't listen to either?Why would you walk away from money if you have done everything you can to inform her of the possible problems with her request?
#4.I would do the work and charge her what I would charge anybody else.
She would be treated as a new cust every time she called and with my paper in hand my butt is covered.And my money is in the bank....Sheshovel

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 04:28 PM
so, when you apply mulch, you leave a 5" bare ring around each plant? interesting, and extremely difficult when the beds are loaded with shrubs and grasses. ok, anyhow......this is how it unfolds: when she requested i remove all the topsoil, i told her that was the last straw, i'm not interested. she goes on to say, that her plants appear "sickly" and she thinks i am responsible, for using "poisonous mulch", and putting 3" of topsoil, and mulch around the plants. even though she insisted, after being told this was not proper, and we did, at her request, move the mulch back from the plants (which looked rediculous). furthermore, she had a 60 foot red maple, that had a couple of dead limbs at the top. she also claimed the leaves "didn't look right", and the tree appeared unhealthy. i told her she was a nutjob, and leave me alone. she called the extension office, and said, "my landscaper put 3" of topsoil, and 3" of poisonous mulch around my tree, and i think it's dying." the extension office said, "well, sure, if 3" of soil, and 3" of poisonous mulch were applied, it could be the cause." they recommended a tree specialist. she called and told me, that the specialist will be my responsibility to pay for, and any treatments needed, or ultimately, the removel of the tree, will be at my expense.

Turfdude
05-29-2005, 04:55 PM
What an anti-climatic ending! Couldn't you have gone on to say how you beat her over the head w/ a shovel, dug a hole, buried her, stripped out the 8 yards of topsoil and planted a scotch broom on top of the bed for the old witch?

BG is almost as humorous to us as Dr. Seuss is to my children.

Oh the stories I could tell... The thoughts I can think... 1 grass 2 grass green grass blue grass....

anyone want to add a few more??

BCSteel
05-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Ya, his make believe life is pretty lame :jester:

Adamma Landscape Group
05-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Bobbygedd,
I always enjoy your post. I act as a consultant when the customer hires me as a consultant. I act as a landscaper when they hire me as such.
When I meet a customer like this I will either bid the job high or walk away when I know that what I will do is not right.
In this woman's case she thinks that she knows landscaping more than you. That is why she did not listen to you. If I decide to do the job I would act dumb and just collect her money as she calls the shot.
What do you loose?

Doc Pete
05-29-2005, 06:40 PM
What an anti-climatic ending! Couldn't you have gone on to say how you beat her over the head w/ a shovel, dug a hole, buried her, stripped out the 8 yards of topsoil and planted a scotch broom on top of the bed for the old witch?

Oh the stories I could tell... The thoughts I can think... 1 grass 2 grass green grass blue grass....

Na..... I'm still laughing from your post. I love it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds more humor in Bobby's post, than reruns of "leave it to Beaver" :rolleyes: :p
Can you imagine if Bobby's adventures are actually true???
OK, here's one....
How many Bobbygedds does it take to mow a lawn??? Answer: only one, but the lawn has to "want" to be mowed! :dizzy:

bobbygedd
05-29-2005, 07:58 PM

yea...one lump two lumps three lumps......

kris
05-29-2005, 08:33 PM
I didnt read all the posts but to answer ...No I would not do it. We have enough work to be able to turn down problem customers.

Tell me this... you do something you know is not right that could harm the trees and plants ...Never mind that you have this or that signed..thats just bs..what is your companies reputation worth?

bobbygedd
05-30-2005, 07:14 AM
well, i hope you guys learned a lesson. i went against my better judgement, and accomodated this lady. we have now parted ways, and i don't know what the future holds. will she pursue the matter? who knows, i think yes. her plants are in perfect health. her red maple, does have a dead limb or two, but as i drive around and look, most big, old, red maples do have a couple dead limbs. at the very least it may cost me a few bucks, and alot of agrivation. i will never again do something that is inconsistant with my own practices.

rodfather
05-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Bobby

When I tell people "NO", I mean it. If they say, "what do you mean, no?" I look them stsraight in the face and say, "what part of no is it that you don't understand?" Period

Sorry to hear of all your aggrevation btw...

BCSteel
05-30-2005, 11:05 AM
at the very least it may cost me a few bucks, and alot of agrivation.

So you will pay when the arborists bill comes in then. Good for you. Take it on the chin like the trooper you are.

bobbygedd
05-30-2005, 12:04 PM
So you will pay when the arborists bill comes in then. Good for you. Take it on the chin like the trooper you are.
not a chance. but, i may have to pay an arborist, for my own defense

BCSteel
05-30-2005, 12:35 PM

Either way, you lose.

Remsen1
05-31-2005, 10:44 AM

Yah, cause when her arborist comes and says "these trees are fine", she'll say, "I don't care I want you to replace them, whatever the cost". or worse "Can you poison these trees for me? I want them dead before I cut them down. Cost is no object."

I don't think the problem was doing the work that you did, cause in my opinion it had no effect and will have no future effect on the good health of the landscape. It was unecessary, but not wrong. Kinda like if I went out and bought new tires for my truck when I've only got 5000 miles on the tires that I have. The problem with this case was the lady is just a total fruitcake and you were swayed to overlook that when you saw the dollar signs. I think this is a lesson the we can all learn from.

Maybe you should go collect some mulch and soil samples so you can prove later that it wasn't poisoned. Just a last minute thought.