PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 36 w/b v. Toro 36 w/b

dirt digger
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
I am looking at the GS 30 or GS 45 John Deere 36 w/b and the Toro 36 w/b. I have never operated either one these mowers and am inquiring about opinions of these two machines. I do mulch most of the time and want a machine the mulches well. I have heard concerns that the Toro does not mulch well, but I have no personal experience with Toro's. These are the only two dealers in my area in which I mow, and do know the JD dealer has great service. I have talked to the Toro dealer but have never had to use their services.

mkwl
05-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Toro is definitely your best choice! I have a Toro Proline 36" belt drive WB mower w/13 HP V-Twin Kawasaki engine, and I love it! It has a fantastic cut and stripe!!! I'm not really sure about mulching, since I only bag and discharge. My grandfather has JD 48" WB, and he dislikes it because it gives a rather poor cut and has no stripe at all. He doesen't mulch either, so I'm not sure about JD mulching. If you're looking for a great cut and stripe, very well built commercial mower, Toro Proline is your mower!

Mountain Peak
05-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Now I have a GS-30 36 inch JD and love it. It is a pistol grip, which has made my hands really strong this year. I have received many positive comments on the striping and with the mulch kit I can power through most thick growth without a second pass.

I'm sure the Toro is a very nice mower and I almost bought one this year. The big push to the JD for me was the dealer, he's only a couple miles away and is a really nice guy.

I have no regrets with the mower and would buy it again.

South Florida Lawns
05-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Look good great customer help fast at anwsering qustions about my machine.

fairwayCuts
06-01-2005, 12:35 AM
I've run the gs30 for 2 years now and been quite happy with it. Although I must say I was not impressed with the mulching kit. I could have been running it in to high of grass or too wet, but I still think it should have done better. The machine is super reliable and durable as hell though. If I were to buy another WB though I would definatly get something with a floating deck and something thats easier to change the deck height.

dirt digger
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Thank you for the comments. I appreciate the info.

wrestlingcoach
06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I own a GS-25 fixed deck 36" John Deer and several Toros (32,44,52" all floating)

The JD is built like a tank it can go through thicker and taller stuff than any of my toros or anything else I have

BUT my JD has timing blades so if you hit something like I've done then all of the sudden the timing is off blades hit, Fubar the blades, then the chance of the timing belt breaking, Still then you have to retime the blades and most likely replace the blades

Pistol gripes, I just don't like if you use them all day - sore arm

I like the toro's better for an already maintained yard , T-bar is easy on the hands - any woman can drive them

yz250fpilot
06-02-2005, 02:08 PM
My Toro Proline 36 with mulch kit does a fantastic job on all grasses from fescue to bermuda to zoysia. It gets the clippings down to very fine particles and leaves a great cut. I never take the kit off.

LawnBrother
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Toro! Toro! Toro!

geogunn
06-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I can't keep deere model numbers straight so I dunno if it's the same unit but I tested a deer gear drive 38 in. cut and I hated it.

I hated everything about it. and one of the things I hated the worst was the goofey OPC levers.

but that is just my opinion. everyone else may be thrilled with them.

GEO