PDA

View Full Version : Old Toro 8-25

John P
05-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Yesterday, a friend gave me an old Toro 8-25 ride-on mower. It had been in his garage for 10 years, never used. He said he couldn't ever get it started. He got it from his bro-in-law who had it laying outside for a few years before that.

Questions:

1) How can I tell what year this unit was produced?

2) Are manuals available for older models?

3) Where should i start in troubleshooting this machine? I'm good with taking things apart and sort-of good putting them back together. Just need a little guidance.

Ariensfan
05-29-2005, 04:10 PM
If you are looking for manuals, the Toro website may have some, but I don't know. It may be worth checking out. Otherwise, I see manuals for all sorts of mowers on ebay.

Restrorob
05-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Yesterday, a friend gave me an old Toro 8-25 ride-on mower. It had been in his garage for 10 years, never used. He said he couldn't ever get it started. He got it from his bro-in-law who had it laying outside for a few years before that.

Questions:

1) How can I tell what year this unit was produced?

2) Are manuals available for older models?

3) Where should i start in troubleshooting this machine? I'm good with taking things apart and sort-of good putting them back together. Just need a little guidance.

If this is a Briggs engine you have Model,Type and code numbers stamped in the flywheel cover above the spark plug. The first two digits of the code number is the year the engine was built but could have been put on the unit the following year in some cases. If you post these numbers that will tell us what engine we are dealing with to help you get her going again.
Just as a standard rule;
1- Compression test
2- Ignition test (spark)
3- Fuel (carb.)
As long as this unit has sat you will probably need to rebuild the carb. after you perform steps 1 & 2

John P
05-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look for the numbers first thing tomorrow. It's time for a little nap as I have to work tonight at 9pm EDT. The Postal Service never sleeps.......UGGHHHH!

John P
03-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Well......10 months later I finally get to look for the numbers.

I found a silver plate attached to the side of the engine. It has 3 lines of print.

700 025
Peerless
9013 2231

Above the spark plug is a stamped number:

TRXL 195 150217 SER 9018D (this last character may be a zero - didn't have my glasses with me)

On top of the engine it says PEERLESS DIV - TECUMSEH

This is what I found as far as numbers. The crankcase is full of oil, gas tank is empty. Air filter looks clean.

Is there a primer on this engine?

Metalmacguyver
03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
peerless is the transmission and gearmaking part of tecumseh. are you certain that these numbers are off of the engine cover? that little silver plate you found should have been on the tranny or transaxle.

Restrorob
03-30-2006, 10:15 PM
TRXL ?

This part of the engine number does not look right, Take a closer look.
This carb. has no primer, Since this is a Tecumseh engine and has sit this long do yourself a favor and replace the carb. with a new one. There is a check type valve in this carb. that can not be cleaned,Not even by soaking in carb. cleaner.

John P
03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
So.......I guess the best thing for me to do, at this point, is to bite the bullet and take it in to my local Toro dealer.

Restrorob
03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
That may be the best thing to do, BUT ask for a estimate for cost of repairs since this unit is soooo old.