PDA

View Full Version : All Of A Sudden (I Love Mowing)

No Lawncares
05-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Well guys I'm gonna try to make this short and sweet. I started my business last year, it was me and my buddy. We paid for all our equipment with cash that we had saved up. After 1 year my buddy decided we were'nt making enough money so he got out. I will say 1st year was a little hard because we didn't really know how to bid, and many times we came low and got the account. Year 2 starts up and I really wasn't feeling like this was in my future, so I got rid of all my accounts but 5 (figured hey extra money would be nice). Well here we are 2 months in and I am picking up accounts left and right (high bids at that). I think this is MY year to make this work on my own.

ChadA
05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Sounds like things are off to a good start. Good luck with your solo op.

LawnBoy89
05-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Nice man, this is my first year too, keep up the good work. Do you do mostly residential or commercial?

HighGrass
05-31-2005, 10:58 PM
My third year. There does seem a point where it all just seems to start coming together. It's happening now with me. My biggest problem was letting some folks control situations that I should have definetly had control in.

The biggest hurdle I overcame was no more mowing every tens days or every other week or every other bla bla bla. Now I tell them that it's a 7 day service plan period and then I explain why.

Now everything is easier and I love getting up having a coffee in the truck riding to that first account and working till dinner.

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Things can and will turn on a dime. Maybe you've paid your dues and it's your time. I remember some down times when I questioned why I was doing this and then I thought about the corporate culture and someone else deciding how much money I was worth, etc...
I love getting dirty and sweaty. I also love a job well done.
There's more satisfaction in this than anything I've ever done.

I've built houses.
I was a mainframe computer operator.
I was a commercial exterminator for 2 different international companies.
I've worked in retail at the management level.

I wish I had gotten started with this when I was younger. I have been thinking about it since I left the Air Force in '80.
I'm here now and I finally feel satisfied and free.

Green Pastures
06-01-2005, 09:02 AM
That's my biggest problem. I love being on a mower, I really like to cut grass.

It's what's makes it difficult to see my business from another perspective.

I need to let go and allow other people to be responsible for more of the working end of the business and get more involved with the sales and development end of the business.

:blush: