PDA

View Full Version : Exmark TTHP (17hp Kaw) starts then dies....

khutch
05-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Took it to the dealer. Heard back the next day it was an "anti-backfire solenoid" (connects to carb)which he could order and replace or just disconnect. I went with the no charge route - disconnect.
$29.50 for labor. He was out when I picked it up, so I didn't get to argue that this should be a warranty issue on a 3 month old mower.
Am I right?
And anyone heard of an "anti-backfire solenoid" ?

Restrorob
05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Took it to the dealer. Heard back the next day it was an "anti-backfire solenoid" (connects to carb)which he could order and replace or just disconnect. I went with the no charge route - disconnect.
$29.50 for labor. He was out when I picked it up, so I didn't get to argue that this should be a warranty issue on a 3 month old mower.
Am I right?
And anyone heard of an "anti-backfire solenoid" ?

Yes there is such a thing. what it does is screws into the bottom of the carb. and shuts the fuel off going through the main jet,This keeps the engine from backfiring when shut down. When you turn the key on it retracts and lets the fuel flow through the main jet,When you turn the key off a spring inside pushes the end back out to plug the fuel flow through the main jet.
Simply unpluging it is just like having the key off.The only way they made your unit run without this plugged in is they took a pair of wire cutters and snipped the plunger off and reinstalled it. I have done this on non warranty units with the customers ok.
With your unit only 3 months old this solenoid should have been replaced under warranty with no charge to you,This solenoid is covered for the full term of the manufacturers warranty period.
If I were you I'd check my owners manual for a 800 number and call Kawasaki
about this poking you got on this deal,And print this reply to take to the dealer that did the poking.
As you can see I work with a Kawasaki Dealer.
Good Luck !

khutch
05-29-2005, 05:16 PM
So would you say this is also "No charge" for the labor?

Restrorob
05-29-2005, 05:25 PM
So would you say this is also "No charge" for the labor?

This should have been replaced under warranty with NO CHARGE to YOU !!!
No Money Out Of Your Pocket What So Ever !!!
Warranty WILL Pay For ALL Replacement Parts AND LABOR !!!

fixer67
05-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Briggs type anti-backfire solenoid