PDA

View Full Version : Older JD. with 14hp. Kohler blowing oil

rockytopp
05-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey gang. got me a problem, I have a tiller on the back and I was chewing up a friends garden patch and all of a sudden oil started to blow out of the breather plate down and under the carb. I guess it acts as a pvc does on a car, but how can it plug up? All there is in it is fiber filter type material. could it be commpresion geting into it some how? I was running fine and the next thing blowing oil, it runs out real good there is a type of louver on the plate that goes straight into the engin so it must be coming out of the crankcase, its got me bumfuzzeled for sure any help would be nice. this is an older JD. guessing about ten years old. but did not smoke or any thing.

Restrorob
05-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Hey gang. got me a problem, I have a tiller on the back and I was chewing up a friends garden patch and all of a sudden oil started to blow out of the breather plate down and under the carb. I guess it acts as a pvc does on a car, but how can it plug up? All there is in it is fiber filter type material. could it be commpresion geting into it some how? I was running fine and the next thing blowing oil, it runs out real good there is a type of louver on the plate that goes straight into the engin so it must be coming out of the crankcase, its got me bumfuzzeled for sure any help would be nice. this is an older JD. guessing about ten years old. but did not smoke or any thing.

If you start taking the breather assembly apart starting with the outside cover the last piece in the bottom is a breather reed it looks like a + sign with a hole in the middle,If this is distorted or broken it could cause the problem your having,Also check the oil return hole in the valve spring port on the engine for obstructions. Oh the Reed part# is 235047-S .

BTW While I'm here did you get your Kicking Tecumseh strightened out ?

rockytopp
05-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks much Restrorob.... I will do that in the morning, it has all the covers off now but I got side tracked. :)
Oh yes I got the kicker taken care of, again thank you, was nothing to fix once I know where to look, course there was some work involved, Just goes to show these old bones it is never to late to learn. again thanks, .
This is such a nice site for the people to get together and solve problems.. :angel: