PDA

View Full Version : 16 kohler, fouling plug

BCSteel
05-30-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a 16 hp kohler command on my '01 walker and it is constantly fouling the front plug while the rear remains in mint condition. Whats going on here? It also likes to blow a little blue smoke on start up nearly every time, cold, warm or hot.

Thank you for any input.

Restrorob
05-30-2005, 09:25 PM
I have a 16 hp kohler command on my '01 walker and it is constantly fouling the front plug while the rear remains in mint condition. Whats going on here? It also likes to blow a little blue smoke on start up nearly every time, cold, warm or hot.

Thank you for any input.

You could have a blown head gasket between the oil return port and cylinder,Kohler has had a head gasket issue for a few years now,They also had a problem with the crankcase breather and the breather reed. The best test for a blown gasket is a cylinder leak-down test,The other two have no test its a tear-down inspection deal.
If you post Model and Spec. Numbers I'll double check the service bulletins for this engine.

BCSteel
05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Ok, I'll get back with the #'s

Thanks.

I dont know where to look for the #'s on the engine but in the owners manual I came up with Kohler 16S, Spec # 52518

Restrorob
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Ok, I'll get back with the #'s

Thanks.

I dont know where to look for the #'s on the engine but in the owners manual I came up with Kohler 16S, Spec # 52518

Ok at the time I posted I didn't know this was a OHC engine,I checked all service bulletins and none pertained to your problem,If it was the breather reed both cylinders would have dirty fouled plugs. I havn't had the opportunity to perform any repairs on the OHC engines as of yet,So about the only thing I can suggest is the cylinder leak-down test to find out the condition of the rings. There is one other thing,Possibly valve stem seals.

SORRY I'm not of more help to You !
This is one I would have to put my hands on to Diagnose Myself.

BCSteel
05-31-2005, 07:19 PM
I dont know squat about engines. Would it be worth it to fix either of those problems? As of now that engine has about 1000hrs on it with oil/filter changes at about every 50 hrs or so. If I recall corectly, I noticed the problem fairly early in its life, probably around hr 250 or so. I was considering up grading to a 20hp kohler as well.

Thanks again.

Restrorob
05-31-2005, 09:49 PM
I dont know squat about engines. Would it be worth it to fix either of those problems? As of now that engine has about 1000hrs on it with oil/filter changes at about every 50 hrs or so. If I recall corectly, I noticed the problem fairly early in its life, probably around hr 250 or so. I was considering up grading to a 20hp kohler as well.

Thanks again.

Well If somebody opened this engine for worn rings the right way to do it is rebuild the whole thing,Since you don't know squat about engines the labor alone for a job like this could be quite heffty. If you were thinking of repowering with a 20hp this would be the time instead of fixing the 16hp.
If you can measure the diameter and length of your crankshaft you may be able to find a replacement 20hp here. www.smallenginewarehouse.com