PDA

View Full Version : Secret Organic Fertilizer Formulas!!!

ITRY
05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
My company historically has done only synthetic fertilizer applications for lawn care. However, in the last 2-3 years I have been using only Ringer fertilizer on my yard (2-3 apps. / yr) with decent results. I keep hearing that products obtained from the feed store work just as well. However, I am in the dark about which products to use (ie. blood meal, alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, wheat bran, cracked corn, molasses, etc...). Also, I'm not a farmer, so are these materials really readily available at my local feed store. So what are some of the homemade formulations that seem to work well for you guys? I don't however want to dispell anyone's secret formulas! This is something that I would try on my own yard for 2-3 years before ever offering it commercially.

dishboy
05-31-2005, 09:38 PM
My company historically has done only synthetic fertilizer applications for lawn care. However, in the last 2-3 years I have been using only Ringer fertilizer on my yard (2-3 apps. / yr) with decent results. I keep hearing that products obtained from the feed store work just as well. However, I am in the dark about which products to use (ie. blood meal, alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, wheat bran, cracked corn, molasses, etc...). Also, I'm not a farmer, so are these materials really readily available at my local feed store. So what are some of the homemade formulations that seem to work well for you guys? I don't however want to dispell anyone's secret formulas! This is something that I would try on my own yard for 2-3 years before ever offering it commercially.

Yes they work very well. Getting them to pass through a broadcast spreader in the right size pellet is the problem, but with some research and time spent with a knowledgeable millwright this can be resolved :)

Lawn Sharks
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
get 50 lb bags of cornmeal from the feedstore and put it down at 15-20lbs/1000sf and let us know in three months how good the lawn looks. Never have to worry about it burning and it acts as a natural fungicide as well.

I also put the alfalfa pellets out with a rotary spreader with no problem. I do it just before it rains and it causes the pellets to fall apart and keeps the rabbits and rodents from feasting on it.

I had a relationship with the local feed store that if they had water damaged bags or old feed I could get it for real cheap or free. Lawn doesn't care.

ndunn
06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Cracked corn and alfalfa pellets at the rates stated above. Not really a secret formula. The secret formula crowd, from what I can tell, tends to use compost teas and spray applications. But that's more of a pain in the butt for me than it's worth. Haven't had any problem getting pellets to broadcast either. For a good intro guide check out some Rodale press books. If you've used chem. ferts for years you may also want to check out your soil before you come up with a specific program. You can use soybean meal or corn gluten meal if you must have that green burst similar to the chem. ferts.

If the soil is healthy, it will work.

ITRY
06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

ITRY
06-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Are there any other things that are working for anybody else?

FLD
06-10-2005, 06:23 AM
We use teas mostly. The seem to work pretty well for us and it is a lot easier to carry around. A 275 gal tank and a sprayer doesn't take up that much room and you can treat a min of 5 ac with it.

out till dark
06-15-2005, 01:44 AM
I use sustane and i really like it alot

woodycrest
06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
how about over seeding with clover?

HK45Mark23
06-17-2005, 01:37 AM
How do you get rid of clover and other weeds using an organic means? Do you take a soil sample and use lime, sulfur and or pot ash? Is using these products still a means of controlling soil ph organically? I have gotten conflicting information.

nocutting
06-17-2005, 03:40 AM
How do you get rid of clover and other weeds using an organic means? Do you take a soil sample and use lime, sulfur and or pot ash? Is using these products still a means of controlling soil ph organically? I have gotten conflicting information.
Hi, soil testing is key with any new to you client?.....Lime and sulfur if in there original state are surely organic.....What does "Clover" tell you about the present soil condition?[ if it hasnt been seeded in clover recently?].....A heavy dose of fish emulsion should clear that up very quickly [ you tell me why?].................I'll be waitin for your answer......... :)

woodycrest
06-17-2005, 07:15 AM
i dont consider clover to be a 'weed'.

HK45Mark23
06-18-2005, 05:25 AM
OK I have spent all day (maybe around 13 hours) on line learning about corn mean, corn gluten meal, blood meal, alfalfa pellets, molasses, fish emulsion, activated carbon, vinegar, orange oil, zeolite, glauconite, lava sand, mosquito dunks and a some form of surfactant (for me Shaklee Basic H).

I think the answer to the question you posed is the Nitrogen level and release method of the fish emulsion. I know that Clover is at home in nitrogen poor soil and extracts its nitrogen from the air. So where the soil is nitrogen poor the grass is in distress and the clover is healthy. The fish emulsion has a herd of microbial and trace minerals that can reestablish a proper balance of organic activity in the soil.

I also spent a few hours on the phone trying to track some of this down locally and well not so locally. I did find corn gluten meal for $360.00 a ton at a mill in Il. Also, I did find online suppliers for every thing.

So am I on the right track, or did I miss the point?

HK45Mark23
06-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi, soil testing is key with any new to you client?.....Lime and sulfur if in there original state are surely organic.....What does "Clover" tell you about the present soil condition?[ if it hasnt been seeded in clover recently?].....A heavy dose of fish emulsion should clear that up very quickly [ you tell me why?].................I'll be waitin for your answer......... :)

Well Nocutting,

I have responded and am waiting for your critique. I was tired when I posted and know that there is a lot more to this organic approach. Will you please steer me towards a book or set of books that explains organic yard care, organic products, organic diagnoses and treatments. I really am new to this concept. I am very interested in providing this type of service in my aria and am glad to have a resource such as Lawn Site organic forum and the experience of people like you to direct me and for me to have as mentors. Thanks

nocutting
09-26-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi, you did alot of reserch in a short time.....have you tried anything yourself?.....Rodale Press has a lot of great books, even the ones on vegtable gardening will be very useful.........Just avoid Paul Sachs, he makes a verrrry expensive product for retail [ I know him, had him as key note at a few seminars].....hes all about the cash........Do you use IPM / or OPM practices?......lets say you see the moths of the sod webworm?.........I usally time my next nematode release about 10-14 days after seein them..........Whats the benifit to useing AG grade feeds instead of commercially avalible organic fertilizers / or pre-emergent [ corn gluten].....1st they cost less.............2nd.......you now calibrate your spreader [ drop the spinner, walk off 125 ft x 8 ft width, put a catch pan to collect what falls out, weigh] ahhhhh now you are calibrated......walaaaaaa.........3, if you arent a card carryin certified pest. applicator........you now make all Supplemental Neutrient Apps. with many other benificial results?......hey, you can e-me direct if you'd like?.....sometimes I have a biz to look after and dont come around to much? :waving: :cool2: :alien: Regards

naturesdesign
09-26-2005, 12:18 PM
i dont consider clover to be a 'weed'.
Im glad you do not consider clover as a weed but some do. So what part of Ontario are you from by the way????? maybe we can pass info to each other.

Yard
03-20-2006, 03:01 PM
..........Whats the benifit to useing AG grade feeds instead of commercially avalible organic fertilizers / or pre-emergent [ corn gluten].....1st they cost less.............2nd.......you now calibrate your spreader [ drop the spinner, walk off 125 ft x 8 ft width, put a catch pan to collect what falls out, weigh] ahhhhh now you are calibrated......walaaaaaa.........3, if you arent a card carryin certified pest. applicator........you now make all Supplemental Neutrient Apps. with many other benificial results?.......

nocutting- Have you had the same results using cracked corn or ag corn gluten feed as opposed to using commercially available CG? Any problem spreading them?