PDA

View Full Version : is Red dyed mulch not compatible

reb1965
05-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I was thinking of placing Red Dyed mulch around my shrubs and flowers. Is it not compatible with any? Thanks.

lawnman_scott
05-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Most people areound here use it all the time around everything and no problems that I know of.

Groundcover Solutions
05-28-2005, 11:39 PM
It is compatible in the fact that it will not hurt your plants only the eyes of people who look at it. Red mulch dose not look natueral and the only place it belongs is at McDonalds... This however is my personal openion so take it as you will...

YardPro
05-29-2005, 06:55 AM
It is compatible in the fact that it will not hurt your plants only the eyes of people who look at it. Red mulch dose not look natueral and the only place it belongs is at McDonalds... This however is my personal openion so take it as you will...

i agree 150%

boy i hate the stuff

tacky, tacky, tacky, tacky

nocutting
05-29-2005, 11:38 AM
"What a way to ruin a nice landscape" :dizzy:

jt5019
05-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I agree but if thats what my customer wants thats what they get. The red mulch sells like crazy here.

SodKing
05-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I have noticed that the red/black dyed mulches stink to high heaven... Mostly I believe they are made from ground pallets and other waste wood.

Kate Butler
05-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Red mulch will stain your hands and clothes as you apply it. I refuse jobs to apply red mulch because it is such a ghastly color and clashes with so many flower colors. I don't want my business' name associated in any way with red mulch. Run from anyone who uses the words 'beautiful' and 'red mulch' in the same sentence.

Mulch is supposed to mimic soil, not pickled sausage.

WhohasHelios?
05-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Mulch is supposed to mimic soil, not pickled sausage.

MARRY ME KATE!

:p

I too would refuse any job where the client wanted dyed products. I take pride in the fact that I install products that are bio-available and beneficial to the soil.

jt5019
05-29-2005, 10:51 PM
you can send them my way.. i got a lot of mulch jobs that want the red and they love it.Only complaint is it doesnt hold the color very long.I may not like the stuff but money is money.

Kate Butler
05-30-2005, 08:12 AM
A huge part of my business is based on esthetics - it's got to be beautiful and classy, not garish. For the same reasons that I would not plant bright red flowers next to bright purple flowers (blooming at the same time) I won't use red mulch: it lowers the "appearance quality" of the job.

I have used black mulch. The stuff fades quickly to a beautiful dark, silver-gray (like REAL aged cedar bark, just darker). The client breeds champion black angus cattle and hosts the big regional stock sale every year - so black works for her. It's not gaudy or overwhelming and reinforces the "black angus" theme of her farm.

Guthrie&Co
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
if it isnt holding its color very long then it hasnt been dyed properly. i would switch suppliers.