PDA

View Full Version : toro 21" proline tranny problem

yard sloth
05-30-2005, 03:10 PM
today my tranny went out on one of my toro/suzuki 21's. this is my first problem ever with a tranny or rear wheels on one of these. I always leave it in third and regulate the speed at the handle. I grease it regularly. it just quit self propelling and won't let the wheels roll backwards even with the belt very loose. any ideas on why this happened? or what to check? thanks :waving:

dutch1
05-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Before dealing with a transmission problem, pull both rear wheels and make sure you do not have something lodged between the drive gear and the wheel gear. It's possible that you have lost a keeper on the drive gear and the wheel is locked up, Are both sides affected?

Roger
05-30-2005, 11:18 PM
When the shifter lever is in any gear, pulling the mower in reverse will put rotation into the transmission. The drive pulley will spin backwards. When I take my machine off the trailer (pulling it backwards), I put the shifter to neutral (far right position). This will disengage the transmission.

What happens when you move the shifter lever to neutral? You don't say, but imply the powered forward direction works fine. Right? In all three gears? If the transmisison is working right in all forward gears, then the problem is probably in the wheels, as suggested above.

Have you been greasing the rear drive wheels regularly? You speak about greasing the transmission only. The transmission should have 2 shots of grease every 50(?) service hours. If you've been greasing it "regularly," meaning every day, then perhaps it has been overgreased, and have the case packed out with grease.

yard sloth
05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
thanks for the replies. I don't think I've overgreased it, probably 2 pumps per 25 hours of use, wheels too. the back wheels can roll forward freely, but not backwards at all. The gear selector is on third gear and won't budge. the pulley on top of the tranny will not turn either. I'll start some dissasembly on it to find the gremlins soon.