PDA

View Full Version : edging driveways

curren
05-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have any tips on edging driveways that the ground has overgrown onto for a very long time. It's pretty thick, and it's hard to tell were the edge of the driveway is. I'm afraid of damaging my blade. I am new to the business and have never encountered this before. Any help would be great.

Precision
05-31-2005, 10:18 AM
run the edger (stick type) at half throttle and skim the known area of driveway working your way to the drop off. Then wear your way down into the crack then make a 2 ft pass forward then drag backwards over those same 2 ft.

Repeat until driveway is finished. Then use a spade and trashcan to get rid of trimmings.

Use your line trimmer to trim up any stragglers.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY

Charge accordingly. This is not to be considered normal maintenance. Charge them a clean up fee. Estimate between $45-$75 per hour and give them a fee. If you think it will take 2 hours then tell them $90 or $120 or $150 or whatever. DO NOT quote them an hourly fee. Quote a $ amount for completed service.

txlawnking
05-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Use wide open throttle Curren, blades are cheap ( BTW, use a 4 edged, or "star" type blade they are the best ) and easy to replace.

If you're using an edger that "pulls" itself along, I mean one that's blade turns in the direction of travel ( most do nowa days ). Then move backwards with the edger, if the edger you've got is a stick type. It makes it much easier.

Also, like was said, charge extra.. BTW I like keeping a very powerful W/B edger around just for this very reason, as there is no replacement for power in this situation..

NickN
05-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Also,bring along a hand spade and some knee pads.Use the spade to scoop up the soil/grass that has overgrown.If it's bermuda or another type of running grass,it will have rooted in the soil on the drive.Carry something to throw the debris in while doing cleanup.