PDA

View Full Version : How Can This Guy be Making any Money ?

Fareway Lawncare
05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Mowing a Large Wide Open eXpanse of Turf with What looks to be a 44" Toro Belt Drive w/No Riding Attachment ?

If we Were Cutting this w/That Equip. it Would be for a Loss....Prices Must be Good Somewhere !

Aussie Topcat
05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
At the end of the day you gotta start somewhere!

Maybe just early days for the guy!

Maybe he's just minding his overheads....

You should have stopped & asked him?

Mo Green
05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Maybe his bigger mower, possibly a 60" ZTR, is in the shop, and he is using his back up mower.

Or maybe not........

ChadA
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Or maybe he's making more than you think on this job and he's doing just fine.

Lux Lawn
05-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Maybe he likes the exercise & just choose's to walk.

Kickin Your Grass
05-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Maybe it had been raining all week and he didnt want to get the rider out.

gwwilson
05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
bobby gedd from new jerky
has 2 of them and his are smaller still.................
encore paid $1,000 & red hawkett paid approx $3995

Gibs
05-31-2005, 08:54 PM
i'll show you guys some properties i do that are way larger than that guys and all i use is my 44" toro wb... i'll show ya some tommrow

proenterprises
05-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Maybe thats you Calvin, and you just wanted to show us you finally got your walkbehind up the stairs.

Howard Roark
05-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe he's the property owner and works 3 hrs. a week cutting his property.

Fareway Lawncare
05-31-2005, 08:58 PM
The Poor Kid should At Least Purchase a Velke...They're Only a Couple Hundred and it Would Quadrouble his Production..

I'm Taking up a Collection to Help the Unwashed...PM me if you Want to Donate.

green-go
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
A velky would quadruple his production? :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a property alot larger than that that I presently mow with a 36 (no velky), or sometimes my old 48 WB. And it is still plenty profitable. Sure, I'd rather mow it with a $8000 60" ZTR, but I don't have 8k laying around at the moment. In the meantime I'll mow it with my present equipment making money while you drive around taking pics of people. :waving:

vipermanz
05-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe thats you Calvin, and you just wanted to show us you finally got your walkbehind up the stairs.
:D :D :D :D :D

scottishmaximus
05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
I really didn't want to post on this naive thread but....maybe he's getting paid by the hour.

HighGrass
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
I wish i had time to go around and take pictures of other people mowing. I can't. Know why? Because if I do, the only person in the picture that's mak :cool: ing any money is the guy mowing. Get the picture?

proenterprises
05-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I wish i had time to go around and take pictures of other people mowing. I can't. Know why? Because if I do, the only person in the picture that's mak :cool: ing any money is the guy mowing. Get the picture?

Maybe you misunderstood, Calvin isn't actually in this business. He called it quits the day he got his walkbehind stuck at the bottom of some morons (his own) staircase, where he casted it in cement and it still rests today. For the past few years, he has been traveling around to motels demonstrating the toaster he attached to the end of his articulating hedge trimmer, helping at the continental breakfasts. In the winter months (11 out of 12 in Canada) he can be found blowing snow around with his shop vac and stihl 900 (or whatever other absurd machine he claims to have), and twiddling his thumbs until he can cut his own lawn 2 times in July before the snow hits again...

lawnman_scott
05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
That picture was posted here a couple years ago. I dont know by who, but i have seen it before.

Shuter
05-31-2005, 10:44 PM
That is how I started. Although I would not do it today, unless I had to because of breakdowns. My WBs put on less than 1 hour per week. Aren't Z Turns great.

cantoo
05-31-2005, 11:10 PM
We (my wife) loads equipment for the jobs to be done that day. It may be the Walker alone, the Walker and 61" Bobcat, just the Bobcat or whatever. Sometimes she gets ahead of schedule that day and ends up cutting a big lawn with the Walker. This sometimes saves a trip back to an area for one job. Other times I will load up the JD front mount to cut a rough job and have to use it to do a nice finish job.
Maybe this is the only big job this guy has. I would still have a velke if it was my only job though cause I'm lazy.

Mo Green
05-31-2005, 11:14 PM
Maybe you misunderstood, Calvin isn't actually in this business. He called it quits the day he got his walkbehind stuck at the bottom of some morons (his own) staircase, where he casted it in cement and it still rests today. For the past few years, he has been traveling around to motels demonstrating the toaster he attached to the end of his articulating hedge trimmer, helping at the continental breakfasts. In the winter months (11 out of 12 in Canada) he can be found blowing snow around with his shop vac and stihl 900 (or whatever other absurd machine he claims to have), and twiddling his thumbs until he can cut his own lawn 2 times in July before the snow hits again...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ............ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pagefault
05-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Mowing a Large Wide Open eXpanse of Turf with What looks to be a 44" Toro Belt Drive w/No Riding Attachment ?

If we Were Cutting this w/That Equip. it Would be for a Loss....Prices Must be Good Somewhere !

I was thinking that it looked like a nice, easy small job. No fence to trim around. No houses to trim around. No trees to trim around. From the looks of it, he made a dozen 200' passes and was done.

Who couldn't make money doing that?

eshreve1234
05-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm stupid, I mow all my properties with a 54" Walk-behind. Largest is 5 acres.

txlawnking
05-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Who couldn't make money doing that?

Obviously, Calvin Our Newfie/canook resident storytroll..

Runner
05-31-2005, 11:41 PM
It takes me back to the day...mowing a 6 hour apt. complex with a 52" John deere walk behind. I had the fancy sit on sulky, but still walked several areas.I also di some professional plazas...walking them out. This was back in the early to mid 80's. Gotta do whatcha gotta do to get 'er done with watcha got. Back then, I was GRATEFUL to have what I had. .......come to think of it,..I still am.

DynaMow
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
who cares. looks like from that picture, that he does a damn nice job on that lawn. why would it ever matter to anybody, including you, but him and whoever owns the property. you have no clue of his deal for them, or his deal at home. what you mow with don't make anybody different then anybody. dont fall when you get off your high horse!

impactlandscaping
06-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I have a question. Where is there a Thiftway store in Canada?? I thought they were all in Washington state.

South Florida Lawns
06-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Could be possible.

Fareway Lawncare
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
I See the Error of My Ways...We All have to Start Somewhere.

This Poor Kid is Doing his Best to Survive...Sweating it Out...Praying and Walking his Feet to the Bone for Better Equipment and Dreaming of Building a Real Green Industry Company.

It Brings a Tear to My Eye.

pagefault
06-01-2005, 12:55 AM
That mowing didn't take any him more than 15 minutes. If that's what you call "sweating it out", that explains a lot.

brucec32
06-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Maybe he's an illegal alien. He is paid $8/hour in cash. His boss is inside in the a/c at a table having a Jamocha shake.

Popsicle
06-01-2005, 01:22 AM
I have a question. Where is there a Thiftway store in Canada?? I thought they were all in Washington state.

Hey, what do you know about Thriftway? Transplant?

BTW, the guy did a good job.

WoodBrothersLC
06-01-2005, 01:23 AM
He's doin a heck of a job, and I bet that he would only do it if the price was right.

-Mark

fairwayCuts
06-01-2005, 01:30 AM
You gotta start somehow. I used to mow a 4 acre lot with a 36" with no velke! It really sucked, but at the time I wasn't working full time and didn't have the money for a ztr. Put long hard hours in and it'll pay off in the end payup

Fareway Lawncare
06-01-2005, 06:25 PM
It takes me back to the day...mowing a 6 hour apt. complex with a 52" John deere walk behind. ... Gotta do whatcha gotta do to get 'er done with watcha got. Back then, I was GRATEFUL to have what I had.

I Agree..These Crazy Kids out Their are Busting a Hump to Make a Few Bucks...Poor Guy Probably has a Family to Feed and Can't Afford a Velke Right Now...

Back in the Day I used to Cut Lawns w/Just an Electric Weed Wacker and a Belly Full of Ambition.

lawnworker
06-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Maybe it Lawrence Stone in disguise. :waving: :waving:

rodfather
06-01-2005, 07:14 PM

LMAO...and I thought I was the only one who knew Kelvin's number. That was beautiful btw :D

freddyc
06-01-2005, 07:18 PM
I Agree..These Crazy Kids out Their are Busting a Hump to Make a Few Bucks...Poor Guy Probably has a Family to Feed and Can't Afford a Velke Right Now...

Back in the Day I used to Cut Lawns w/Just an Electric Weed Wacker and a Belly Full of Ambition.

So, did you buy a gas job yet?? ;)

Cleanmaxx Brian
06-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Maybe the guy works for that retailer (grounds keeper)???

Expert Lawns
06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
He has a dual axle trailer, so odds are he has another mower. Bigger? Maybe. In the shop? Maybe. He's doing what he needs to do to please his customers. My mower is down until Friday, so I have to go rent a demo for $75/day. Sure it's setting me back, but I will retain those customers.

impactlandscaping
06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey, what do you know about Thriftway? Transplant?

BTW, the guy did a good job.

I am guessing fareway doesn't even live in Canada by some of the pics I have seen. I did a search on Thriftway stores, and the only ones that came up are all in Washington. Then again, I highly doubt he took the picture at all...

shortgut
06-02-2005, 01:06 AM
maybe he is charging per hr and not flat rate

celawncare1
06-02-2005, 04:07 AM
In the meantime I'll mow it with my present equipment making money while you drive around taking pics of people. :waving:

Classic...LMAO! :laugh:

dcplace2004
06-02-2005, 04:28 AM
about yourself...the problems with many LCOs is that they worry about the other LCOs out there and "what are they doing." It is almost like scenes from "The Burbs" with Tom Hanks and the bunch...Oh my goodness, that guy is a scrub...oh my goodness, how can that guy be making money mowing with a 22 inch mower...Does that guy have an weedeater brand trimmer from wally world? I mow with a 22 inch mower and make enough money to support my family...I don't have a trailer, and 13k worth of equipment...I have no overhead and have little costs except a good quality blower, edger, trimmer and a 5k ford f150...while you were out there taking pictures, someone was making more money than you unless you have all your crews out there slaving for ya and making nothing but peanuts...When I see fellow LCOs or employees out there busting their arses, I am happy for them, as our city has many many houses and plenty of accounts...

rodfather
06-02-2005, 06:50 AM
I am guessing fareway doesn't even live in Canada by some of the pics I have seen. I did a search on Thriftway stores, and the only ones that came up are all in Washington. Then again, I highly doubt he took the picture at all...

I was under the impression he hailed from the Artic Circle...from pics of him and his mush dogs.

DLCS
06-02-2005, 06:51 AM
I was thinking he was from New Jersey. :p

rodfather
06-02-2005, 06:53 AM
I was thinking he was from New Jersey. :p

LOL, good one Mike. Unfortunately he wouldn't last very long here.

Fareway Lawncare
07-21-2005, 09:01 PM
This Guy Uses a Handheld Blower Also....it Took Him 10 Min to Blow a Few Grass Clippings...

I Went Over to Him and Said..."Hey Chief Why Don't You Use a Bigger Mower ?"

He Said He's Saving up For a Rider and to Mind My Own Business....You Try and Help & That is the Thanks You Get....Ungrateful Punk.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
07-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Too bad he didnt offer you a corncob and instructions :p :waving:

steve122
07-21-2005, 09:25 PM
This Guy Uses a Handheld Blower Also....it Took Him 10 Min to Blow a Few Grass Clippings...

I Went Over to Him and Said..."Hey Chief Why Don't You Use a Bigger Mower ?"

He Said He's Saving up For a Rider and to Mind My Own Business....You Try and Help & That is the Thanks You Get....Ungrateful Punk.
How is he an ungrateful punk for giving you the answer most of us would have?

topsites
07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
erm, pardon me ztr owners, but your mower costs TWICE as much as my wb new, and that wb looks like it could've been bought used... THOUSANDS of dollars less in start-up costs = lower / hour rates.
Maybe he's an L337 scrub like me, and I kick tail with nothing but wb's all day long, never have owned a ztr but 3 wb's keep me happy, if one breaks there's another one ready to go. Mine cuts 48" of path at 6+ mph, anything an acre or less in size makes my kind of competition no joke for ztr owners.

topsites
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
A velky would quadruple his production? :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a property alot larger than that that I presently mow with a 36 (no velky), or sometimes my old 48 WB. And it is still plenty profitable. Sure, I'd rather mow it with a $8000 60" ZTR, but I don't have 8k laying around at the moment. In the meantime I'll mow it with my present equipment making money while you drive around taking pics of people. :waving:

I'm with you except on the velke, that thing saves my tail, the velkes are permanent accessories on all my wb's, although you can walk the '95 52" sfs and if you're ready for a workout, the '98 48" will take you for an extreme walk... But there is no way you could walk the '05 48", that thing breaks your stride in high gear.
Higher production due to reduced operator fatique, only time I walk a wb is when I'm bored and feel like a work-out and have 5 yards or less that day.

topsites
07-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I See the Error of My Ways...We All have to Start Somewhere.

This Poor Kid is Doing his Best to Survive...Sweating it Out...Praying and Walking his Feet to the Bone for Better Equipment and Dreaming of Building a Real Green Industry Company.

It Brings a Tear to My Eye.

Oh go kiss the exhaust on my 15hp Kohler, LOL!

C.T. Lawn Care
07-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Dude, Look at the picture. That is no kid. He looks to be 30 maybe. The only kid around here is you. Why dont you just not post on here unless you have something useful to say! You post nothing but scrub and bashing people posts. GROW UP. This is a professional forum, either be professional or get lost!

splatz100
07-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Fareway,

Why dont you just cut grass and not worry about anyone else, but work on making your business better??

Fareway Lawncare
07-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I Even Offered to Let Him Use One my Backpacks to Blow the Lot after He Sweated Out that Lawn for 1hr w/no Velke w/that Tiny Belt Drive....That's Just the Kind of Guy I Am.

Poor Kid Drives a Cabover too...

Brianslawn
07-22-2005, 02:45 AM
I really didn't want to post on this naive thread but....maybe he's getting paid by the hour.

shouldnt he use a weedeter, then... or a pair of scissors. think how low your overhead would be with a fleet of scissors.

The C Man
07-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Those of you who read Fairyway's posts and then respond as if there's any truth or sincerity to them need to slap yourselves into reality and realize he's nothing but a bold faced liar and internet troll.

topsites
07-22-2005, 04:39 AM
There is one more thing:

Notice the letters on the gas tank, perhaps you can't make them out (I couldn't) but I don't have to see the word exact to know what it says:

TORO !!!

Look at what Toro has to say:

Toro's Floating Deck Gear Drive
The mid-size mower that landscape contractors rely upon. The great cut and enhanced performance of Toro's SFS cutting deck, coupled with Toro's exclusive T-Bar control system increases productivity while reducing operator fatigue.

so perhaps you should be concentrating on increased productivity as this would reduce our fatigue.

kclawnmowerman
07-22-2005, 05:59 AM
How many lawn do you have fareway? cause it seems to me you are allways on here and not out making money. Or do you just dream up all the big company you own? Let us know big boy.

scagmowingman
07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
I Even Offered to Let Him Use One my Backpacks to Blow the Lot after He Sweated Out that Lawn for 1hr w/no Velke w/that Tiny Belt Drive....That's Just the Kind of Guy I Am.

Poor Kid Drives a Cabover too...

Fareway that was nice of you to offer this. You should of got out mowed it for him with your big ztr and then told him he owed you 200.00. Then another 100.00 for being a stupid scrub.

Not everyone would be so kind as you fareway. way to go man.

Envy Lawn Service
07-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Looks like stripes from a 52" cut to me. and that's a pretty small patch of turf there. Maybe 15 passes wide by 150 feet long? Probably around 10K sq ft. He does a fine looking job too. It's easy to see where his part ends and the next guy's begins if you look close.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38111&stc=1

The only part that is worth mentioning here is that Arby's is one of the few fast food chains that takes pride in the appearance on the lawn and landscape. This guy is no scrub.

splatz100
07-25-2005, 05:47 PM
http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37529

I seem to remember you posting this clean up job, but where's the sulky?? You could have quadrupled your production :rolleyes:

Fareway Lawncare
07-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Looks like stripes from a 52" cut to me. .

it's a 44" Toro Belt.

I'm Surprised the Owner Hasn't Stepped Forward...He is a Member Here....Must be Ashamed.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
07-25-2005, 07:48 PM
it's a 44" Toro Belt.

I'm Surprised the Owner Hasn't Stepped Forward...He is a Member Here....Must be Ashamed.
What's there to be ashamed of? Looks just fine.