PDA

View Full Version : Harley Rake Question

knuckles
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I have an just over 1.5 acres that I need to grade, seed and straw, its all new topsoil that was brought in to satisfy local soil conservation agency so it will be fairly easy to work with. Problem is the site owner was getting hounded last year by soil conservation about erosion so he covered the entire site with straw only, question is do I need to get the old straw off before grading, or will the harley rake pulverize the old straw enough ? My plan was to use a landscape rake to scrape old crap away then a gill rake ( soil pulverizer) on a tractor. I have several years of exp using a tractor with a three pt hitch but only a few times using the harley? Sorry for the long winded description but one last question, can the old straw be used over ? (its been down since last fall). Owner wants to cut any corner he can. Imagine that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

Green Pastures
05-31-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that the old straw will break up under the Harley Rake.

olderthandirt
05-31-2005, 12:23 AM
I have an just over 1.5 acres that I need to grade, seed and straw, its all new topsoil that was brought in to satisfy local soil conservation agency so it will be fairly easy to work with. Problem is the site owner was getting hounded last year by soil conservation about erosion so he covered the entire site with straw only, question is do I need to get the old straw off before grading, or will the harley rake pulverize the old straw enough ? My plan was to use a landscape rake to scrape old crap away then a gill rake ( soil pulverizer) on a tractor. I have several years of exp using a tractor with a three pt hitch but only a few times using the harley? Sorry for the long winded description but one last question, can the old straw be used over ? (its been down since last fall). Owner wants to cut any corner he can. Imagine that. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. :confused:
You have the right idea, rake it off with the trac first it will take to long with a harly rake, skip the pulverizer if its topsoil and then use the harly rake to work up the soil. Scrap the old straw, and blow on some new.

SWD
05-31-2005, 08:04 AM
I have been running a HArley rake, a T-5 for over four years now - don't worry about the straw.
Set the rake for your desired grade, and operate away.
Some of the straw may build up in front of the implement, yet not enough to warrant an extra step to removing all of it prior to using the harley rake.
Straw that has begun to weather and break down isn't really effective to be reused.
Once the raking is done, apply new straw.

knuckles
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
I know this may be a stupid question but.. If I can remember from last July, (last time I used a harley) The harley rake itself goes in foward and reverse, Is that simply, go foward when going foward in the skid steer and reverse when going backwards. What is the correct way, or is it whichever works best for that particular situation. Thanks for all the info. Stan

SWD
06-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Depending upon the layout of the area, I would windrow the grading first.
Then remove the windrows, and run a second, faster, much more shallow finish grade.
The rake will bounce, often excessively, if operated in reverse, and might cause a ripple effect.
Are you able to turn at the end of each pass?
These points aside, yes-it really is simple to operate.

Green Pastures
06-01-2005, 09:30 AM
My Harley rake has a provision to reverse the rotation of the studded drum from in the cab of my Cat. This makes going in reverse smooth as glass. There is no bouncing.