PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Service????

tacoma200
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
My wheel motor developed small leak after 100+ hours so I called my dealer and they said rush it up ther they would need to look at it right away. So I quit mowing and rushed it up there. I told the guy who wasn't listening very well to also greese all fittings. The phone would ring and nobody would answer while I was there, so that let me know why it took a dozen times to get thru on the phone. I called several times to get an estimate on about when it would be worked on but never could get a strait answer. After a week I wrote the manager a email telling him about my disatisfaction with the service. He said he had been sick and the employees were not at there best when he was not around. He was very nice about it. He gave me a loaner after a week.(Dixie Chopper) He phoned me and said the bearing didn't look good so they ordered a wheel motor kit. Glad he found that. The small Dixie Chopper broke down after 1.5 hours (new) so I had to do some rigging to keep it going but I was able to finish my accounts.
Any way my biggest complaint is that this all took 2 weeks while I mowed with a much smaller mower the second week. He said they didn't know I was a comercial mower or the would have given me a loaner the first week. I could not get a strait answer as to about when it would be worked on. Oh yea they forgot to greese it. Am I expecting too much from a dealer????

Travis Followell
05-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I also live in Ky and i'm just curious to know what dealer your dealing with?

tacoma200
05-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I also live in Ky and i'm just curious to know what dealer your dealing with?
I don't want to embarass the dealer but its in Somerset. When I take a mower in I just like to have some comunications so I'll know when I can get back to my customers. I know this time of year is very busy for the lawn care service dept. But a business that lets the phone ring off the hook and can never give you an estimate on repair times is not what it talks about on the Exmark web site. I belive the manager is a nice guy but mabe they are understaffed. I asked for a full grease job which he did for free since he forgot to do it but the mechanic didn't know how to greese the front wheel bearing so I've still got to do that. I am a very understanding person I just want good comunications from my dealer and ballpark figures on when I'll be going again. The Dixie chopper loaner was new but only a 44 inch cut, belt spring broke after 1.5 hours and I used a bungee cord to finish my jobs. No offense to Dixie owners just a bad spring.

lawnman_scott
05-31-2005, 11:15 PM
You are asking too much if you want a dealer that can do this right and efficient. You are better off to learn to fix your things yourself. Its all pretty basic stuff.

tacoma200
06-01-2005, 12:31 AM
You are asking too much if you want a dealer that can do this right and efficient. You are better off to learn to fix your things yourself. Its all pretty basic stuff.
I should learn to grease the front wheels, doesn't seem too bad by looking at the instructions exept you have to replace the seals it says. As far as wheel motors go I think I'll leave that to them. I'm not experienced with hydraulics and don't understand completely how the pump, motor etc. works or is installed.

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
He didn't know you were commercial? Did you buy the mower from him?

tacoma200
06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
He didn't know you were commercial? Did you buy the mower from him?

Yes I bought it from him and during the sales pitch they told me how fast they service Exmarks and tried to have you back in service in a couple of days. So I bought it on the spot at a good deal, sold my old mower. Exmarks website makes you feel like you really get the attention of the service dept. and thats what seperates them from other companies. It had been 13 months since I had bought the mower so I guess they can't remember every customer. They sell so many brands and so much equipment I can see why they have a hard time keeping up. They sell Cub Cadet, Dixie Chopper, Husky, etc. plus 4 wheelers and so on. If your a buyer you can't keep them off of you but if you need service you get in line and wait while the service man is ignoring the phone ringing and they are yelling at each other to get the phone. I looked the service man right in the eye and told him to be sure to give it a full grease job because I may have missed something when I greased it. I could tell he was not paying attention so when I talked to the service manager about a week later I told him about the greese job and he forgot also. They did greese it for free since they forgot but didn't know how to greese the front wheels. I like Exmark but thinking of going to a differnet brand, maybe a smaller dealer that is not covered up with service work and can give some idividual attention. Like I said maybe I'm asking for too much.

kc2006
06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Your not asking too much, your asking them to do their jobs. Around here that would be done after a few hours of the part arriving if they don't have it in stock. When purchasing a mower the dealer is just as important as the mower's performance. If you go with a dealer that can't help you and take care of you then its no good.

I prefer the smaller dealers, like the local exmark dealer is just 3 guys there and they normally get the commercial equipment fixed same day. I'm going to be buying a hustler though at the end of the season and I've been checking that dealer out a few times, they seem pretty good, it's a more commercial large facility place but they seem to get stuff done quick and they give loaners if your equipment isn't fixed by the next day.

Turf Technologies
06-01-2005, 07:23 PM
You dont know how to grease your machine? Thats one of the easiest things to do.

Sweetwater
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Dealer is hurtin' and Exmark is not to blame, but they'd be chapped if you sent them a copy of this. Exmark is the only make I have ever been satisfied with and my dealer backs their sales as strong as Exmark backs their mowers. Gues I am lucky to have good dealer. Just imagine what life would be like if your primary mower was a POS and always breaking? To remedy down time I keep 52" Turf Tracer close at hand.

tacoma200
06-01-2005, 07:47 PM
You dont know how to grease your machine? Thats one of the easiest things to do.
Yes I know how exept fot the front wheels. It says you have to replace the seals so I figured let them do it since I havn't done it before and they had it in there working on the wheel motor so why not let them greese it and get the seals put in all at the same time. If I watched someone do it one time I would know how but they are 40 miles away and if I get it broke down and something goes wrong or I have the wrong part thats an 80 mile round trip to go back to the dealer. Easier just to let them do it while it was there. Like I said the mechanic was looking for a greese fitting on the wheel and there isn't one. You have to take it apart (I'm speaking of the front wheels).
Anyway your missing my main point about the service. 2 weeks to replace a wheel motor with no one to give me an estimate on how long it would take. I called Exmark Customer Support group and they were very helpful. I asked them numerous questions and I think the guy knew each model from front to back. They were exellent and told me of any problems they had with different models and what to expect in the future. I asked about the EFI engines and he plainly told me that some early models had problems and what they were doing to work them out. Same about differnet wheel motors and how they were improving them and how they kept in touch with manufaturers to improve each component. I'm very impressed with Exmark, just not my dealer. They jump on you if you a buyer but you take a number and wait in line if you need service (then your lucky if they listen) Thats not up to Exmark standards.

clay duncan
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
i have a walker mower that took a dump on me 5 weeks ago today. the mechanic told me one week to fix. when i call over there they are short with me and everyone says something different than the last guy. the dealer did give me a demo walkbehind so i cant complain too much.....