PDA

View Full Version : which hydro 52 walk behind? SCAG, EXMARK, OTHER?

clydesdale
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
My scag belt has worked for 17 years and i still use it 2 days a week. I plan on moving up to a hydro. I scag still the best built most reliable best cutting machine? Or is there a new top dog? Guide me. Thanks

RobH
05-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Scag and Exmark both make great machines.

I own a Scag w/b and I love it. My first Scag was a belt and now I own a hydro and would never go back.

More importantly, you really want good dealer support. There are a tons of threads on what machine is the best. However, the one thing that most guys here will agree on is dealer support and how it is VERY important down the road.

Good luck with your purchase.

MTR
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Stander 52"/23 or 25 hp
eXmark 52"TTHP/ 19 hp
One mower does it all,loaded on 5x8 trailer and you can take on any kind of lawn or hill.

rodfather
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
All of our Ferris WB's have been extremely reliable for the past 11 years...I have absolutely no complaints at all.

Watkinslawnservice
05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
More importantly, you really want good dealer support. There are a tons of threads on what machine is the best. However, the one thing that most guys here will agree on is dealer support and how it is VERY important down the road.

This is the 1st thing I would look for. They all make good machines or they wouldn't still be in business.

The 2nd thing I would look at is the operating system. Check them all out and see which one you personally like best. Some like pistol grips, some like ECS, and some like the T-bar or whatever else there is out there.

I personally put in my vote for a stander of any sort. Wright, Dane, or Deere. But thats my opinion.

jsaunders
05-31-2005, 09:01 PM
hustler- a very good machine 54'' 25 hp
I didn't like the wright stander- clipping dispursol was very bad

clydesdale
06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
what about toro? I thought scag was far superior, but you guys on here dont seem to rave about scag. What is the deal with scag these days?

clydesdale
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
no comments?

Jpocket
06-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I think Scag makes the best walkbehind out there... I wish I still had one I traded my out SW 52" on a new Lazer.

Del9175
06-03-2005, 05:45 PM
The only scag experience I have is with a couple used walkbehinds. I loved them for 4 of the 5 years I had them, then I started to hate them. They were just getting old.

I would get a stander if I were you. After owning one I see no reason for a walkbehind. I take my stander places I never took a walkbehind.

MTR
06-04-2005, 02:33 AM
The only scag experience I have is with a couple used walkbehinds. I loved them for 4 of the 5 years I had them, then I started to hate them. They were just getting old.

I would get a stander if I were you. After owning one I see no reason for a walkbehind. I take my stander places I never took a walkbehind.

like what places? Please elaborate more if you don't mind. I currently run 52" TTHP as my primary, it goes everywhere and makes my biz good, but at end of year I might get a 52" Super mini or a 52" Stander, so I am trying to justify the purchase and the long-term benefits of owning a Z or Stander.

ITL
06-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I am starting to believe that MTR has the rignt direction. I am considering the two options MTR has presented to be able to cover many small to mid size properties. The only difference is that I would likely move up in horsepower with his eXmark choice for the heavy spring grass.

Wayne

Stander 52"/23 or 25 hp
eXmark 52"TTHP/ 19 hp
One mower does it all,loaded on 5x8 trailer and you can take on any kind of lawn or hill.

khutch
06-04-2005, 04:08 PM
My TurfTracer w/ProSlide is a stander and walkbehind in one.....

Mark McC
06-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a TTHP 52/19 and it mows like a champ. The Proslide on the back is great, too, but it does slow the mower down going up even modest grades. The ECS is great, but I've never handled a hydro machine with pistol grips, so I cannot compare the two.

The only other mower I've used (other than 21s) is an eXmark Metro 36, which has pistol grips, but it also has belt drives. Great mowing machine but gave me tendinitis last year.

Overall a superb purchase for my route, which includes a lot of low-acreage lots and a substantial number of lots that are simply too hilly for any kind of riding machine. Do I recommend it for routes with many lots that run 1/2 an acre and larger, are flat and have few gated back yards? Nope. That's ZTR territory.

gravedigger5
06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Their all good but I perfer my Toro 54", I mean 36"+18" Goes through Gates like a 36" but mows 54" Marc