PDA

View Full Version : steps/ worse case

Frontier-Lawn
05-29-2005, 06:01 PM
ok i have to work on my free 36" scag to get it to start. i know i need a new battery. its been siting in the woods over grown with vines for 3 yrs. i has a new motor/ tranny. so what else do i have to do to it to make it start?

mkwl
05-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Change belts, grease zerks, clean deck and you should be all set.

Itsgottobegreen
05-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Dump the old gas out of it. Take the carb off. Remove the blow off the carbs and the needles. Clean everything with carb cleaner. Then put it back together the exact way you took it apart. Make sure the number of turns it took to take the needles out are the same when you put them back in.

Change the oil. This is a biggie. The oil doesn't go bad, its the additives in the oil that do.

battags
05-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Dont forget any electrical connections, wiring, or safety switches that may have rusted. Check them all out, clean them, and give them a squirt of electrical grease to keep the moisture out.

Brian

Frontier-Lawn
05-30-2005, 12:26 AM
were to buy a service manual?

smitdavi
05-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Check ebay, I think you'll find some there. If your looking for a free one, I'm not sure.

Frontier-Lawn
05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
ok i tryed to wigel it lose it wont budge. how do i pull it out of the woods

Itsgottobegreen
06-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Is it still sitting in the woods. Or did you bring it home already. If its still in the woods. Is it on the trailer. If it is hook it up to your truck and tow it away. If its on the ground. Get some rope and tow it out of the woods with your truck.

Lawn Masters
06-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Just hook a rope to it, hitch the rope to your trailer hitch, and pull it free, or better yet, get a chainsaw, cut the vines, and then drag it out after slashing a path through the vines. Also, I'd recommend putting new tires on it,or tubes if it has any in the tires. just to prevent any issues arising from dryrotting rubber. Also replace the rubber fuel lines if there are any. anything thats rubber and carries any pressure, replace it now or it'll cost you later.

battags
06-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I will be offering a grammar and punctuation instructional session, free of charge to LS members, later this week. Those of you who know you should enroll in this course of instruction, please sign up now. Those of you who have no idea that you come across as a bumbling 4th grade drop-out, I will take the time to send you a personal invitation to my seminar.

Thanks,
Brian

Frontier-Lawn
06-02-2005, 12:23 AM
well i pulled it out of the vines. took and cleaned it all off. i have rust holes it the mower deck now what. I'm using this pic i found on ebay to show were the holes are. look at the red boxes

lwcmattlifter
06-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Cut the rust out with an angle grinder and weld 3/16" plates over the holes.

Lawn Masters
06-02-2005, 01:50 AM
I will be offering a grammar and punctuation instructional session, free of charge to LS members, later this week. Those of you who know you should enroll in this course of instruction, please sign up now. Those of you who have no idea that you come across as a bumbling 4th grade drop-out, I will take the time to send you a personal invitation to my seminar.

Thanks,
Brian
Sorry if I cant make my grammar/punctuation perfect. In my defense, I was dead tired and getting a little sloppy.

as has already been said, cut the rust holes smooth around the edges, then weld some 3/16ths plates over the holes. Were it me, I'd go ahead and sandblast the deck and repaint the whole thing, make it look a little nicer and give it some protection from the elements.

battags
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
No, I'm the one that should be sorry. I usually don't come off like that on LS. I just had a long, miserable day. I realized that I couldn't take it out on my wife (because the couch sucks) so I took it out on you guys!

Sorry

B

Itsgottobegreen
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Take it to a local welding shop. Should cost you about $100 bucks to get them to fix it. Or make a road trip up here to maryland and I can weld it back together for you. :)

Lawn Masters
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
No, I'm the one that should be sorry. I usually don't come off like that on LS. I just had a long, miserable day. I realized that I couldn't take it out on my wife (because the couch sucks) so I took it out on you guys!

Sorry

B
Apology accepted. you actually did point out to me that I have a tendancy to use incorrect grammar and punctuation, thank you, now I have something about myself I can improve on.

Frontier-Lawn
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
just got the mower home. heres the motor part

Frontier-Lawn
06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
heres the deck

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 09:52 PM
In all honesty, you'd be better off looking for a used one.
That deck is shot and unsafe.
The money you will put into this mower would be better spent on a used machine that runs.

Frontier-Lawn
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
well i could take off the deck and use it as a attachment motor plate. (aerate, de-thatch, roller)

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 09:58 PM
well i could take off the deck and use it as a attachment motor plate. (aerate, de-thatch, roller)

True, if the motor will run. My guess is after three years, the motor is seized.

Frontier-Lawn
06-07-2005, 10:00 PM
hey its was free.
and it has a new motor and tranny.

Restrorob
06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
hey its was free.
and it has a new motor and tranny.

Had a new motor 3 years ago maybe !
Bet that cylinder is wasted after being in the woods that long and the carb. has to be trash also.
First thing I'd do is pull the head and check the cylinder and valves,Then drop the float bowl and check inside the carb.

Glenn J
06-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow! That deck is toasted! Did they run that thing on the road during the winter? <--- humor.

mkwl
06-08-2005, 05:04 PM
That mower is definitely ready for the scrap yard. Don't waste your time or money on it, the deck is definitely beyond repair. I'd pay you to take that thing away! :dizzy:

Itsgottobegreen
06-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I hate top scrap equipment. But that is a lost cause at this point. You would need an entire deck.

Frontier-Lawn
06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
just took off the belt lid. :D :D :D :D :D all rusted out and gaping holes

Itsgottobegreen
06-09-2005, 03:05 AM
I would assume that the salt in the air environment from the sea on 3 sides of you might have caused the rusting. Scrap the deck and keep the tractor part and the front caster. You might find a new deck or make a self propelled spreader out of it.

Anybody also see the Gecko on the carburetor. Well I think that what they call the mini lizards. :rolleyes:

topsites
06-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Dump the old gas out of it. Take the carb off. Remove the blow off the carbs and the needles. Clean everything with carb cleaner. Then put it back together the exact way you took it apart. Make sure the number of turns it took to take the needles out are the same when you put them back in.

Change the oil. This is a biggie. The oil doesn't go bad, its the additives in the oil that do.

I wouldn't so much fool with the carb other than take off the bowl and make sure all the old gas flows out and the float moves freely. But ditto on the carb cleaner, just spray it all off real good.
Fool with the carb or the jets and you might need a new carb (well you might need one anyhow, but I never have).