PDA

View Full Version : work hours/local regulations

bigviclbi
05-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey guys just wondering what time you guys work/are allowed to work and what regulations are in place for pavers near you. We need a permit in all towns, one town is $150.00 for permit and engineer to look at plan, all towns we can't cut dry, and pavers, driveway, shed, house(non-permeable) must be only 75% of property. Hours we are supposed to work are 8-6. Of course we work about 13 hours 6 days a week and about 10 on sunday. Probably will have a meltdown but this is my third year and I can't even keep up with estimates/calls/work. Probably putting in about 100 hours easy.

mbella
05-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Vic, have you thought about a second crew?

kootoomootoo
05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
same hours ......walked in after 10pm a few nights this week...6-9 is average.
Planted annuals until 9 tonight...Unfortunately walking in the door isnt the end of the day..still have invoices to send, proposals to do, people to call, designs to do .....etc etc Hydroseeded in the dark 2 weeks ago..had the skid steer and truck lights on,
fertilized in the dark this week. I hired a guy 2 years ago with "25 years hardscape experience" paid him $16 per hour to start ......had him start a simple retaining wall...had to redo the entire days work because I guess he meant 25 minutes not years?..... Hence end of the two crew deal. Myself and two guys to this day.

YardPro
05-29-2005, 06:48 AM
same hours ......walked in after 10pm a few nights this week...6-9 is average.
Planted annuals until 9 tonight...Unfortunately walking in the door isnt the end of the day..still have invoices to send, proposals to do, people to call, designs to do .....etc etc Hydroseeded in the dark 2 weeks ago..had the skid steer and truck lights on,
fertilized in the dark this week. I hired a guy 2 years ago with "25 years hardscape experience" paid him $16 per hour to start ......had him start a simple retaining wall...had to redo the entire days work because I guess he meant 25 minutes not years?..... Hence end of the two crew deal. Myself and two guys to this day.

you have to dig through a l lot of coal to find a diamond....

don't give up on the two crew deal.... just look for the red flags when interviewing... ask a lot of specific questions....

also for a guy that has 25 years experience he works too cheap... for someone that experienced expect to pay $20.00 plus...

bigviclbi
05-29-2005, 09:41 AM
I am trying to do two seperate crews but usually it never goes as fast. I do alot of work on my island which is 18 miles long by about 4 blocks wide, so half the time we split up but I am going to need more equipment to truly have two seperate crews. I had so much work to do i.e. annual planting cleanups for the holiday weekend I think it will slow down soon(not really though.) I am starting to fall behind on paperwork and doing estimates, how many of you have accountants to add up receipts, payroll?